News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

New Digital antenna damaged!

Started by wedocq, February 26, 2017, 10:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedocq

A few weeks ago we had a freak snow storm that dumped 14" of snow. Very unusual for around here in the PNW. Anyway, the heavy snow collapsed my canopy onto my boat, damaging my nearly brand new Digital antenna. It broke the fiberglass exterior. I plan on buying a new replacement. My question is, do you think it's possible to repair that antenna to use on a second radio? I was thinking about wrapping it up with some fiberglass mat. Kind of hard to test if the radio still transmits thru the antenna while still on land though. (Especially since it ain't legal...haha) Hey Bruce, turn on your VHF, can you here me now?  :biggrin: :whistle:
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

croaker stroker

It should absolutely work fine. Ugly, but functional.   :arms:

....on second thought those black Digital antennas have a really shiny finish, like a fishing rod....maybe they coat them with Epoxy, like a fishing rod. If so, you would have to scrape or sand that off down to the fiberglass so your resin will stick.

Back in the day, before cell phones, I mounted a motorized beam antenna on a 20' fiberglass pole with guide wires and all.  It was against the law, but I never had anyone complain. (I would have begged forgiveness)  :shrug9: I just pointed it toward the area I would be fishing.

My wife could talk to me 30 miles away at Catalina Island.

I got the idea from looking at the antenna on a local Coast Guard station.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

jamaica

That was thinking outside the box. Why am I not surprised?
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

ak-angler

The antenna is inside the Fiberglas housing. I repaired one (not a Digital) several years ago without any ill effects, besides it being ugly. As long as it's only the housing that got damaged, I think it would be fine.
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's