Author Topic: Chesapeake Bay striper season  (Read 422 times)

Offline ChesapeakeArima

Chesapeake Bay striper season
« on: May 02, 2017, 06:21:06 AM »
I know there are not a lot of east coast guys on here but I'll throw up a report anyway.  Finally got the boat all together (almost) with my new to me etec 115 and hydraulic steering both of which are awesome so far.  The boat is in the water in a slip in Shady Side, MD on the western shore of the middle Chesapeake Bay.  Striper season opened last month but i just got out for the first time this past weekend.  I usually troll a 4 rod spread but two of my reels were with a buddy leaving me only two rods.  Here on the Chesapeake it's not uncommon for charter boats to run 15 - 20+ rods out at one time and most recreational guys put out at least 6. 

So, two was all I had and that's what we went with.  We got out to the trolling grounds, in the spring season typically in 30' - 60' of water, and dropped our two tandem rigs over.  We were only at it for 30 min when a rod went down and my dad had his hands full with a feisty 40' striper that we got in the boat.  After that, we trolled for another few hours with no more luck, but with only two rods I'll take that any day.  The fact that we only had two rods didn't go unnoticed, a guy we passed as we were trolling said, "Only two rods huh, I kind of like that takes a lot of the work out of it."  He said it very jokingly but I did find it kind of refreshing using only 2 instead of 4 or 6 rods.  We could easily maneuver without fear of tangling the lines and didn't have to deal with setting, checking, and retrieving all the lines.  Now, my attitude may have been different if we didn't catch anything, but the fact is we had a great morning on the water and a nice fish dinner later on.

1997 19SR  2008 E Tec 115

Offline Rokefin

Re: Chesapeake Bay striper season
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 07:33:23 AM »
Great fish - nice pic's. Thanks for the share, it's good to see some east coast action.
Boatless
Gone - 1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline beancounter

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 08:38:05 PM »
Nice job I am a Virginia arimaholic but just finished fishing at Neah Bay,Washington. Our striped bass fishery in Va has crashed thanks to our legislators
allowing Omega Protein to rape our waters of menhaden. I will be fishing for striped bass out of Reedville where I can fish in Md waters this year.

Offline ChesapeakeArima

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 11:15:51 AM »
I have heard about Omega Protein and what they are doing, it's a shame.  I would not advocate putting an entire company out of business, but it sure would be nice if VA would impose some stricter regulations on them.  I don't know enough about what they harvest the menhaden for specifically, but hopefully in the future there will be commercial algae farms replacing the menhaden fishery.  I just hope that when that time comes, that it's not too late.
1997 19SR  2008 E Tec 115

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
Nice pictures!
I have never had the pleasure of fishing for/catching Stripers...
From what I've read I'm really missing a treat!
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Online BestBoats

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 04:29:18 PM »
Nice work!  :beerchug:
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 06:53:29 AM »
 :applause:

Hope to see you out there this year.....I'm around the corner in deale in rock hold creek... Grew up in cedarhurst in the summers of the 60's.

I've got a 19' sea ranger hard top with dual Honda 50's.

Spend a lot of time right out and up toward Thomas Point.
 About a month out!!!! Can't wait  :whistle: