Author Topic: Sea Ranger 21 HT roof panel leaks  (Read 478 times)

Offline 4my3sons

Sea Ranger 21 HT roof panel leaks
« on: March 17, 2017, 06:51:31 PM »
 Has anyone added some sort of gasket in the roof panels? When hosing down the boat a fair amount of water gets in. Suggestions appreciated.
Ken

2005 21' Sea Ranger HT,  Yamaha F150

Offline La-Z-Buoy

Re: Sea Ranger 21 HT roof panel leaks
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 07:56:37 PM »
Quit hosing down the boat!!!  :doh:   :biggrin:  (Sorry, couldn't resist)
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Offline HemiGTX

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 08:00:26 PM »
Either replace the factory weatherstripping on the panels or lay another strip of wax strip directly over the factory pieces.  In order to prevent a substantially expensive accident, take a hard look at the bolts that hold the starboard 'toggles' to the panels.  The thin/frail factory bolts can be replaced with 1/4"x20 bolts.  Lastly, you may consider adding a couple stainless washers between the toggle and the panel.  The washers will prevent the toggle from deflecting.  Because I never remove the panels on my boat, I snugged the lock nuts down to ensure I don't lose a panel when trailering or running in heavy seas.  A few years back I had a panel fly off in rough seas at Sekiu.  I lucked out and the panel landed flat on the deck with no damage to boat, panel, or crew.  Hope this helps.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 09:01:37 AM »
Department of redundancy department comment: ---  ALWAYS use good quality stainless steel fasteners.  Well worth the extra pennies...

The cheap stuff will rust and non-stainless will corrode BIG TIME.  Ships often have brass decorations. There is a reason.  Sailors who have gone on report are often detailed to shine 'bright work' (that would be brass to you civilians).   :jester:

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Online GregE

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 09:21:49 AM »
Panels can fly off while towing also.  redrove the route several times with no luck

Pre-drive panel check on the list .......... :doh:
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline HemiGTX

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 11:08:50 AM »
To clarify my post above: the most likely reason for leaks is that the factory wx stripping is too thin to seal to the roof of the hardtop.  i recommend replacing with thicker wx stripping or laying another strip on top of the factory stuff.

Hope that makes more sense.

I'm certain that the brass always gleamed on any naval vessel upon which SF served..
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:13:01 AM by HemiGTX »
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Offline 4my3sons

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 01:14:59 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I think I my find a thicker strip.  I notice that the panel bows in the center. Those latches should have been placed not so far in the corners. Considering adding a set of latches in the center.
Ken

Online rasslingref

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 06:40:26 PM »
Panels can fly off while towing also.  redrove the route several times with no luck

Pre-drive panel check on the list .......... :doh:

Last spring I forgot to check the latches on my hatches. Delivered boat to have some motor work done and noticed inside the cabin was pretty bright.  Drove all the way back from Puyalluo to Issaquah and didn't find it. Turned around and headed back along Highway 18 and there it was. Broke latches and needed some Fiberglas work. My son did the work and this is what the end result looked like. I also need to replace the weather strip on mine as it is leaking as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 1999 Honda 90 Yamaha 9.9

Offline 4my3sons

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 07:32:34 PM »
So I ordered roof panel latch(es) from Arima website. Is says a set of 4 for $20, yet the product name says latch, singular.  $20 seems kind of cheap. Perhaps they mean it calls for four. I'll find out. My plan is to add a set in the center of each panel. It will (or should) squeeze the bow center up that will result in a better seal. It means drilling a couple holes in each panel for the additional latches, but I'll have them secured a lot better and it will be water tight....hopefully. 
Ken

Offline daily double

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 05:56:04 AM »
I also have some minor leaks. Looking for suggestions on a source for thicker weatherstripping. Probably going to also try tightening the nuts on the hold downs with the panels in place and not remove them in the future.

Online GregE

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 12:08:41 PM »
OUr SL 22 came down from Alaska and the PO put silicone sealant around the top edge of the panels.  I've never operated the boat with them off and only use them for ventilation on hot cabin work days.
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait