News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

FG Knot

Started by croaker stroker, November 28, 2016, 12:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

This knot was brought to my attention by Holoholo808.  Thank you holoholo. (And my thumb thanks you  :jester:)

I think I have finally learned how to tie this knot.  :biggrin:

I made an "FG knot fixture" using a couple of alligator clips and a short piece of Sevenstrand wire leader. Then just leaned the rod on my sofa. (I think this would work fine to place the rod in one of my rod holders on the boat)

I tied a knot in the end of my braid main line so I could grab the knot with the alligator clip and the line wouldn't slip out while I was tying the knot.

I got the idea of a "fixture" from this video. The alligator clip works pretty good.

I also liked the idea of continuing the overhand knots after cutting the floro, so there is no sharp little "tag end" to catch on anything.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tk2kNTDEhGo

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

Just remember to remove the alligator clip from your shirt to avoid giving others the impression that you are a nerd.   :jester:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

Or a pot head.... :whistle:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

Ha, I'd forgotten about those!!!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

I keep forgetting how many twists I've made.  ??

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Holoholo808

Very nice! I may have to make one of those too as the braid sometimes slips from between my teeth...

Hope you get to test that knot out on some fish in the near future!
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

croaker stroker

Without my tool, I have to stop talking to tie the knot.   :beerchug:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Salmon King

I've never seen or heard of this not before.
I just might have to learn to tie this even though I don't use Flora carbon or braid
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

dbhazjack

I've been using the Tom Collins knot which is a great top shot knot but tends to catch on the pole tip. Just tied this knot and it is much smoother since the mono is not doubled. Now whether or not to trust it[emoji51]
Thanks for the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

Ssericz

I cannot get this knot to really hold and not slip, I tied it exactly as the video showed nothing it pulls thru with a few lbs of pressure

If u want smooth knot less go with a section of hollow and fingertrap it then a touch of superglue I use that for heavy line splices 80+ so it glides thru the guides

croaker stroker

The main line has to be tight.....and you have to pull on the floro each wrap. My first couple of tries slipped too. I had to watch the video over and over. The floro comes up one over then around back and up and over, then when you pull the floro, the main line snaps into place. Looks like the braid on a little girl's hair.

I can tie this one.....I can't tie a monkey's fist.   :shrug9: :beerchug:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Ssericz

Next time I see you mark I'll have to watch you tie it.

For now I'll keep tying my knot that hasn't failed me

I've been tying it for 15 or so years and it was a knot I showed many people and no one had a name for it now they call it an Alberto knot

croaker stroker

....and you can teach me how to tie a monkey's fist on my butt cord.   :1zhelp:

I have also been using the "Alberto" knot.  (Same as the "Modified Albright)  it is a great knot, but the doubled floro gets caught on the tiptop and the tag cuts my thumb when casting. I have to be careful to wind it on the left side of my reel spool and thumb the spool on the right when casting.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Ssericz

To fix the sticky tag end
Tie a half hitch on the floro and pull tight then snip tag as close to hitch as possible no more snags

dbhazjack

Here is another video that may help. The first one with the Auzzie was maybe a little harder to follow. I really like this knot. Give it a try.

https://youtu.be/pjzUb5QRKuk
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

Ssericz

I'll give it a whirl this dude was a much better instructor haha

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Holoholo808

Quote from: dbhazjack on December 03, 2016, 04:00:11 PM
Here is another video that may help. The first one with the Auzzie was maybe a little harder to follow. I really like this knot. Give it a try.

https://youtu.be/pjzUb5QRKuk

Sorry, that's the original video I meant to post  :doh: definitely a way better explanation.
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

croaker stroker

Should look like this...

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