Author Topic: Neah Bay 2017  (Read 5687 times)

Offline HemiGTX

Re: Neah Bay 2017
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2017, 10:19:47 AM »
Moorage booked at Big Salmon.  Reserved 23' for my 19' SR. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:23:46 AM by HemiGTX »
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 10:58:45 AM »
I got my moorage booked at Neah Bay as well.   The Big Salmon is requiring you book from May 3rd to 11th.   They also said you must correctly state you total length or possible fines could be levied?    Said they had problems last year with folks understating their total boat length.

Bruce   
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2017, 11:53:56 AM »
Got my Dock space as does Big Mac

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline HemiGTX

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2017, 01:39:11 PM »
SF, thanks for reporting in.  It saved me the effort of having to belittle and humiliate you on a public forum.

Offline HemiGTX

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2017, 02:30:10 PM »
And if Markfromshoreline wants the boots he left in my truck returned, he had better report in as well.

This is the only forum I've seen where the members have to ride herd on the moderators.

:biggrin:

Offline GregE

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2017, 04:02:36 PM »
I'm in. 

reserved for the SR 19 -- but may change to Kodak if family interest picks up ( a lot )   :wink:

May be staying on the boat or sharing costs for on of the little cabins.  If anyone has space for two- let me know.  We'll probably just be there around the halibut dates + a day or so.

Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 04:29:07 PM »
I'm out (again).  Reserved my Buoy 10 salmon spots, some Newport halibut weekends, and springer moorage.  May be available to crew if someone needs it  :whistle:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline wedocq

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2017, 04:34:15 PM »
I got my moorage booked at Neah Bay as well.   The Big Salmon is requiring you book from May 3rd to 11th.   They also said you must correctly state you total length or possible fines could be levied?    Said they had problems last year with folks understating their total boat length.

Bruce

I got a 21'er, and usually say 23', accounting for a couple feet of engines. This year I paid a little extra and said 27'. I had the same problem as Bruce last year (They stuck me with a boat that was didn't accurately report its overall length, albeit, not as bad as Bruce's situation). Hopefully I will be put in a spot that's not so tight.  I am looking forward to this season!
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki DF175 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »
SF, thanks for reporting in.  It saved me the effort of having to belittle and humiliate you on a public forum.

Yes, Let's please keep such activities on a private, personal level... :berry:

STreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline HemiGTX

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 05:51:34 PM »
 :jester:

Offline Okiesdad

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017, 08:36:53 PM »
Hi Guys , 

I'm hoping to finally make it this year for the first time ( Figures ... May is our busiest month of the year at work) I have been wanting to go for years and I'm starting to come to the realization that I just need to DO IT !  Without the ability to guarantee anything for sure .... what is my best option for making the best of it ?  We can launch / retrieve the boat if mooring is tough and we can sleep in the boat too if needed. Most likely we would only be there a day or two at max. anyway. So if someone wouldn't mind giving us the fundamental nuts and bolts of this adventure it would be much appreciated. Thanks !!

O.D.
19' SR Hardtop
115 Yamaha
    8 Yamaha

Offline HemiGTX

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 10:04:48 PM »
OD:  we all try to help everyone get on fish and have a good time, so no worries from that perspective!  Some of these guys really know their stuff when it comes to catching halibut.

Offline GregE

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2017, 11:26:04 PM »
OD and others-  I bought 4 extra Fish n Maps for Neah Bay and just recently found them still in the shipping envelope.  These are the waterproof charts with GPS plots for most key points listed.  I'll bring them to the Boat Show get together on Jan 28 and the lead pour DTBD.  I can mail them also.
Secret Squirrel info available
I think they are selling for $11 + now-  I'll double check that and post in the for sale section.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 11:29:56 PM by GregE »
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 08:35:46 AM »
I have moorage through the 13th if anyone wants/needs from 7th through 13th (or any other dates in that spectrum), I am sure we can come to an equitable agreement.  Please let me know

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline blue heron

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 08:47:46 AM »
OD,
If you're a newbie to Neah Bay halibut fishing both accommodations and fishing technique could use pre-planning.
Regarding accommodations, you sound to be in a similar situation as I am. I'm retired so have no personal issue with time off, however, my crew is made up of family who does have time issues.  If you choose mooring during hali season you'd need to pay for up to 10 days even if you only stay 1 day.  I have used mooring and left the boat there while going home between fishing dates, however, I have also gone for single-day trips and pulled the boat back home when the crew had to leave.  If you're going to use moorage, you should reserve it asap as they fill up fast (probably within days). To get the most of the group activity you'd probably want to reserve moorage and make a weekly vacation of it.  If you're going to do the daily launch/pull out, expect long (verrrry long) lines at the boat ramp. Also, there is not much group get-together time on the 1-day trips because the whole day is spent on the water or at the cleaning station. 
Regarding fishing technique, there is a learning curve. A lot of us can say we were skunked on our first halibut outing.  My suggestion is to take up the above offers for help with mapping because it is a big ocean and a starting go-to point will help. But you'd need to do that in advance of your 1-day trip because there is no time for instructions in the morning when the boats are heading out.
With most areas of the State's hali seasons set for the same (3) days this year, I'm curious about what the crowd size will be.  Another unknown is the weather.  A storm can shut down the fishing for a day, and if that happens the hali quota might not be attained - in which case a later day could be added to the season.  I always like those added days because the crowd is usually smaller.
SR-19
115 Yamaha
8 Yamaha

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 01:50:24 PM »
Missed on accommodations for the opening (4th/6th) season.  So it looks like I will have moorage available for that time if anyone wishes to make a deal, at least at this point.

Talking with some folks in Sekiu who suggested I look at fishing the Canadian side.  Hmmm  1 halibut per day,, 3 ling, 8 ?sea bass?.  As long as I stay away from Swiftsure I can get license on line, just need to check in via radio with Canadians???

Can pick tides and weather as the Canadian season stays open into June...  Chinook season during the same time?  Hmmm 

We did get a cabin for after the 7th...  Lots to discuss with the others on the boat.

StreamFixer

'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline wedocq

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 05:47:49 PM »
Can someone bring an RV? How about a tent? :biggrin:

Offline Okiesdad

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 07:07:35 PM »
Thanks for all of the good information for a newbie to NB.  If the launch lines are very long ... Are there other launches within a reasonable distance ? 
19' SR Hardtop
115 Yamaha
    8 Yamaha

Offline wedocq

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 07:21:09 PM »
Thanks for all of the good information for a newbie to NB.  If the launch lines are very long ... Are there other launches within a reasonable distance ?

This is just a hunch, but I don't think the launch lines will be as long this year. In previous years, we were able to jump from one halibut opener to the next. I would see the same boats at every port. This year, all 3 days of halibut fishing will be the same amongst all the ports. Now everyone must choose a Port, instead of hitting all of them. I believe that's going to bring the boat launch lines down a bit. We shall see!  :shrug9:
-Shawn

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 09:43:58 PM »
Found a travel trailer  for 4/6 fishing that will accommodate our needs,  Having to take two rigs for 6 hour drive sucks...

Now to find a place to park it!!

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline wedocq

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2017, 10:53:54 PM »
Found a travel trailer  for 4/6 fishing that will accommodate our needs,  Having to take two rigs for 6 hour drive sucks...

Now to find a place to park it!!

StreamFixer

Call the Cape! If not, you can camp in Sekiu and drive up.

Offline beancounter

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2017, 05:14:18 AM »
If anyone has an open spot I would be most appreciative. Have an electric outfit and an Avet 2speed if I resort to reeling as a backup both spooled with braid. In addition to paying my share of expenses I can offer accomodations for one in my truck camper complete with hot shower.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2017, 07:59:01 AM »
Jimmy,
I sent you a pm- my plans changed and I'm still interested in taking my boat to NB.
Mark
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline beancounter

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »
Thanks Mark I'm stoked. Gonna leave here earlier than usual just in case the weather is bad in the Rockies on my way out. Don't want to miss it.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »
Excellent plan-
We have moorage booked.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9