News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Information for Newbies looking to fish Neah Bay 2017 }>>>>*<

Started by wedocq, January 03, 2017, 10:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedocq

I have seen several new people express interest in the Neah Bay halibut fishery/Arima board get together. First off I want to say, there is nothing exclusive here. We have included everyone who has shown interest. As far as our group goes, we are not the brash, huge ego, in your face, my boat is better than your type of crowd. For that matter, we are not the ultra polite, politically correct, keep Portland weird Ifish crowd either. We are a group somewhere in between that loves to fish, has lots of knowledge, with one lughead (Russ), and all own Arimas. Well most of us... :biggrin: Our "get together" has been informal every year. We usually find each other in camp and start talking, and the group grows as others join in. Sometimes we BBQ. Sometimes we just  drink beer and BS. Every time Russ scowls at someone (usually me because he doesn't like PBR :whistle:) So here's the deal, most people would rather give up their first born before giving out any halibut information. Not this crowd. We don't necessarily open up our vault of secret halibut numbers, but we can get you on the fish and let you mark your own! With that, lets get some information started here for some of the rookies and less experienced. I am going to put down everything I know about Neah Bay. Obviously, I don't know everything about accommodations, ect, so if you have more info about cabins, camping, lodging, or fishing, post it here!

Accomodations:
There are several places to stay. The place where the majority of us stay is The Cape. It's the main campground and is within walking distance of the marina. It has spots for RVs with hookups, small cabins and bunkhouses. Everything fills up quick! Book ASAP!
360-645-2250

http://cape-resort.com/reservations/

Moorage:
There's only one place in town to moor your boat, and it's the Big Salmon. Moorage reservations fill up quick. Call now! It's $2/ a foot.
Toll free: (866) 787-1900
Phone: (360) 645-2374
Fax: (360) 645-0772

http://www.bigsalmonresort.net/

Where to fish:
Neah Bay is very unique in that you can literally be fishing 10 mins from the dock in the Straits. If the weather permits, there is some great fishing offshore. The last several years, we have got ALL our halibut in the Straits. If you buy the "fish N Map", we can point you in the right direction.

Gear:
So here's the deal. There is an old Neah saying, "When fishing in the Straits, use bait". I have seen way too many newbies ignore that rule and try and use pipe jigs, lures, etc. USE BAIT! I like to use a spreader bad with 2lbs and a whole horse herring. Outside in the ocean, I still like to use bait if I am fishing near-shore. If I go offshore to Swiftsure, the SW corner of the closed C, 72 Square, etc, pipe jigs will work as well.

Bottom fishing:
Most of the bottom fishing I like to do is outside. I will got thru the "slot" between Cape Flattery and Tatoosh Island and start working my way down the coast looking for bottom structure. The Fish N Map helps point these spots out. Here's the key: When you find some fish, mark the spot immediately! Drift over the spot, and when you get out of the fish, go back to the top of the drift and start over. We like to use small 2-5 oz flutter jigs, 3-5 oz bullet nose jigs with a Berkley swimbait, and shrimp flies. I usually put the shrimp fly about 18 inches about the lure, this way you will have the opportunity to catch 2 fish at once! (Totally legal in WA) You want enough weight to get you to the bottom and remain fairly vertical while you jig. 

While I like going outside into the ocean, there is still some real good bottom fishing inside. A lot of people like to fish right around Tatoosh island. PLEASE BEWARE! Duncan Rock is not in a legal area to fish! Also, please see the regs as Tatoosh Island is right on the legal border to fish for bottom fish, so don't get caught in the wrong spot! Other spots inside include around Waadah Island, and along the kelp line up the shoreline. SEE THE REGS! Every year they seems to ratchet down more and more. Last year we could only keep Blacks and Blues (rockcod) inside the Straits. Outside was a lot less restrictive. ALSO KEEP IN MIND! If you choose to fish outside in the ocean, and put anything in the box that is not legal to keep on the inside the Straits, you CAN NOT stop and fish the Straits on your way in.

Bruce and I will be staying at the Cape arriving May 3, and staying in spots 402 and 403 I believe. Come by and say hi! PLEASE add any knowledge you might want to share on this thread. Got questions? ask away!
-Shawn

2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

GregE

Quick response from our repository of NB knowledge    :biggrin:

Bring your Fish n Map to the Cape get together and a pen to make note on the Secret Squirrel info.

copied from another thread:
I bought 4 extra Fish n Maps for Neah Bay and just recently found them still in the shipping envelope.  These are the waterproof charts with GPS plots for most key points listed.  I'll bring them to the Boat Show get together on Jan 28 and the lead pour DTBD.  I can mail them also.
Secret Squirrel info available
I think they are selling for $11 + now-  I'll double check that and post in the for sale section.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Diablo

Thanks for the post Shawn. I hope to be there.
I do have a question about ice and or cold storage. What's available?
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

StreamFixer

Big Salmon has locker space available to freeze your fish.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Threeweight

It is a pain, but it is a good idea to bring a vacuum sealer and plenty of pre-made bags if you want to freeze your fish.  Have your crew process while you drink a beer back at camp. 

Thawing, then processing, then re-freezing hurts the quality of the meat, IMO.

Shawn's advice on herring is good, but don't overlook other baits if you have access to them.  The biggest fish I have caught up there have all come on either shad, or as "accidental" hook ups on rockfish jigs tipped with octopus.  You can get octopus at your local asian grocery pretty cheap, and the stuff is like ice cream to halibut.  It is also very tough, and makes a great add-on to any bait or jig.

One thing Shawn left out is TIDES.  75% of halibut are caught in the hour before and hour after slack tide.  Be on the spot you want to fish when the tide starts to slow, not out running around from point A to point B.  Some spots up there can get downright nasty on an ebb tide (Garbage Hole), so be careful. 

And please be safety conscious... the slot between Tatoosh and the mainland can kick up like a bar crossing, and there are lots of wash rocks that can get you in trouble in a hurry if you get caught by surprise by a breaking wave.  Make sure you and your crew all wear your pfd's and your safety gear is up to date and functional.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

HemiGTX

Some random thoughts:

-Neah Bay is a 'dry' reservation.  Public displays of inebriation are dealt with in a firm and professional manner.  Fortunately, 99% of the fisherman (100% of Arima owners)  are respectful of the of the rules (or at least the spirit/intent of them) and act in an appropriate manner.  Discretion is the name of the game.....

-Preparation.  Neah Bay is a good test of your boat, fishing gear, and seamanship.  The weather can be (usually is) cold, wet, and raw.  The water is usually pretty sporty to downright unfishable.  But with only three days of fishing, sitting on the beach is not really an option.  Nor is venturing out in heavy seas with an intermittent bilge pump, cranky engines, bad batteries, erratic running lights, etc.  I strongly recommend op-checking everything beforehand. 

-Spares.  The long days of fishing will take a toll on your gear and yourself.  Having spare rods/reels/spools of line will save the day.  Last year the gimble on my wife's rod exploded while fighting a fish.  The year before we broke one rod and damaged a second one.  Big water, big weights, and big fish!  Also, bring lots of jigs, hooks, spreader bars, weights, etc.  Throw some tools in the truck, as well as a set of plugs for both engines.

-Clothing.  Warm clothes and real foul weather gear.  Bring waterproof footwear that will provide the support and traction to negotiate a severely pitching deck that is soaking wet and covered in blood.  Ideally, most of the blood is from fish.  There are showers in the marina if you feel the need to freshen up.  My wife tells me that they require quarters.  Lots of them.

-Terminal gear.  Like WEDOCQ said, bait is pretty effective.  Halibut aren't leader shy so very short, heavy leaders with stout hooks are the key.  Barbless hooks aren't (weren't?) required.  As 3WT mentioned, the tide/fishing window is short.  i have a bunch of rigs all tied up and ready to go so if I get a nick in my 150 lb test leader I just snap a new one on.  I experimented with lashing my herring on with stretchy thread last year and I think I will continue using it.  It reduced the rate at which we burned through bait.  Zip ties or coat hanger wire would probably work just as well.

-Electronics.  A good chart plotter and depth sounder are the keys to success.  Especially for lings and rockfish. 

-Conditioning.  Everything about halibut fishing is hard work.  I'm always beat down pretty hard by the end of the season.  Fishing heavy gear with 2-3 lb weights is tough.  I find that push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, and bicep curls are helpful for working the muscles that you'll be using.  I also bring a bottle of 800 mg Motrin tablets.  Which brings me to....

-Seasickness.  If you tend to get sea sick, Neah Bay will not disappoint!  I don't have any recommendations with regard to elixirs/pills/patches/potions, but bring plenty of what works best for you.

AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

wedocq

Let me take a stab at each of Hemi's very valid points.  :biggrin:

Dry Res YES. I have seen them law enforcement take full coolers of beer. What they miss, the kids steal if left out at night. (I mean come on, wouldn't you if you were a kid? :biggrin:)

Preparation: Rain gear a must!!! SUPER GLUE in your first aid kit can be a real help if you cut yourself badly while on the water.

Spares: Bring lots and lots and lots of bottom fishing gear. And just when you think you have brought too much, bring more!

Terminal Gear: Bring more than what you think you will need!

Conditioning: Instead of all those push ups, sit ups, etc, just do what we do. Keep the first halibut you catch.  :facepalm: I have fished along side Hemi and he throws more fish back than the by-catch from a purse-seiner.  :biggrin: :whistle:

Seasickness: The Patch, which is an Rx, has been very effective for many in my crew over the years. For me, PBR works great. :biggrin:

Ok its only Jan 3 and I am getting excited!  :cha:

-Shawn

2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

StreamFixer

Since Beer has been basically removed from my diet, the curl-ups -- not so much.  Having to do more lift and tilt exercises...  I am trying to do enough of those to compensate   :bigshock:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Threeweight

Re: terminal gear...

Pre-rig your hooks and leaders.  Tie up a dozen, and have them ready to go.  I like J hooks because when I feel a fish tugging I have the patience of a 6 year old.  I use Gamakatsu "Big River" syckle hooks, 12/0 size, tied on 150# or 200# mono leader.  Keep the leader VERY short.  No more than 8".  If you use a metal spreader bar, you want the leader so short it can't flip up and reach the mainline on the way down.  Otherwise you have tangle-city and you spend 15 minutes during slack tide trying to fix that mess rather than fishing.

Speaking of spreader bars... they work fine, but you need to do a couple of things.  First, ALWAYS USE A TOP SHOT.  From the braid on your reel, add a top shot of 10-20' of 50# mono, then a heavy-duty swivel of some kind (I like the stainless and brass corkscrew swivels commercial fishers use).  You also ALWAYS want to use a dropper of 20-30# mono from the bottom of the spreader bar to your lead weight. 

The reason for this is when you snag bottom with your lead(which you will, many times), you want to be able to break that 30# lead dropper line off rather than lose your whole rig.  You can reel up, tie on a new dropper, add lead, and be fishing again in less than 2 minutes, vs. wasting precious time re-rigging.  The reason for the top shot is when you have a catastrophic snag with the hook or whole spreader bar stuck to the bottom, you can break 50# mono.  If you have the spreader bar connected directly to 65# or 80# braid, you have essentially anchored the boat to the bottom and you will be forced to cut-off a giant chunk of very expensive braid, and leave out there to foul someone's prop at low tide.

Check Craigslist for guys selling halibut lead cheap.  I get the most use out of 32 oz balls, and try to bring 8 or 10 with me when I go to Neah, along with 4-6 24 oz and a couple of big 48 oz.  Don't be "that guy" on the radio who has lost all your lead from snagging up and is trying to borrow some from buddies.

I like to bring 2 halibut rods on the boat, one rigged and ready to fish, one with a descender for big rockfish on it.  You will catch giant 40+ year old yelloweye at Neah that you can't keep.  Be ready to send them back down happy and healthy vs. leaving them dying on the surface for the seals and eagles.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Wrinagade

How far offshore are the Hali grounds? Is there OK salmon fishing? I'm definitely interested!

rasslingref

Quote from: Wrinagade on March 28, 2017, 06:19:15 PM
How far offshore are the Hali grounds? Is there OK salmon fishing? I'm definitely interested!

20 minutes or 2 hours....depends on how far you want to go.
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

HemiGTX

Come on out!

The halibut can be found very close to shore.  A few years ago a friend of mine watched a guy catch one off the beach just East of NB. They can also be found far offshore.

With regard to salmon, the bigger question is whether we will be allowed to fish for them. 
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Wrinagade

Copy, My wife and I need to get out and do something. We're avid rock fisherman, but haven't sport Hali fished in years.