News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Bait Tank Too Short

Started by Paxford, December 23, 2016, 12:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paxford

Guys I am looking for ideas to solve this problem ... the outflow on my bait tank is about 2 inches short of clearing the splashwell. I want the bait tank to sit as close to the fuel tank area as possible. So I think I need to raise it up.

I can build it up, but Starboard prices are ridiculous and I would have to stack three 3/4 inch sheets to get the height I need. I may be able to keep the costs to 1 sheet by building about a 2.5 inch tall platform.

I haven't been able to find marine ply in my area. Anyone had success with PT plywood or plywood painted with marine paint? I can't think of any other material 2.5 inches thick that can hold up in the saltwater.

As an alternative to raising the bait tank there is a second outflow drain midway down the tank. I could connect there and run the outflow pipe uphill first as high as it can go but just under the splashwell. The water level in the tank should rise to the highest level of the outflow pipe, right? This would put the highest point of the outflow pipe a few inches lower than had I used the tallest outflow drain. I would lose a few gallons capacity, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
1983 Sea Hunter
2022 Mercury ELPT CT 60 HP

Paxford

1983 Sea Hunter

Paxford

almost tall enough ...
1983 Sea Hunter

croaker stroker

You have probably already thought of this, but you could turn it around and replace the straight 1-1/4" barb fitting with a 90 degree and run around the tank and over the transom.

Swimming pool vacuum hose works pretty good and seems to last a long time.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Marine plywood and good paint are not all that expensive, nor is just plain old 2x4.  Make what you need, when it's rotten (3 or 4 years or so) make a new one.

There is a thread asking what you do during the off season to keep busy, there could be your answer.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

Agree with SF. Simple is sometimes better.

This is a pic of my previous boat. I used the plywood to elevate the tank so I could remove the fish box lid. The Interlux painted plywood disintegrated after a couple of years. After that, i discovered it wasn't even necessary.

Still using the same tank on my Pacer. Same method of attachments except I am using the swimming pool flexable hose, and I replaced the ratchet strap with one made with stainless steel.

This year, I decided to buy a new "Pacific Edge" $700 fiberglass tank. But I have decided against that. I am keeping my old tank. It is much lighter, and although the bait survives better in the fiberglass tanks, my tank is really good enough for me.  And it is Easy / lightweight / removable. I'll spend the $700 someplace else.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Salmon King

I see another option for you...besides the easy one that SF suggested.

Have a metal shop bend you a platform...or find you a metal box.
It would be a more permanent solution for you.

PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

StreamFixer

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on December 23, 2016, 02:28:09 PM
I'll spend the $700 someplace else.

Let me know when you are ready, I have some great ideas and Lavonna really likes them too   :whistle:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Wiley

How about a piece of rigid foam insulation, it comes in various thickness and density, cuts easily to shape and or size won't scratch your deck, and softens the ride for the little guys before they are sent out as a last meal ? Oh yea and available at most hardware store, cheap
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

croaker stroker

Quote from: StreamFixer on December 23, 2016, 03:15:31 PM
Quote from: Croaker Stroker on December 23, 2016, 02:28:09 PM
I'll spend the $700 someplace else.

Let me know when you are ready, I have some great ideas and Lavonna really likes them too   :whistle:

StreamFixer

Gimme a break!  I already bought her a new Penn two speed reel, a New Calstar rod, a 12 pack of Sam Adams Winter brew, and a fishing license in my name. What more could she want ?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Bait tank too short???  Get shorter bait!!!   :doh:

StreamFixer

Sorry, I just could not resist,  shame on me...   :nono:
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Markshoreline

CS you have a fortunate wife!  I just hope she knows it.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Ssericz

Mark I can get u a fiberglass tank for about half of what that crook wants... Just saying

croaker stroker

Thanks Eric.

I had $1200 from selling a bunch of old Newell reels and Truline and Sila-Flex rods, but I spent it all on my lovely wife for Christmas.  :stooges:

I will keep that in mind though for this summer.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Paxford

CS I like your idea of turning the tank 180 degrees. You mentioned not needing the plywood for fishbox access? Are you able to slide the rear fish box lid out from under your tank while it's full of water? I thought I would be limited to the front fishbox lid for access to the fish hold once my tank is installed.
1983 Sea Hunter

croaker stroker

Quote from: Paxford on December 26, 2016, 07:38:08 AM
CS I like your idea of turning the tank 180 degrees. You mentioned not needing the plywood for fishbox access? Are you able to slide the rear fish box lid out from under your tank while it's full of water? I thought I would be limited to the front fishbox lid for access to the fish hold once my tank is installed.

Yes, we can slide mine out. The deck on the edge of the fish box turns out to be slightly higher than the lid. (Could be due to the lid wearing into the fiberglass??)  We can also move the full tank to one side if we need to access the gas tank compartment and the bilge pump just by undoing the strap.

I have modified my fishbox lids by removing the hinge and adding 1-1/4" aluminum angle reinforcement to strengthen the span and support large frame fishermen. I now have two individual lids.

Please excuse the dirt. It's a fishing boat ??   :shrug9: :beerchug:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Paxford

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on December 26, 2016, 11:50:49 AM

Yes, we can slide mine out. The deck on the edge of the fish box turns out to be slightly higher than the lid. (Could be due to the lid wearing into the fiberglass??)  We can also move the full tank to one side if we need to access the gas tank compartment and the bilge pump just by undoing the strap.

I have modified my fishbox lids by removing the hinge and adding 1-1/4" aluminum angle reinforcement to strengthen the span and support large frame fishermen. I now have two individual lids.

CS, is your tank not also held to the deck by the 4 L-brackets? Or does just the strap hold it? Does the strap go around the two legs supporting the splash well? I would love to not have to drill in to the deck.
1983 Sea Hunter

Threeweight

I would buy a piece of untreated 2x6" (really 2x5 1/2") at Home Despot, build a box of the appropriate size using stainless screws and waterproof exterior glue, and paint it whatever exterior paint you have on hand in the garage.  It will outlast you.  Treated has copper and other stuff in it that will leach out over time, and is no bueno for anything metal it comes in contact with in the presence of saltwater.

The problem with the 90 degree fitting and hose idea is the water inside the bait tank will not drain until it reaches the same level as the highest point in your hose/angle set up.  By the looks of things, that means you'd have water sloshing all over the deck before it would start spilling from the hose (assuming you are routing over the transom).
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

Quote from: Paxford on December 27, 2016, 03:04:23 PM

CS, is your tank not also held to the deck by the 4 L-brackets? Or does just the strap hold it? Does the strap go around the two legs supporting the splash well? I would love to not have to drill in to the deck.

No. I did not want holes in the floor. The strap holds the tank....I'll go out and get a pic.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Paxford

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on December 27, 2016, 04:30:26 PM
Quote from: Paxford on December 27, 2016, 03:04:23 PM

No. I did not want holes in the floor. The strap holds the tank....I'll go out and get a pic.
Best news I've heard all day, thanks CS.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

1983 Sea Hunter

croaker stroker

I throw a 2x2 behind the tank on the bottom to make up for the flange on the top.

The stainless steel ratchet strap (transom strap I think ??) is hooked to double nutted u-bolts. (Doesn't need to be real tight, just snug)

Makes for easy removal of the tank for harbor cruises .  :biggrin:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Zarn

I apologize for the partial thread Hi-jack, in advance. And I don't have a good solution for the situation presented.

But... C.S..... I just have to say your idea to modify the in floor fish box in that manner is positively Brilliant...! I went another route when I rebuilt my fish box hing by re-purposing the S/S edge trim from land yacht bug shield. If that ever fails that will be my next move.

Partial Hi-jack concluded.... Carry-on...!
SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Paxford

Yeah his bait tank setup ain't too shabby either. Strapping the tank in looks like the best choice for my use. I want to be able to easily remove the tank, and not put holes in the deck.
1983 Sea Hunter

Tj805

I'm designing a bait tank stand for my 13 gallon aqua world tank right now
Should work well.
Trying to make it removable but we will see what happens
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8