News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Downrigger cable Braid VS Cable ????

Started by Rangerman, December 08, 2016, 05:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seachaser9

Cannon uses the SS wire for the auto-stop.   When it rises above the water line it breaks the circuit to allow auto stop.  I personally like the feature, and as others have said I like the hum of wire.  The debate over Cannon vs Scotty don't want to go there, I think both are exceptional products. 

Kimbrey

I put too much braid on my Scotty's mainly because I wanted to work the deeper water for Kings off the coast.  Broke the spools on my two downriggers.  I forget what they say is the maximum amount but it could be worth checking out if you switch braid..  I was using a 15 lb ball though. 

I think we've talked about it on a different thread but I use tuna cord for the last little bit which makes it easier to lift the ball aboard and the knot to braid trips the stop.  Scotty I think now has a swivel kit where the swivel trips the stop.  No need for beads anymore.

Isn't Nelly sponsored by Cannon?  Just saying........
I do like the features of the Cannon's but man they want an arm and a leg for them.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

pescadore

I put 400 ft of braid on last time for those rare occasions when we fish over 200. This also allows me to trim off the last few feet every year or so, as recommended by the service guy at Scotty. I lose just as many fish as I did with ss so I'm happy with that, but I haven't lost any balls with braid. If I do have 'reef grief' I put a glove on and grab the line, wrap it around my hand, and jerk a few times till it comes off, something I couldn't do with steel. I haven't gone over 15lbs mind you.   

T-Rex

Quote from: First Cabin on December 09, 2016, 05:11:48 PM
Let me say this softly. :jester: :jester: :jester:

Scotty wire is inconsistent and sometimes crap.  The entire switch to braid is because Scotty wire is made in China crap.  If you run Cannon wire you won't have a problem.

Wierd....the packages here say made in Canada....sounds like the Cannon wire is good stuff though... but i dont know anyone here with cannons...
My buddies who look after thier gear dont seem to have problems with wire, those who dont loose alot of gear due to impropper crimping.
I don't like made in China either but i gotta say this knock off power pro is dam tuff, been using it for years and lost one 15lber, but that was because of  a bad knot that cut through my gangon.

Sea Chaser 17, Suzuki DF90A

First Cabin

Quote from: T-Rex on December 15, 2016, 03:15:25 PM
Quote from: First Cabin on December 09, 2016, 05:11:48 PM
Let me say this softly. :jester: :jester: :jester:

Scotty wire is inconsistent and sometimes crap.  The entire switch to braid is because Scotty wire is made in China crap.  If you run Cannon wire you won't have a problem.

Wierd....the packages here say made in Canada....sounds like the Cannon wire is good stuff though... but i dont know anyone here with cannons...
My buddies who look after thier gear dont seem to have problems with wire, those who dont loose alot of gear due to impropper crimping.
I don't like made in China either but i gotta say this knock off power pro is dam tuff, been using it for years and lost one 15lber, but that was because of  a bad knot that cut through my gangon.

How embarrassing.  :biggrin:   For me or Canada?   :shrug9:  It is crap though.  Until Scotty came along with their crap wire, no one using Cannons considered there was a need for an alternative.

There is a lot of lead on the ocean floor thanks to Scotty wire.  It cost me several hundred dollars to learn the lesson.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Markshoreline

Maybe "Made in Canada" is referring to the box, not the cable?  :biggrin:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

GoodDays

Us Snow Mexicans make Good Downriggers :-)    I find I don't catch as many fish with braid, but I haven't fished as much since I switched...  Maybe wire made me fish more ????????
:yeahthat:

GoodDays Greg