Author Topic: Yamaha T8 tiller throttle frozen  (Read 209 times)

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
Yamaha T8 tiller throttle frozen
« on: April 06, 2017, 07:45:08 PM »
The throttle on my 2004 T8 has been getting increasingly difficult to turn.  When I checked for pre-fishing, it was just plain frozen.  Being stubborn, and having a couple of hours, I managed to fix it myself (saving a couple hundred at the local boat shop).

Fairly easy to do and parts readily available at Boats.net.  What I did:

1. Turn tiller onto it's back and remove electric tilt switch (if you have one)  should be three screws.  DO NOT disconnect any wires, DO NOT remove tiller from motor.
2.  2 brackets hold the tilt system wiring in place (3 - 10mm bolts), remove the bolts and CAREFULLY set them aside.  Move the tilt wiring assembly out of the way.
3. Remove the screw found in the rubber handle
4. Carefully work the handle assembly (wriggle it) free of the tiller handle.  It will likely, but not necessarily, come as one part.  There is a sleeve inside the rubber handle.  Separate the two once off the tiller.  Friction fit, so no more screws to remove.
5. Remove the 3/4 inch long serious spring with a washer on each side (one of the washers might be in the metal assembly part removed in step 4) from the throttle shaft
6. Carefully remove the plastic sleeve aligning the throttle control rod in the handle.
7.  Remove the cotter key (dang! It is small isn't it) from the throttle lock wing screw assembly and remove that screw from tiller
8.  Tip the throttle control rod aside
9. Clean up all corrosion and lube every possible friction point (that is where my problems were ).
10. order missing/lost parts,or parts need replacement and impatiently await their arrival.
10. re-assemble in reverse order of disassembly
11. Marvel at how easily the throttle works now..
12.  Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.   :clap:   :bowdown:

StreamFixer
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:50:37 PM by StreamFixer »
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline Markshoreline

Re: Yamaha T8 tiller throttle frozen
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:22:07 PM »
Nice write up. 

SF does your 2004 have the emergency shut off at the end of the tiller like the newer ones?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline beancounter

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 03:46:31 AM »
Russ I am sure your taking the time to write that up will help some other T-8 owners. You can now leave the corner and play with the others. :biggrin:

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 07:52:13 AM »
Nice write up. 

SF does your 2004 have the emergency shut off at the end of the tiller like the newer ones?

Mark :: No, the e-shut off is about midway on the tiller

Jimmie ::  Thank you   :biggrin:
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline wedocq

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 08:18:23 AM »
That's funny! I just did this exact procedure, but for a completely different reason. I was going thru the motor and decided to run it a few minutes. I don't normally put motors in gear while on the muffs, but I wanted to make sure everything was working properly. When I tried putting it into gear, the connection between the gear shifter and shifter cable totally disintegrated! Luckily it was just a $20 part. Nice write up Russ.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki DF175 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.