News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Cutwater?

Started by headduck, November 18, 2016, 01:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headduck

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bod/5882389241.html

Anybody seen one of these???

Quite well appointed...and interesting thing going on at the water line..?

2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Markshoreline

You can see one at the boat show.  I've drooled all over their 26 for a few years- this one looks like a better fisher, though.  Not that we can fish anymore...
They are really nicely made and finished boats!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

pgbrown

Well now, the wife would like that. 
2014 17' Sea Ranger
90 hp Yamaha
9.9 hp Yamaha

Salmon King

Beauty of a craft for sure!  Kind of a smallish dance floor though.
Of course that really shouldn't matter much at the rate we are losing our right to fish.
Now all you wanted to do was to cruise around the sound and maybe overnight now and then.....

I bet a 22' SL or a 21' Explorer would work equally well and cost less to buy AND operate.
Comfort level, I imagine, would be pretty close too.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Shackleton

I saw it at the aboston boat show last year. Pretty nice. I'll have to wait 20 years to buy a used one!

headduck

The hull design looks fairly unique. Fit and finish would make me feel like I should preserve it and not use it....guess that means I can't afford it. :shrug9:
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

fbtased2002

86' sea hunter, 85' Johnson 50, 11' yami f6 -dads pride and joy

Markshoreline

The sticker would make me explore used boats...

ak-angler

Interesting looking boat. But not exactly a stripped down dedicated fishing boat... Full head, built in grill and a sink on the back deck, microwave, fridge, sleeps 2-4... lots of amenities for the cruiser crowd. Can't really compare price tags between a new Cutwater and a used Arima, but I don't think the price is totally out of line when compared to closer competition. How much is a new 22 Arima (including power)? Or a 25 foot C-Dory? Sea Sport Explorer 24? 23- or 25-foot Ranger tug? Rosborough RF246? ... Can't really be that much cheaper, can they?   :shrug9:

1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Vancouvertechie

2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

Shackleton

Quote from: Vancouvertechie on December 06, 2016, 06:12:36 AM
There are other alternatives.  Hopefully sooner than later.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000/Albin-28-Tournament-Express-2988508/Middlesex-County/NJ/United-States#.WEbG8fkrK00

VT

I had an Albin 27 FC which was the model that the attached boat replaced.  My boat was a slow, slow boat and very heavy.  Very well built but a different animal from the trailerable boats listed above.  Overall I think I am happier with the Arima to be honest.

Diablo

Quote from: Vancouvertechie on December 06, 2016, 06:12:36 AM
There are other alternatives.  Hopefully sooner than later.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000/Albin-28-Tournament-Express-2988508/Middlesex-County/NJ/United-States#.WEbG8fkrK00

VT

I was looking at and became obsessed with Albin 28 about 7 years ago before we bought the cruiser we have now.. There were two in the area around and over $100K. The price on the one above seems very reasonable. This is not a boat you could trailer around and launch by yourself. You would want moorage near where you like to cruise / fish. Very nice NW boats.
Note: the listing said "aft cabin" that is a stretch, there is a bunk that goes aft from the cabin.

The fishing / cruising boat dilemma, the bigger the boat gets for cruising the less fishable it is. Then you will want to put your fishing boat on your cruising boat or tow it.  :twocents:
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

ak-angler

Quote from: Diablo on December 06, 2016, 10:18:11 AMThe fishing / cruising boat dilemma...

... there is no perfect boat. It's all about finding something that meets all of your needs, and most of your wants, at a price you can afford. And there's a lot of good to be said about an Arima in that regard. Just like any other boat, they're not perfect. But they deliver so much in such a small package. It's actually pretty amazing.  :smile1:
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Shackleton

I really like the Ranger Tug 23.  Maybe that will be affordable in 15 years :shrug9:

Vancouvertechie

Yes, I would agree there is no one perfect boat.  My 19' is great, but not a great overnighter or pocket cruiser for 3 or 4.  We had such a great time in the San Juan that I would like to cruise and anchor in the summers up there more.  I know in the Puget Sound that salmon fishing is becoming a rare commodity, but hopefully both shrimping and crabbing will still be around.  Maybe a little Canadian fishing if there is an opportunity.

I plan on dry stacking that boat up north somewhere and having a small boat in my garage down here.  Right now the 19's sits in a heated warehouse, but I think a smaller boat will get used more locally.  The larger boat will be my weekend get away or two week excursion through the islands, Victoria, and maybe the inside passage.

As much as I love fishing and eating what I catch.  I find that being on the water and cruising is just as enjoyable.  So long as I am bringing fish from Mexico home. 

VT

Threeweight

If I had the $$ and wanted a fiberglass luxury 28' cruiser/fisher, I'd be looking at the Whaler Conquest 285.

http://www.bostonwhaler.com/family-overview/conquest-boat-models/285-conquest-pilothouse/
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: Threeweight on December 06, 2016, 11:16:03 AM
If I had the $$ and wanted a fiberglass luxury 28' cruiser/fisher, I'd be looking at the Whaler Conquest 285.

http://www.bostonwhaler.com/family-overview/conquest-boat-models/285-conquest-pilothouse/

I hear ya on those. Couple years back I looked a the conquest and the Wellcraft Coastals.  Too bad no photos of the cuddy on that Boston on their site.  My thoughts are whats going to happen with the outboards and Ethanol in the future?  I don't foresee that problem with diesel, but I could be wrong.  Being in the NW I am all for diesel heat.   The boat can be on a trailer but with your wide load permit.  7500 lbs.

Sorry Headduck to hijack your thread.  The Cutwater and Ranger are nice boats, but most of them push 6 figures.

VT

Threeweight

I crawled around in a Conquest 285 at a boat show a few years ago (believe it or not, they had one w/ the full hardtop and alaska bulkhead at the Portland show).  The interiors are very nice, with a full stand-up show and head, big king-sized master berth, and second queen size berth under the pilot house.  Lots of stainless and teak in the interior, but the price tag was $$$$$$.  Whaler's video on them shows a lot more of the interior:

https://youtu.be/XXhn_MVTltA

Ethanol vs. diesel... I'm not that worried.  Ethanol is a problem for older motors, not modern motors designed to tolerate the higher dose of alcohol in it.  Most marina's already carry E0 anyway, and once you get into a 28' class boat you are not going to be trailering that sucker back and forth every Saturday.  Marine diesel engines typically cost about 50% more per horsepower than an outboard, and maintenance can be much more expensive (especially Volvo-Penta diesels).

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Yachter Yat

The answer is simple...........a Sea Hunter and a 40+ foot trawler yacht.  Now, the Hunter, no problem........the trawler.............

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Diablo

Ah the perfect boat. I believe there many on this forum that feel they have the perfect boat.
When I had my 17SR it was great for fishing, I could tow the kids around on tubes, spend time on the lake. Went to the hydro races, opening day. I could take out of town friends out for a cruise. Affordable. It was just what I needed, then. So at that time in my life it was my perfect boat. Now things have changed but for me my 19SR is just right for the what I use it for. A new one would be nice but $ then I $ would $ worry about $ bumping the dock $ or friends $ that might $ scratch something.  And I would have to redo all the customizing I have done.

So I guess if you don't have the perfect boat you may need more boats. If you want to see if there are larger boats in your price range go to Yachtworld and do a advanced search. It's fun I search all the time.

For example I found Saddam Hussein Yacht for something like $100K

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/03/28/article-0-0062A75900000258-674_634x423.jpg
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Markshoreline

Looks like a missile found it first!

Rokefin

WOW! That Whaler looks just like the ticket!!  but would need a winning lottery ticket to buy it:(