Author Topic: Sea Legend Bilge Pump Questions  (Read 562 times)

Offline Rjr812

Sea Legend Bilge Pump Questions
« on: April 03, 2017, 10:00:53 AM »
Hello guys. I have a question on my 22'. born in 2005.  The are 3 bilge pumps on the boat.  The fwd one is powered off of a switch that that says auto on and standby.  When in auto on, the pumps runs regardless of bilge level so I don't understand the auto function.  The other position is standby which does nothing.

The aft pump operated off the panel other panel switch is manual on off and works fine.
The other pump in the aft bilge does not work and I can't find any power to it.  It is not powered off of the switch and I'm having a hard time chasing wires.

Any ideas?   Thanks.  Robert :anyone:
Arima 22' Sea Legend 2005 w/ 250 hp Etec - 2006, Yamaha 9.9
🇺🇸 Dutch 142

(509) 430-2367  cell
(360) 406-1578. cell when fishing

Offline gfakkema

Re: Sea Legend Bilge Pump Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »
I believe that mine is set up the same way. The forward bilge pump and one of the rears is tied to the switch panel at the helm and the other rear is tied to a float switch. I'll take a look and report back tonight if I remember.
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

Offline gfakkema

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 05:13:49 PM »
I just looked at it and they sound similar, but vary slightly. I have two switches on my panel, Bilge 1 and Bilge 2. They are both SPST meaning they are each On or Off. I don't have an "auto on" feature on either switch. Not sure if they changed it over years (mine is 2001). Only one of the aft bilge pumps is "auto" via a float switch in the bilge. All pumps are wired and operational though.

If I were you, I would get the float switch (if you don't already have one) and power the pump directly from the battery and through the float. I don't have one yet, but I plan on wiring in a buzzer alarm as well so that you know when the pump is running. This will tell you if the pump is running and you can then diagnose whether it's because the bilge is actually full of water or if the float is just stuck in the up/on position due to debris.

Offline Rjr812

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 06:08:46 PM »
Thanks for the info.  One more question.  In the aft bilge, where is the level switch located?
🇺🇸 Dutch 142

(509) 430-2367  cell

Offline gfakkema

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 06:17:37 PM »
In between the most aft pump and the drain hole.

Offline Hydroman

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 09:17:05 PM »
The auto bilge pump on my last Arima didn't have float switch.  The pump started momentarily about every minute or two,  if the electronic module detected current flow equivalent to rated capacity and the pump ran unit the pump ran dry and the current decreased and pump shut off.  The problem with these pumps was the they would run your battery down over a period of time just starting and stopping to sense if there was any water in your bilge.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Offline Rjr812

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:03:37 AM »
Jim,

I tested for voltage going to the pump with negative results.  I I had the pump you speak of, I would expect that there would be voltage going to it and it would just sit there waiting for water.  I'm going to stick my big fat head in there again this morning and try to find a level switch somewhere.  I never saw one before, but you never know.  Minus finding a level switch, where would the voltage be fed from going to the pump?
🇺🇸 Dutch 142

(509) 430-2367  cell

Offline Hydroman

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »
Rob,

I don't know where you might find the control module..  The switch was a three position ( OFF-ON-AUTO).   I would start by checking to see if you have power at the switch and go from there. Did you check for power at the pump when with the switch in the ON position?

I would also check for any splices in the wiring between the switch and the pump, especially close to the pump and in the bilge.

Jim

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Offline straiteagle

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 11:32:56 AM »
HI Robert,
On my 2005 22SL, have 2 switches like you.  One for the rear pumps (2), switch is "off" or "on."  The forward bilge pump switch is "off" or "standby."  The standby mode will pump if there is water to pump out, but then cycle on and off the rest of the time, water or not- yes, will wear down the battery over a period of time.  I rarely have any water in the stern bilge as the forward bilge is almost always at the lower level.  Come on over if you need to check- just down the Bay from you.

Herb

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 12:03:07 PM »
   What's with the "standby" mode?  The pump cycles whether there's water or not? :hoboy:  Why not just "off" and "auto".  Auto being it only runs if water is detected.  I don't get it. :shrug9: 

Yat
Dear Arima:  Please "square-off" the Hunter transom.  Make it like my old 77 Silverline.  Thank you.  Oh yeah...please hurry; I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline Holoholo808

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 02:12:09 PM »
   What's with the "standby" mode?  The pump cycles whether there's water or not? :hoboy:  Why not just "off" and "auto".  Auto being it only runs if water is detected.  I don't get it. :shrug9: 

Yat

Some of the newer bilge pumps function like this to eliminate external float switches. The pump will turn on every couple minutes and stay on based on load/pressure/flow sensed. I believe I just paraphrased the Ryne pump website.

Either way I'd still consider it "auto" so maybe we can generalize to say that Auto and Standby have the same function in this discussion?

-Jason
1611 SC Honda BF90D

For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

Offline Hydroman

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 02:51:21 PM »
Rob,

Did a little research,  the auto start bilge pumps that I identified in previous post have three leads, 2 positive and 1 negative.  One of the positive leads is wired  to the MAN  and the other to the AUTO switch.

The module is internal in the pump and is not repairable or replaceable.

The pumps are manufactured by RULE, you can Google them and see the owners manual.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Offline Rjr812

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 07:22:20 PM »
Ok guys, I have to fess up and really feel stupid now.  I chased the wires for the pump and found out that they run up to.........wait for it............the timer for the live well.  Go figure.  So I have two pumps back there, both Rule, one for the bilge and the other for the live well.  I still need to figure out the standby function on the fwd pump but other than that, all is well.  Sorry about the confusion.
Herb,  I'd like to stop over sometime to see your boat.  Give me a call when it is convenient for you. (509)430-2367
🇺🇸 Dutch 142

(509) 430-2367  cell

Offline straiteagle

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 10:21:25 AM »
Have to correct my statement on the forward pump switch choices.  Was out fishing yesterday so rechecked, and the switch is a 3-way.  Center it is "off", right it is "standby", left it is "auto."  Never used the auto in 10 years owning the boat, have used only the standby which as stated cycles on and off with a preset time period.
Robert, went out of JWM yesterday, 1 nice hatchery and 1 larger unclipped...before we were chased off the water by wind.   Will give you a call. Herb.

Offline Hana Pa'a

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 08:06:30 AM »
Looks like you've received a lot of great advice and direction here, but, just my 2 cents.

My 2000 Sea Legend has 3 pumps, 2 are manual only activated and the other has the float.   
 My float activated bilge pump is connected directly to the battery, this allows the pump to activate when the boat is moored and I'm away without having to remember to place a switch in "auto" or "standby" etc.... in case of the bilge filling up.

This might be a little anal but I always leave my hull plug in when I clean my boat, I then raise the trailer front up as far as the jack allows, then I flush the deck with fresh water and flush until the auto bilge kicks in, this serves two purposes for me, first it confirms the pump activates automatically as it should, second this flushes out any saltwater that might be left in the plumbing. After that pump is done I do the same manually with the other two pumps for the same purpose. 
 Fyi, I run my wash-down pump with a freshwater hook-up also to clear the salt deposits, of course only when I get fish lolhttp://arimaboatownersgroup.com/Smileys/custom/fishing.gif