Author Topic: Low Cost Garage Rod Holder  (Read 478 times)

Offline AJFishin

Low Cost Garage Rod Holder
« on: March 20, 2017, 12:45:54 PM »
I actually made this last year and this weekend I was cleaning my reels, and I figured I post this up if someone might be looking for some ideas on a rod holder.

We have a small garage and I didn't like having my rods stored on the wall as I might or something might bump into them. So I did some searching online for a solution and came across this little cheap PVC rack. I originally made 2 levels, but one level was enough for me.
I used 1, 3/4" PVC pipe, some elbows, Tee's, cross connectors, PVC cement, and some PVC conduit clamps.
Super easy to make and keeps everything off of the floors, the walls, and just out of the way. 

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:51:39 AM by AJFishin »
'96 Sea Chaser 16 - Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoke

! Go Kings Go !

Online Croaker Stroker

Re: Low Cost Garage Rod Holder
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:02:34 PM »

That's a brilliant idea !!  Looks like you could even add to it as your rod collection grows.  :clap:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 01:56:45 PM »
I did something similar with my high-tech garage rod holder.  I bought 2 12' 2x4's, and a lot (I want to say 36?) of the plastic-coated bicycle hooks from Home Depot, like this:

Drilled pilot holes and mounted the hooks to the 2x4's at 6" or so intervals, then used some long drywall screws I had laying around to mount the whole shebang to the ceiling so that the hooks hang down.  The rods sit in the hooks like a cradle, and they keep the rods separate and help minimize tangles.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:59:58 PM by Threeweight »
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 04:00:56 PM »
Being on your ceiling, the pvc should be ok.  However, in a couple of years, start checking the pipe.  UV causes PVC to become super brittle after a couple of years, even when not in direct sunlight...  I did the plumbing in my barn for stock watering and it began to shatter in about 3 years with no direct sunlight exposure.

Great idea.   :bowdown:   :clap:   :bowdown:

When, if, you find you need to replace it, I suggest you use the grey electrical conduit or black ABS pipe, neither of which have the UV exposure problems.

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 08:58:26 PM »
That's the nice thing about it, if I get more rods it's definitely easy to add to; like I had at first with 2 levels, I was a little overzealous  :jester:

I was originally going to use aluminum pipe but I didn't know if I would like it or if it would be out of the way.
But definitely when it starts showing it's age I might replace it with some different material, thank you for the heads up.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:12:31 PM by AJFishin »
'96 Sea Chaser 16 - Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoke

! Go Kings Go !

Offline Kahunanui

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 02:28:27 AM »
High-tech
Stay Pono,  Lawai'a        -        U.S.C.G. -  O.U.P.V.

2001 SC 15'11" 75 hp Honda re-carbed to 90 w/ 9.9 Honda boot. Hawaii is home, currently @ USMC Camp Lejeune NC

Offline Holoholo808

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 01:51:19 PM »
Being on your ceiling, the pvc should be ok.  However, in a couple of years, start checking the pipe.  UV causes PVC to become super brittle after a couple of years, even when not in direct sunlight...  I did the plumbing in my barn for stock watering and it began to shatter in about 3 years with no direct sunlight exposure.

Great idea.   :bowdown:   :clap:   :bowdown:

When, if, you find you need to replace it, I suggest you use the grey electrical conduit or black ABS pipe, neither of which have the UV exposure problems.

StreamFixer

Isn't that what spray paint is for? :stirthepot:

Come on, I know a few of us have prior experience with spray paint... :anyone:
1611 SC Honda BF90D

For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"