News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Boat INTERMITTENT Windshield Wiper Switch

Started by FishAddict, March 16, 2017, 06:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishAddict

I'm adding a port wiper and I think I'm going with a separate switch.  Has anyone tried one of these intermittent switches on the AFI motors?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281298674172

or

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/cole-hersee-5-function-electronic-windshield-wiper-switch-12v-and-24v
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

Markshoreline

Haven't tried that switch but have thought about mounting the passenger switch where the passenger can reach it...
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

FWilliams

I used the one in the ebay link on my trophy. It worked fine had no issues .

I am also interested in installing a port wiper in my 21SR.  did you get the wiper motor from Defiance?
2007 21 ft. Sea Ranger HT 115 Yamaha 4 stroke  9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke. sold

FishAddict

No I didn't get the wiper parts from Defiance.  I called Belinda and was told the new style they are selling doesn't have the pantographic wiper arm.  She gave me the part numbers for my 21 ranger skip 2004.

Motor AFI MRV 34001 is a 80 degree sweep 1.5 inch shaft.  After measuring my existing wiper shaft I determined that I needed the 2.5 inch shaft model which is part number 34000. (Currently on sale at WM for $159).

The pantographic wiper arm is AFI/Marinco part number 33032a.

The wiper is Curved blade 11.5" AFI/Marinco 33004.

I was able to get all these parts from West Marine.  I'm sure you can find many online retailers too.

FWilliams

FishAddict, thank you so much , that should work on my 2007 SR as well. I really appreciate the model numbers . I have a west marine  right next to where I moor the boat

Fred

Threeweight

Re: the intermittent switch, there has been a similar discussion on the Hewescraft owners site.  One guy purchased the switch linked in the original post, but I have not year heard a report back from him on how it works.

I also came across this "smart" switch, which would appear to be ideal for a 2 wiper set up.  The downside is the price.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|7504|2290232|2290236&id=776951
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

GregE

Since the SR 19 and 21 cabs/ windshields are the same-  these should work for me
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Markshoreline

Quote from: GregE on March 17, 2017, 04:39:31 PM
Since the SR 19 and 21 cabs/ windshields are the same-  these should work for me

The 21 cabin is taller than the 19's-probably should check to make sure...
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

FishAddict

I purchased the Cole Hersee switch since it was available at the local parts stores.  It does work for on the intermittent switch setting and can be set about 1 to 14 second delay (The 14 second delay would be really nice on misty mornings).  However, the self park feature doesn't seem to work properly as during the intermittent setting it sweeps one time across and stops then goes back on the next cycle.  This isn't terrible, but if you shut the switch off on the wrong sweep it will remain on the non park side.  On the slow and fast setting it works as expected minus the random side in which it stops when the switch is turned off.  One nice feature is the wash push button as it turns on the wiper for three passes by simply pushing it once.

FWilliams - did the Ebay switch self park work properly or did it stop the wiper on the wrong side randomly?  The down side to the ebay switch is a max of 6 seconds delay and no push button for a few passes, but it may be worth it if the self park works properly for my OCD needs.

FWilliams

Quote from: FishAddict on March 21, 2017, 09:26:17 PM
I purchased the Cole Hersee switch since it was available at the local parts stores.  It does work for on the intermittent switch setting and can be set about 1 to 14 second delay (The 14 second delay would be really nice on misty mornings).  However, the self park feature doesn't seem to work properly as during the intermittent setting it sweeps one time across and stops then goes back on the next cycle.  This isn't terrible, but if you shut the switch off on the wrong sweep it will remain on the non park side.  On the slow and fast setting it works as expected minus the random side in which it stops when the switch is turned off.  One nice feature is the wash push button as it turns on the wiper for three passes by simply pushing it once.

FWilliams - did the Ebay switch self park work properly or did it stop the wiper on the wrong side randomly?  The down side to the ebay switch is a max of 6 seconds delay and no push button for a few passes, but it may be worth it if the self park works properly for my OCD needs.

I don't remember any problems with the park function . seems to me I had different ways to wire the motor for a right park or left park.

FishAddict

I installed the ebay switch today on my new port wiper install and it works perfectly.  Now I need to replace the drivers switch so I can enjoy the delay settings.

OnA

I also installed the Leisure Lectronics switch for the port AFI motor.  http://www.leisurelectronics.biz/intermittent-wiper-switch.html 
It has 4 settings: off, 3 second delay, 6 second delay, and continuous.  Love, love, love this change.  Works perfectly.  Now I need to get a placard made for the knob, which I installed by the port seat.

GregE

Quote from: markshoreline on March 16, 2017, 08:04:20 PM
Haven't tried that switch but have thought about mounting the passenger switch where the passenger can reach it...

Me too,  so many things going on trying to dodge crab pot floats etc
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

OnA

Had a placard made for the switch.  Now the passenger has full control of wiper action.

FishAddict

Looks good.  Where did you get the label made?  Trophy store?  Mine is a two speed wiper so I have 5 settings.  Off, delay 6, delay 3, low, high

OnA

Thanks.  The guys at work made it for me.  My wiper motor only had one speed, so I had to cross-connect the high and low speed.  So yes, the knob will click over to the right one more time, but there's no change in speed.  They made me another one slightly bigger (on a 2"x3" plate).  Probably wouldn't fit you quite right since you have 5 settings, but it's yours if you want.

FishAddict

I'd definitely like to try it.  I can PM you my address and arrange to pay the shipping.

Ssericz

The second one you listed is what we have in the safe-boat and after playing with it I'm going to put it in the arima they are really nice and speeds are perfect for almost every condition I've been in

FishAddict

Just a side note on good customer service.  The Ebay guy that sells the switches name is Bruce.  I thought I had a malfunctioning switch as the park stopped working.  He sent me another switch on his dime immediately.  It turns out his switches were good and the brand new AFI/Marinco motor malfunctioned after only a day and a half of mild use.  West Marine swapped out the motor so all is good.