Author Topic: MMSI Number  (Read 845 times)

Offline Hunter

MMSI Number
« on: March 25, 2017, 02:14:24 PM »
So...... if want to haul to BC once or twice a year, do I really need to obtain an FCC ships license?     This is a cut and paste from the Boat US site.

Do NOT Register with BoatUS MMSI if:
Your vessel is required to carry a radio onboard (“Compulsory Equipped”)
You plan to visit or communicate in a foreign port including Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, and the British Virgin Islands

If either of the above conditions apply, you are legally required to obtain a Ship Station License from the FCC. They will issue an appropriate MMSI with the License.

NOTE: when traveling to foreign ports, you are required to have a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit holder aboard.

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Offline Croaker Stroker

Re: MMSI Number
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 02:26:09 PM »

A license used to be required to use a VHF radio in the US.  It was just a matter of filling out a one page form and mailing it in. Then they mailed you back a call sign.

Maybe it is just that easy ?
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 04:48:23 PM »
I suspect that is a border security deal.  There is a much higher degree of vetting to get a Ship Station License than a simple MMSI code.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Hunter

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 05:10:34 PM »
I'm gonna go ahead with my MMSI registration and not worry about using my radio in BC.. 
All Garmin Electronics

Offline Peddler

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 08:20:53 AM »
I'm gonna go ahead with my MMSI registration and not worry about using my radio in BC..

This is what I've done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline wedocq

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 08:45:46 AM »
Since I am already set up with a VHF radio and MMSI #, I am tending to think the same thing if I go into Canada. But what exactly should we not be worrying about?
A) Not using the radio period?
b) Not using the emergency function of the radio?

We all know there are laws that are enforced, and laws that are on the books but rarely enforced. I am curious what the practical application of the law is on this matter? If I were to fish Canadian waters, it would be from Neah Bay.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki DF175 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 09:19:40 AM »
I got my MMSI from Boat US, at the time did not plan to fish Canada.  Well, now this year I am going to be fishing Barkley Sound.  Now what?

I guess I am not suppose to use my radio.  If I bought a hand held without MMSI is it OK to use?   What about my PLB's, can I use them?   

Didn't know fishing Canada was going to be this complicated. 
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline Hydroman

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 09:44:50 AM »
Don't want to open another can of worms,  BC also requires that must be able to control your trailer brakes independently of your vehicle brakes.

Last summer was the first time that I saw a safety check just after I got off of the ferry at Duke Point.  I was wave thru because was no more room on the shoulder,  thy were just checking rigs towing boats. 

Guess it about time to covert to electric/hydraulic brakes.

Jim

17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 11:21:39 AM »
Not to hi-jack the thread but for towing in BC here is the information I have on it.   The document is dated from 2007 but on their web site it is still the referenced document for trailering information.  My 19SR is OK to tow with surge brakes.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle_inspections/PDF/MV3230.pdf

Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline blindmonkey

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 11:29:17 AM »
The above regs are correct.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Offline Hydroman

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 11:32:55 AM »
Bruce,

Looks like you are covered.  Are you going to boat camp or staying at a lodge?

We stayed at Haggers Cove,  it was mid July and we were a little too early, caught a lot of shakers.  Found fuel scares unless you or running all the way to Tofino or Banfield.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 11:41:36 AM »
This will be a new experience for me.  I will be going with couple of buddies of mine from church.   One of them has friends involved in a youth camp for first nation kids in BC on Tzartus island in the middle of Barkley sound.   We will be participating in a fund raiser for the camp and getting to bring our boats and have fun fishing and doing some ministry together.    We will be staying at the camp and they have moorage for us.   It sounds like a fun trip.  We are going late August.

Here is a some more information I found on from a government sight on visiting BC with boats.   I am going to make some calls tomorrow and see if I can better understand what I need to do to be ready and if I can use my existing VHF radios with my MMSI already in them form Boat US.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-quick-quick_visitor-1610.htm#7

Bruce
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline Peddler

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 01:34:34 PM »
I have a BoatUS MMSI. I use my VHF in Canada just as I do in the US. -  I figure if I'm forced to use the DSC in case of emergency, I'll suffer any consequences the officials deem applicable. I'm betting it'll be a non-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 03:46:13 PM »
Back in the 90's I used my VHF radio every year in Canada (I was ignorant to the requirements), it was never a problem.  First time back so I guess I will see as well.  I will call this week and ask some questions and let you guys know what information I get from the Canadian folks.

Peddler, thanks for your insights.

