Author Topic: Transducer die?  (Read 524 times)

Offline DSledgeR

Transducer die?
« on: May 11, 2017, 11:58:50 AM »
I have a Lowrance Elite 7 HDS that was working great until my trip home from shrimping yesterday.  The GPS, etc. works fine, but the sonar isn't seeing bottom regardless of speed/depth.  I tried a power down, power up a couple of times with no effect.

Any ideas?  Do these things just die after awhile?  Is there an easy way to tell if the transducer is working?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 09:12:38 AM by DSledgeR »

Offline Peddler

Re: Transducer die?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 02:13:38 PM »
I've never had one die, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.  With the boat on the trailer, you should be able to hear it tick/click.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Kimbrey

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »
I'm not sure about smaller transducers but you can damage the larger ones running out of the water.  I make a special point of unplugging the transducer from the DSM unit before the boat is put on the trailer. 
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth

Offline fishmiester

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 04:49:45 PM »
I have the same unit with the same problem. I mostly use the 7 for the gps screen, and I have an older dedicated fishfinder that gives me great bottom tracking and imagery.  My Elite 7 works fantastic for all the gps functions, but not so much for fishfinding.
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

Offline Salmon Hobo

• Coho
  • “Genius: the ability to prolong one's childhood.”
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 05:39:49 PM »
Go over your settings as there are a few that turn off the transducer or turn down the sensitivity..so check that perhaps..

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 10:01:17 PM »
Go over your settings as there are a few that turn off the transducer or turn down the sensitivity..so check that perhaps..

+1

My Humminbird has a "sonar off" function on the start and unit off screen.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 06:21:05 AM »
When my old fish finder doesn't work it's because asome debris kicked the xducer up!  This never happens on the through hull unit.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 01:04:43 PM »
I had the same problem but n an older Eagle Cuba 300.
Performing a Master Reset solved the problem for me.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline DSledgeR

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 09:18:33 AM »
I'll go try and listen to it "click" today.  I never run it out of the water, so that isn't an issue, and it looks as though it hasn't budged from its' original mounting location/angle.  I'll run through the setup steps with it in the water and report back

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 10:19:34 AM »

I have had my contacts on the connector get corroded. I had to un-plug/re-plug several times to get a good connection. Then I added dielectric grease to the contacts.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline dbhazjack

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 10:58:48 AM »
I've lost sonar on 2 HDS Gen 3 units. In both cases it was the receiver (head unit) not the ducer. It wasn't just a loss of bottom, but as if the sonar was shut off, no scrolling, nothing. Everything else still worked.

After much testing and research and guidance from forum members, I believe the problem was damage to the head unit caused by multiple voltage drops which were a result of some damaged downrigger motors (corrosion) and inadequate wiring from the batts.

This may or may not be your issue, but having just been through this I would start with testing your ducer with a buddies head unit (if possible) and/or testing your head unit with a good ducer (I have a spare I could loan you). That should determine where the problem is. If it is the head, then survey your electrical system, beginning at the batteries (good clean corrosion free ground and power connections).

A good multimeter is a must for checking for voltage variations both low and spikes. On a boat it isn't a matter of if, but when does corrosion, age, and additions cause problems.

Good luck, let me know if I can help. I'm not far from you in Gig Harbor.

Dave
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker.

Offline DSledgeR

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 10:41:37 AM »
Thanks Dave, will do.  I went out and checked it, and it's clicking.....or more presicely, buzzing.  I can feel vibrations when i put my finger on it.  Will test tomorrow.

Offline DSledgeR

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 12:20:39 PM »
Took the boat out yesterday for an in-water test, and reset all settings.  No joy.  Then as I was headed back to the marina, viola!  The damn thing started working......perfectly. 

I got the boat back up, unplugged, and pulled the entire transducer cord from the head unit all the way to the back of the boat to check it for nicks, or cuts.  It looks fine.  Rehung the cord and put dielectric grease on the connectors.

Dave, if it quits again, I may contact you to see if I could borrow that transducer.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 12:39:36 PM by DSledgeR »