News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Is an Arima a good family boat ?

Started by strokersquid, November 29, 2011, 11:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strokersquid

I'm looking for a first boat, and since I really want a small cuddy 17-19', ( while in my friend's 19' Seaswirl, my 11 year old and his friend like to escape me and his dad in the cuddy ), Arimas seem to be a good fit. But, I keep hearing they are designed for fishing and not much else, or that they "pound" badly in waves. My use would be primarily in colder weather ( summers are jet ski time ) on the SF delta ( minimal waves, just wakes) but also some jaunts on the SF Bay where waves can get to 5 feet or so. Since these are designed for the Pacific Northwest, I would think it would handle these conditions well enough. Passengers would be 4 adults max. Mostly touring. Maybe someday fishing and some skiing. Do these uses sound right ? I keep hearing the flat, non-deep V design makes them handle roughly on waves.

croaker stroker

I have owned a few boats with various hull designs, some with a deep vee and others with a not so deep vee. The Arima hull design is unique and Arima owns patent on the design.  It has a "not so deep vee" with "sponsons" extending beyond the transom which adds "side to side" stability and helps with additional flotation and lift for quick planing with a smaller HP Motor ( better fuel economy) Arimas do "slap" short interval waves, but that is the trade off for a boat that will not list over when you walk from side to side. Boston Whalers and other tri-hulls are stable side to side, but slap much worse than the Arima (IMO).  Arimas have a very high freeboard which I like because my granddaughters go fishing with me occasionally and they can't easily fall out.

My Arima is very seaworthy. I use it regularly in seas with mixed waves of 3' to 5'. You wont be sorry you bought an Arima.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Grizzle

Re: riding roughly in waves - the simple answer is basically yes that is true.  But as usual there is a trade off and in this case what you give up in ride you gain back in fuel economy and stability.   So with Arima's you'll often see smaller engines and better mpg then on a comparable deep V. 

If I primarily wanted to occasionally tour ride with four adults in 5' swells in comfort an Arima wouldnt be my first choice.  A 21' boat will better riding across 5' waves then the 17!
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

GoodDays

If you want a safe, economocal, well built, boat that looks great then Yes !!!!  an Arima is a great family boat !

GoodDays Greg

strokersquid

Packman

I boat a 19' Sea Ranger on the San Francisco Bay year around, mostly for fishing but also to give tours to friends and relatives.  The boat will handle almost anything that the bay can dish out.  I always feel safe in the boat and know that even those passengers who don't boat frequently feel safe also. With the jump seats in the back I have had 4 people on the boat in comfort. Even in the rough stuff the guys in the back are riding in comfort because the back of the boat is the softest riding part of the boat, where all the weight is.  Any boat is a compromise, what the Arima does is give a safe ride in rough conditions and the ride is controlled by speed and trim.  In the rough stuff I slow down and trim the bow down, letting the bow cleave the waves.  Because of the relatively flat (12º deadrise) transom, the boat does not rock back and forth like a deep V does, which is actually safer because passengers are not being thrown around as much.  It also makes the boat much more stable when two or more are on one side, like netting a fish.  I have a friend who has a 26 foot deep V and I prefer my boat on the ocean because it doesn't rock as much as his boat. When the seas kick up I trim the engine down, lower the trim tabs a notch and slow down to 12 mph or so, no problems and minimal pounding.  The economical operation is also a big plus, I usually get 5 to 6 mpg running the 115 Mercury at cruising speed, around 22 to 25 mph.  It is a rare day that I burn more than 10 gallons of gas.  An Arima would be a good choice in the Bay Area.
Sea Ranger 19, Mercury 115 4-stroke

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Strokersquid...you've got a pretty good summary of the pluses from others here. I ditto Packman as I have a 19 Sea Ranger Skip Tower and am often on SF Bay.  Bigger is better for what you want to do. One needs to recognize that there is no perfect boat but an Arima of anysize is the best compromise and has the most bang for the buck. If I still had kids at home, I would be dragging them around on tubes and water toys behind any of the Arimas...just not in the bay (duh). 
(ex owner Mako 17 Center Console - PennYan 24 Cuddy - C dory 16 Angler - Arima 16 Sea Explorer - Sunrunner 21 Flush Deck Cuddy)
Good luck
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Strokersquid....PS check out Russian Hooks post to Caston re a 19. He doesn't talk much but when he does he says a lot. good man!

fishing eagle

Arima's are great fishing boats and wonderfully seaworthy but they were never built for speed. An Arima was never designed with skiing in mind. If you want to water ski, you really need to look for a different boat. If you just want to pull the kids around on a tube... no problem.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

Salmon King

Just curious but...

Where does everyone get this idea that Arimas are a rough riding boat???

I've seen this mentioned several times on this and other forums and I got to tell ya...
I think my Arima is a provides me an EXCELLENT ride!  How many of you have ever ridden (or fished from) a C-Dory?  To me that was a far rougher ride.
I have had my SC out in some very, VERY nasty stuff (on purpose I might add), I've even submarined the bow a couple of times and this is one of the smoothest rides I've ever experienced .
I've compared it to a Trophy, Thompson, C-Dory, Various metal hulls, and even a SeaSwirl.  For me...Arima provides the best ride.

For a Family boat...I'd prefer a larger 21-22'er especially for cruising.