Bruce
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline Salmon Hobo

• Coho
  • “Genius: the ability to prolong one's childhood.”
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 06:44:55 PM »
Here is some helpful info for you:

http://boating.ncf.ca/canadaborder.html

Offline Hunter

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 06:37:18 PM »
Here is an unmolested cut and paste from the gov site that Salmon Hobo provided the link to.   Ok to listen but not transmit.   "I saw this other boat sinking and wanted to call it in.....but..... damn rules!" 

Also, I wonder if the fact that these officials don't spell the word "license" correctly..... means that we could get off on a technicality.   

Use a VHF Marine Radio for Emergencies on the Water:

The Coast Guard encourages boaters to invest in a VHF-FM radio as their primary means of distress calling. VHF is superior to cell phones for boating emergencies. When a Mayday is sent out via a VHF radio it is a broadcast to Coast Guard radio stations as well as any VHF-equipped boat within listening range. Nearby boaters can often offer immediate assistance long before a Coast Guard vessel or towing service can arrive.

VHF Operator's licence:

Any person who uses the radio to transmit must have a Restricted Radio Operator’s Certificate – Marine ROC(M). You don't need a Certificate just to listen
All Garmin Electronics

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 07:10:45 PM »

Canadiens spell things differently.  :shrug9:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 10:33:22 PM »
Here is an unmolested cut and paste from the gov site that Salmon Hobo provided the link to.   Ok to listen but not transmit.   "I saw this other boat sinking and wanted to call it in.....but..... damn rules!" 

Also, I wonder if the fact that these officials don't spell the word "license" correctly..... means that we could get off on a technicality.   

Use a VHF Marine Radio for Emergencies on the Water:

The Coast Guard encourages boaters to invest in a VHF-FM radio as their primary means of distress calling. VHF is superior to cell phones for boating emergencies. When a Mayday is sent out via a VHF radio it is a broadcast to Coast Guard radio stations as well as any VHF-equipped boat within listening range. Nearby boaters can often offer immediate assistance long before a Coast Guard vessel or towing service can arrive.

VHF Operator's licence:

Any person who uses the radio to transmit must have a Restricted Radio Operator’s Certificate – Marine ROC(M). You don't need a Certificate just to listen

Its not a Gov site (unlike gov sites it gets to the point in a quick and easy fashion ), and the words Licence,Licensing etc used on the site are correct.
I guess some still have trouble with it ?

Some good info Hobo posted for ya there...

"Ya'll take it easy now hear ?"..... :stirthepot:
Sea Chaser 17, Suzuki DF90A

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 09:25:19 AM »
So, I have gone through the process and now have a Ship Station License and a Restricted Operators License so I can use my Radio's in Canada to communicate with Canadian harbors and Coast Guard.   Really not a hard process but, it is not cheap.  the two licenses cost a total of $290.   $220 for the ship station that is good for 10 years, the restricted operator license is lifetime and cost $70.  Getting a license takes just a couple of days for the ship station and one day for restricted operator license.
the first step is to get a FRN number with the FCC and that number is used to request all the licenses you need.
I am now in the process for having my radios cleared of the MMSI I got from Boat US so I can load them with the MMSI on my ship station license.   
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline milos dad

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 01:57:12 PM »
Bruce - you are fortunate in how you got your Restricted Radio operaters license.  I got my license in the 70's in Victoria and had to take a verbal test with federal government officials (calling, mayday and phoenic alphabet etc.).  I was boatless for several decades and misplaced my license, and had to pay another fee for a replacement license for radio use in my Arima.

M D
Rick
87 Sea Hunter with 94 Honda 45
2009 6 hp Merc kicker

Offline fishing eagle

• Fisherman
  • We Fish, We Boat and so We Live!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 07:08:42 PM »
The MMSI is a special number that stays with your VHF radio if it has MMSI capabilities to identify your vessel to the authorities when youi issue a May Day alert. You can get your MMSI number through Boats US for free and you can transfer it to a new owner of your vessel if you sell your boat with the VHF radio. You no longer need a license in the USA to operate a VHF radio. Years ago you had to get a License from FCC to operate a marine VHFradio for recreational use. In order to operate the VHF radio in International waters or in Canada you must hold a marine Radio Operators license. I don't know the current requirements to have the Radio Operators license issued from the FCC as it is a lifetime license and I have had mine since the early 70s when it was issued to me along with my marine radio VHF license for my boat. Research the FCC for current regulations. It is my understanding that you must have a valid Radio Operators license that is issued to person and not the Radio or vessel to operate a VHF radio in Canada.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:15:54 AM by StreamFixer »
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)