News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Radar size difference

Started by Mile2885, February 03, 2017, 07:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mile2885

Wow!  My 4G unit arrived in the mail today and I'm amazed at the size difference compared to the old Furuno I pulled off. It's almost making me wonder if I need a backing plate on the under side of my hard top.  The weight difference is very noticable when picking the 4G unit up.

Salmon King

Are you talking about the dome or the display?
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Mile2885

The 4G dome. I'm guessing it's at least double the weight. Looks like a  bucket vs a dog bowl. I had the Furuno mounted on a power tower but it never felt 100% solid. I'm going to fab up a starboard backing plate and see if that helps

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Mile2885

Yes about 16 lbs.  The previous owner mounted it with no backing plate under the HT and just small washers on the underside. I'm thinking that the foam/carpet n the inside are playing a role as well.

Salmon King

Don't know about anybody else on here but NOTHING gets mounted to the glass on my boat without some sort of stiff backing. 
Even then I tend to use a extraordinary amount of overkill.  Adds a lot of weight if you add it all up but I know nothing is going to flex, crack the glass, and fall off.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Mile2885

Agreed. This is an old pict but you can see the 4 bolts and old radar cable. I'll back it. 

Mile2885

Okay, I pulled the 10" scanstrut off the roof today. I found out this doesn't fit the 4G base. Question is do I stick with the 10" base or go 6" to accommodate larger dome?  This is mounted far back on hardtop.

Markshoreline

I used backing plates for my 18" Garmin.  They compressed the fuzzy trim but so what? At least the top was supported.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Mile2885

I cut a starboard backing plate however, the 10" Scanstrut I had for the Furuno won't line up with 4G dome.  Had to oder a new one, went 10" again.  Guess my old one will be on the classifieds. 

BestBoats

You know there's plywood sandwiched between the glass right? Slice through the carpet headliner a bolt with washer or a carriage bolt is a great plenty... the bolts are not going to pull through the top.
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Mile2885

Finally got it on the boat today. I did ended up using a backing plate just to make sure I wouldn't have problems.  Feels solid. I can't believe the radar. It's pretty amazing with the chart overlay on the HDS9.  Very user friendly. I think I'll be very happy with the new setup!  It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.     I'll definitely be using the radar more vs the old setup that I didn't know how to use.  

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BestBoats

Nice looking setup...I would put something over those exposed nuts and bolts though otherwise someone will end up needing stitches on their head eventually. Overlay is really nice!
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Mile2885

I thought of that too!  I may reconfigure to tee nuts with thread lock into the starboard so nothing is protruding.  I'm just happy that the units are so user friendly. 

croaker stroker

Good idea. Tee nut or insert nut into the Starboard.

Tee nuts come in stainless too.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Mile2885

Okay! The WA deluge finally subsided and we got a chance to get out and tinker with the new electrics. I like the setup! Nice having  everything networked.  I found barrel nuts for a new tear-free radar pedistal backing plate. Here's the final layout. Glad I went with a 9" screen for radar. I can flop the radar to the 7 as well but I'm pleased with the final product.

Threeweight

I would just swap them out for acorn nuts.  Much prettier, and you can use some stacked washers on the bracket side up top if your bolts are too long.

Other option (assuming those are 1/4" or 5/16" bolts), switch them to big machine screws and put the screw side down, with a finish washer to dress it up, then the nut up top on the bracket.  These are anodized aluminum, but you get the idea.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Mile2885

Here is the new tear free version.  I'm happy with how sturdy the unit is now. These are the 5/16 -18 barrel nuts.

Mile2885