Terry B.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Threeweight

I'd be happy to take you for a spin on the lower Columbia when the afternoon winds kick up 2-4' wind waves.  Under those conditions, I struggle to stay on plane in my 17' without beating everyone on board up pretty bad.  A boat designed to ride smoothly in the big stuff (Grady White, Whaler, Sea Sport, etc...) can go much faster.

Of course, they would burn 2-3 times the fuel I do!

I agree Arima's are an excellent family fishing boat.  The 16' and 17' are a great all-around boat... very safe, very economical to run, very tough, and very forgiving in their handling.  They are not fast, but they were not designed to be.  They are not going to let you run at high speed in rough water, but they are not supposed to.  Slow down and they will handle some incredibly big water with confidence and safety.

Most of the Arima ride complaints tend to come in regards to the shorter (17' and under) hulls, and from folks who want to go fast (25-30 mph).  If you are ok going 15-20 mph in the rough stuff, they are great and much safer than a tippy, non-foam filled hull. 

I found that a set of trim tabs help immensely with the ride.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

fishing eagle

My Arima is not my first boat but I think my 11th or 12th boat that I have owned. But my Arima is the first boat that my wife has really enjoyed! It is the first boat that she helps me wash and polish. It is the very first boat that she has not complained about in rough water conditions and the first boat that she has never said slow down and take me to shore when water conditions become rough. My Arima is the first boat that I have owned that my wife goes aboard often or when I ask her to go with me; all my other boats she avoided often.

Now I will admit that my wife and I were fantastically happy after I installed the Attwood Centric SAS seats because our ride became super comfortable in rough water conditions. She really appreciates the Centric seats because she is no longer complaining about the "bouncing" if you know what I mean.

Yes Arima's are family boats. My wife use to go aboard my boats once or twice during the season and now she is aboard the Arima a couple times per month. She is even doing some fishing!!!
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Stroker...just a thought. I live in Elk Grove/Sac area and there are numerous models of arimas around here that I can show you in a couple of hours. Lunch is on me. Just PM me or send me your email and I will confirm back.

SRanger

Is an Arima a good family boat?  YES!
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

GregE

Especially with the Hardtop, Alaska Bulkhead combo.  YOu have a pilot house model that is especially nice here in the NW weather and it adds security for your systems.   :smile1:

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

croaker stroker

That picture belongs in an Arima commercial.  :clap:

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

strokersquid

Quote from: Liverwurst19SRSKIP on December 01, 2011, 10:23:03 AM
Stroker...just a thought. I live in Elk Grove/Sac area and there are numerous models of arimas around here that I can show you in a couple of hours. Lunch is on me. Just PM me or send me your email and I will confirm back.

I would like to do that. Anyplace there are waves there ( lived in Sac 20 years ago but was not a boater then ) ?

strokersquid

Quote from: Threeweight on November 30, 2011, 05:10:33 PM
I'd be happy to take you for a spin on the lower Columbia when the afternoon winds kick up 2-4' wind waves.  Under those conditions, I struggle to stay on plane in my 17' without beating everyone on board up pretty bad.  A boat designed to ride smoothly in the big stuff (Grady White, Whaler, Sea Sport, etc...) can go much faster.
I know it is not a ski boat, but how fast would you expect to go with a 115 HP on  a 17 foot ?Of course, they would burn 2-3 times the fuel I do!

I agree Arima's are an excellent family fishing boat.  The 16' and 17' are a great all-around boat... very safe, very economical to run, very tough, and very forgiving in their handling.  They are not fast, but they were not designed to be.  They are not going to let you run at high speed in rough water, but they are not supposed to.  Slow down and they will handle some incredibly big water with confidence and safety.

Most of the Arima ride complaints tend to come in regards to the shorter (17' and under) hulls, and from folks who want to go fast (25-30 mph).  If you are ok going 15-20 mph in the rough stuff, they are great and much safer than a tippy, non-foam filled hull. 

strokersquid

i know it is not a fast boat, but what kind of speed on glass would you expect with a 115 on a 17 foot ?

Tursiops

As the saying goes...
It's easier to have a lot of pleasure on a fishing boat than to do a lot of fishing on a pleasure boat.
Mummichog: 1995 Sea Explorer 1511, Mercury 75HP ELPTO

Threeweight

Quote from: strokersquid on December 02, 2011, 03:59:06 PM
i know it is not a fast boat, but what kind of speed on glass would you expect with a 115 on a 17 foot ?

35-40 mph, depending on the prop.  Drop down to a 90 and you can expect 30-35 mph, depending on prop.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Caston

Quote from: Threeweight on November 30, 2011, 05:10:33 PM
I'd be happy to take you for a spin on the lower Columbia when the afternoon winds kick up 2-4' wind waves.  Under those conditions, I struggle to stay on plane in my 17' without beating everyone on board up pretty bad.  

These two comments got my attention as I've been looking at 17'ers to use primarily in the Columbia. I'm not looking to win any races but I may have trouble getting the family exited about a day on the river if they're getting beat up that bad. With the trim tabs can you cruise in these conditions in relative comfort? I'm fine with keeping it under 25mph but would hope at minimum to maintain planing speed.

'94 Sea Chaser 17
'97 Honda 90
'99 Honda 8
everyone goes home

Danno

With a light load, you'll top 35 mph easily
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

wedocq

The cuddy cabin is a God send for those days fishing is slow and the kids get bored! IMO, the whole "rough ride" thing goes out the window with a pair of hydraulic trim tabs. I have taken mine 55 mile out into the Pacific and have never felt unsafe.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.