News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Tachometer jinking around

Started by metalwrkr, May 18, 2017, 09:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalwrkr

I have a 2005 Honda 90 in real nice shape.  Yesterday starting out I noticed my tach RPMs jinking around up and down even though the revs were steady at cruising speed.  The needle would jump from 4400 to 5000 to 3800 to 5400 all over the place.  it would settle down and star jumping again.  After a short time it settled down and worked fine.  The culprits are obviously; gage, wiring or sending unit where ever that is.  I will start by cleaning all contacts and spraying moisture displacement on them but where to go from there?  Anybody had this problem?  How would you troubleshoot this?  Thanks.......Russ K. 
metalwrkr:  Sent from my rotary phone.  I have two speeds; Dead Slow and All Stop
05 17SR
06 Honda 90
2016  Honda 8 kicker
05 EZloader oil bath

Hydroman

On many tachs there is a selector switch (may be under a small plug) to match the tachs to a specific engine. 

Just rotate the switch several time and it may wipe the contacts clean. Make sure you check the as found position so you make sure it get left in that position.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Threeweight

If it worked fine previously, his tach is likely already matched to his engine.

I would suspect either a bad ground, or bad wiring.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Diablo

Tack signal comes from the alternator. Check your connections there and at the tack for tightness or corrosion, clean and tighten. You could also be having indications of a part that is failing. Good luck.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Hydroman

Threeweights,

I realize that the tach worked previously.  However it is no uncommon for the contacts in the selector switch to develop a poor contact over time from moisture and just be subject of bouncing around.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Chief of the Boat

Do you have the standard analog Honda tach with an hour meter?   I agree with Jim on the contacts on the selector switch corrosion under the cowling.
:twocents: 

DevMah

All the info so far sending you in the right direction....

The black wire on your tach is B- the black yellow switched 12v B+ and the gray goes to the regulator/rectifier.

Check you connections at the gauge and the connector at the engine.
It is possible that you may have loose/bad connections, broken signal wire a failing tach or rectifer.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

rasslingref

My 1999 Honda 90 does the same thing. I have a corroded connection at the gauge but I'm too lazy to fix it. It's the ground  wire that gets corroded and I finally found the source for the water coming into that area. Horn cover leaking.   Hehe
OK so I did fix it but I'm still lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

metalwrkr

Was finally able to get in touch with my "ACE" Honda tech late Friday.  He said this is a common intermittent problem with the causes from most to least probable being: moisture on contacts, corrosion on contacts, bad corroded or incorrect wiring and last, failure on the sending side (engine).  Solution: clean all contacts both at the gage (this includes rotating the tach selector switch) and engine (there is a junction box at the engine) and any junctions or fuses in line.  Spray these connections with moisture displacer/ corrosion block.  Run the boat and hopefully the problem is solved.  If not, beg borrow or creatively acquire a temp tach that works and hook it up and run the boat. If it works correctly then your original tach is bad (don't forget to return the borrowed tach). This procedure will solve 90% of the problems and is fairly owner friendly to do.  If there is still a problem and you are not a more advanced trouble shooter, his suggestion is to bring the boat in for service.  All his info seems to jibe with forum input.  I have now done all the cleaning and spraying but have not had a chance to retest.  I guess another fishing trip is in order.  Thanks for all the input and Rasslingref you really should jump on that fix!.....RK
metalwrkr:  Sent from my rotary phone.  I have two speeds; Dead Slow and All Stop
05 17SR
06 Honda 90
2016  Honda 8 kicker
05 EZloader oil bath

Foxsea

Mercury outboard I had with that issue, found out had a bad voltage regulator. Another option to check.
Foxsea

2015 21ft Sea Explorer
2016 150 Etec

milos dad

The Honda tach on the Arima I bought had the needle jumping around when doing the river trial.  Dealer replaced the tach and it has worked fine since.

M D
Rick
87 Sea Hunter with 94 Honda 45
2009 6 hp Merc kicker