Author Topic: In Hull Transducer  (Read 802 times)

Offline blindmonkey

In Hull Transducer
« on: April 30, 2017, 05:27:43 PM »
I am considering going to an in hull transducer from my current transom mount. I know the advantage of thru hull however I want to research this type. If anyone has pictures and information about their in hull installs I would appreciate the information. Thanks
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Offline milos dad

Re: In Hull Transducer
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 05:34:46 PM »
Hi Lorne:

My Arima came with an old Lowrance sounder with the transducer mounted in the hull.  It works quite well, but a monochrome model which only shows depth.  I bought a new Garmin DV55 fishfinder type with an external transducer and have had quite a job getting it to not lose bottom.  I would consider mounting my Garmin transducer in the bilge pump area where the Lowrance is located.
Rick
87 Sea Hunter with 94 Honda 45
2009 6 hp Merc kicker

Offline Tom Mac

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 05:59:35 PM »
On my last boat, I use cold cure epoxy and glued it in. It worked with no problems.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Offline Packman

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 05:15:33 PM »
I glued my Lowrance transducer behind the bilge pumps using a whole tube of silicon (I cut off the end and squeezed it all out, trying to avoid any bubbles which can compromise your readings). It has worked perfectly for years, just as well as it did on the transom. I highly recommend mounting it this way.
Sea Ranger 19, Mercury 115 4-stroke

Online HemiGTX

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 05:32:34 PM »
BM:  I received your PM.  I just got back from Neah Bay.  I'll pull the rear panels off and post some pictures.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Offline blindmonkey

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 06:23:14 PM »
Thanks HemiGTX and other members for your comments. Still actively considering this option.
Lorne

Online HemiGTX

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 07:25:13 PM »
It's a good option, and I would do it exactly the same when it's time to upgrade. 

Offline straiteagle

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 09:13:25 AM »
Installed a standard (transom mount) transducer in the bilge behind the gas tank on my Sl22 in 2006-- using 11 years with no problems at all with no interference when underway as I've had when it was transom mounted.
Pick the most level spot in the bilge, usually that will have one layer of fiberglass.  Mounted mine inside a 4 inch section 4 inch diameter poly pipe, the pipe glued to the fiberglass.  Used a really large glob of silicone to mount the transducer inside the pipe.  There are now "puck" style transducers made for "shoot through the hull" applications that I would use instead of the standard transom mount transducer that I used back in 2006.

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 10:34:32 AM »
My original transducer was silicones in place also...worked great!  When I got the new HDS unit I had it installed it on the transom.  I lose Bottom frequently now...don't like that much.  Occasionally I even have to cycle the power off/on which resets the trip and other information.  Don't care much for that either.
I know several folks that have them siliconed in place and they say they can see no loss of detail or depth in their HDS units.

I'll probably reroute mine if the boat don't sell soon.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline Ssericz

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 10:45:16 AM »
If your loosing bottom at speed which you should still be reading your ducer is too high up and getting air under it

I went with a thru hull as I wanted to keep water temp and accuracy but the transom is soo cluttered with tabs and such

Pardon the dirty bilge this is an old picture

Online HemiGTX

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 09:21:17 PM »

Online HemiGTX

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 09:23:03 PM »

Online HemiGTX

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 09:26:22 PM »
I apologize for taking so long to post these pictures.  I removed the tank so you could get a clear picture of where the transducer is located.  Note that the transducer isn't straddling the centerline of the boat.  It's offset to starboard to maintain the functionality of the bilge.

Also note that the transducer is removed in the first picture (the transducer 'box' is bonded to the hull.  The tank cannot be removed with the transducer in place.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:30:50 PM by HemiGTX »

Offline blindmonkey

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 10:47:39 PM »
Looks great, thanks for the great pictures and removing the tank to clarify the location. That is a large transducer  :beerchug:
Lorne

Online HemiGTX

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 03:44:39 AM »
It fits, but just barely.  If you decide to go Tha route, you will find that it pretty much only fits in one place.  Not a lot of options.

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 08:00:44 AM »
OK Hemi, Thanks for helping me spend my money as well!   :biggrin: 
I am going to work towards adding a CP470 and the M265LH transducer to my Raymarine system as well.   After talking to you and looking at your pictures I think that will be a good option for me.   My only question that is left is wondering if the low/high unit is better for my salmon and bottom fishing or should I consider the Low/Medium unit.    Guess I will be making some more calls.  most of my fishing is in the under 500' deep.

I
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »
My little transom mount 83/200 Humminbird keeps bottom 300' at 30 mph after I lowered it about 1/2" below the hull.  (and running the cable on the port side away from interference)
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Kyle

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 05:37:54 PM »
I had a b164 installed in front of the gas tank behind the fish box works great.

Offline blue heron

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 09:55:26 AM »
This spring I installed a new Raymarine A77 FF/GPS with a 200/50 hz sounder, and an Airmar P79 (600Watt) In-Hull transducer.  I chose the A77 vs the A78 (with chirp) because I wanted deep water use while halibut fishing.  Well...,  I fished halibut at just deeper than 500 feet this season and found I lost bottom contact at 500 feet which was disappointing.  So far, the P79 seems to work OK except in the deep water.  I think the 600 watts is a bit under powered for 500' deep.  Before halibut season next year I may decide to install a 1000 Watt In-Hull transducer but due to cost I'll keep the P79 through salmon season this year to see how it works at less depth.  Does anybody have performance information for deeper than 500' of water with a 1000 watt, 200/50 hz, in-hull transducer?
SR-19
115 Yamaha
8 Yamaha

Online HemiGTX

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 10:27:56 AM »
I have a 1kw CHIRP transducer.  It holds bottom at any fishable depth.  Fished halibut in 950' out of Westport last year, and hold bottom in 1500' even when cruising out to the offshore banks.

Only time it loses bottom is if you are really hauling the mail in very deep water (well over 1500'), when fishing in very deep water when it's so rough that the boat is pitching and rolling too much, or when backtrolling at 3/4 + throttle causing too many bubbles to go under the boat.