Author Topic: Motor mount height on a 17 Sea Chaser?  (Read 173 times)

Offline BayWolf

Motor mount height on a 17 Sea Chaser?
« on: May 04, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »
90 Sea Chaser with a Suzuki 90 horse.  I think the motor may be mounted too low?  Right now its sitting on the very top hole on the motor mount (which is the lowest the motor will sit down in the water.  I know about going back and looking at the cave plate when running, but I've been solo in the boat and can't do that. Just wondering if anybody else has this same set up and where you have your motor height set?  I noticed that when sitting at idle, not underway, the exhaust port on the main is just above water level. This scares me since I know water going into the exhaust can't be a good thing! 
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:

Offline Threeweight

Re: Motor mount height on a 17 Sea Chaser?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 11:07:24 AM »
With the motor trimmed all the way down, take a yardstick or some other long straight edge and place it on the keel of the boat.  Where does the cavitation plate fall in relation to the keel?  It should be just about level with it.

A lot of guys are obsessing on raising the motor as high as possible.  The idea is you have less motor in the water, thus less drag, thus more top speed.  I've never found more top speed to be a major need on an Arima hull, so I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as the motor isn't sitting way low (as in the cav plate being 2+ inches below the keel).  :twocents:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 11:09:55 AM »
The starting point should be to extend a straight edge(board or ruler) along the bottom edge of the hull and the cavitation plate should be level with that.  Then adjust from there depending on how your boat runs.

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline BayWolf

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 11:16:20 AM »
Thanks, I will straight line it this afternoon.  Might have to put some weight up front to keep the butt from sitting so low when not underway.  I kinda feel like I'm doing a wheelie! 
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag: