News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Lenco Actuator Failed

Started by dbhazjack, October 26, 2016, 05:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbhazjack

Dang, what a bummer. Noticed earlier this year that one of my trim tabs sounded a little labored and was occasionally blowing a fuse. Figured it just needed to get exercised since it is on the side I don't use much. Called Lenco and they gave me the trouble shooting procedure. And of course there is a 3 year warranty....which expired last April  :berry: Why is that always the case????? So no option other than buy another actuator.

So, since it failed the troubleshoot, I figured I would take it apart to see what's up. The internals were filled with water and corrosion everywhere. Not too impressed. Anyone else been down this road. Other than this, they have preformed well. I can't believe the thing still worked at all!! The o-ring seals look fine. The shaft seems to have some play. Maybe the tab hit something while it was down? I'm not sure what seals the shaft arm. Maybe I'll explore a little more.
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

Markshoreline

I've had Lencos for four years with no issues so far and the boat lives in the water.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

dbhazjack

After a complete disassembly and inspection of the actuator, I found a seal that was pinched slightly.
In the factory picture in the middle of the unit is a Buna O ring.

You may be able to see the pinch mark in my photo.

I'll call Lenco and discuss this with them but wanted to share this with the Arima community. If you hear a change in operation or blow a fuse don't wait until out of warranty like I did!
Probably just unlucky on my part...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

croaker stroker

Maybe they'll cover it anyway.  :shrug9:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

First Cabin

If you get good ones, feel thankful.

When I had Lencos on my boat, I seemed to blow fuses from time to time and replace one actuator just about every year.  Electrical components underwater....just a matter of time...longer for some, shorter for others.

I'm about 10 years into hydraulics now...added some fluid this year....
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

dbhazjack

Quote from: First Cabin on October 27, 2016, 02:28:26 PM
If you get good ones, feel thankful.

When I had Lencos on my boat, I seemed to blow fuses from time to time and replace one actuator just about every year.  Electrical components underwater....just a matter of time...longer for some, shorter for others.

I'm about 10 years into hydraulics now...added some fluid this year....

Ouch :doh: Good points FC. I made the decision on Lenco's because I liked the ease of install, the absence of a pump and fluid res in premium space, and the speed of the actuators. Based on this experience and your comments, I would go the hydraulic route in the future. Also, this is probably why Defiance installs hydraulic on factory Arima's.......

FWilliams

interesting, I have had lencos on my last 2 boats and added them to my Arima when I bought it, I have never had a failure  or fuse blow, better knock on wood :biggrin:
2007 21 ft. Sea Ranger HT 115 Yamaha 4 stroke  9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke. sold

Yachter Yat

Not sure what the significance of it is, but I was walking through a Boston Whaler dealer yard last year and noticed all the Whalers were equipped with Lenco tabs.  Since I trailer my boat, I'd probably go with the Lencos..........apparently, a lot easier to install and less complicated in general.  My 2.   

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Chief of the Boat

You might try mailing the failed part back to Lenco.  The O-ring could have been damaged during manufacturing.  Fails at three and a half years on a trailered boat.  :shrug9:  Boston Whaler probably installs them because they are getting a great price and they save time installing at the factory.  Grady White uses hydraulic tabs. :stirthepot:

Yachter Yat

Yeah.......you could be right, Chief......could just be a cost thing with Whaler.  I just think simple might be better on such a small trailer boat.  My 3.........ha.

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)