News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Another TUNA trip

Started by GregE, October 09, 2016, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregE

Got a weather window today and tomorrow out of Westport an watching the following storm systems it's looking this may be the last shot this season.  Heading over this evening but will have to wait until 5 AM to get ice.  Using the forklift / tote to load directly in the boat is worth the  effort.

Mark and Hemi will be coming over in the AM for a O dark thirty launch. 

Pictures and story to follow,    but you knew that..........   :wink:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

BestBoats

Good luck Greg. Sounds like they have been killing them up there still....hope you find them! I am mourning  that this Tuna season over for me.
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Nineball

Good luck guys!
I will be on one of marks boats at 0630. Lets round up some tuners!
Parker 2310, 225suzi, 9.9HT

rasslingref

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

tc808

Wishing you all tight lines, bloody decks & safe travels!

Threeweight

Good look.  Weather has been craptacular down here in Oregon for the last two months  :berry:  Fat lady is definitely singing, we have 35 mph winds and 20 foots seas forecast next weekend.

Hope  you guys catch some fish!
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

rasslingref

Well?  How was it?

Kitsap County, WA

Kimbrey

I saw Gregg pulling in to get ice as I was finishing up.  He launched before I did as I was waiting for my crew to show up.  My crew who were a couple of Old Duffers, my older brother and his girlfriend, 68 & 69 respectively.  Both were green to the game.  Fish were around for us 1st thing in the morning and then it died with no life to target. I was a bit North of the Coleman group which I should have dropped down to when we went dead but I was too stubborn.  Later in the day I jumped off shore searching.  I stopped when I saw one fish break the water.  Actually I wasn't sure if it was a fish or a dolphin but stopped in desperation.  We had them boil around us with me pitching bait as chum hard but we couldn't keep the stop going as Jim and Karen got their fish tangled which left me out of the water.  We ended with 10 for the day all of which were a good large grade.  Crackered around 10 fish also.  It was a fun day with great weather with a bit of a bump on the ocean but close to no wind.  I just drift fished with live bait.

When it was dead I was searching for sign hard with the eyes.  My eyes locked on something breaking the water which ended up being a large sailfish.  Holy Crap!!!  Wonder how one could target those things?

Kim
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

wedocq

Cool! Sounds like a fun trip. Next time bring some young "designated reelers" with you. After all, the funnest part is hooking the albacore and the first 2 mins afterward. Beyond that, it's just hard work!! :biggrin: This system worked out great for me on my last trip out, right up until they figured out how to hook their own fish.  :doh:
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

BestBoats

Nice! I would have lost my mind trying to catch the sailfish!
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

rasslingref

Very nice Kimbrey

Kitsap County, WA

Keel-er

So did Greg's trip yield any fish?
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

GregE

I'm working on pictures and stuff........  Cant' find a skunk avatar/ imoge
Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Keel-er

1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

rasslingref

Quote from: GregE on October 12, 2016, 06:06:54 PM
I'm working on pictures and stuff........  Cant' find a skunk avatar/ imoge
Darn Greg. I had my fingers crossed for you.

Kitsap County, WA

GregE

I'll start a new thread for the pictures.

Some did great-  click the link for a 44# Albi pic   :applause:

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/44-lbs-of-tuna.640336/#post-4208707
Greg

Threeweight

Bummer.

40-50 mph winds hitting the Oregon Coast over the next few days.  Gusts supposed to reach 65 mph. 

I think the fat lady has sung on the 2016 Tuna! season :nono:. 

Now sure how it was for you WA guys, but the weather was just terrible here in Oregon since early August.  Only a handful of days smaller boats (under 25') could actually safely get out.  So bad that we are ending the year with surplus, unused halibut quota because the weather has just been too bad for most boaters to get out and fish.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Vancouvertechie

2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

Kimbrey

Tuesday as I was walking to float 10 from the boat ramp I ran into Mike the skipper of the Fury.  He went out on a fun trip on the Ms. Magoo Monday the day we were out.  They picked up 3 nice Yellowtail from a kelp paddy.  Dang I drove by a decent paddy when I was going up to set on a patch of birds.  Thought about stopping but with the other two crew I had aboard I thought it would be tough breaking out the spin gear.  I did have the rods set up in the rack but it would just be something new to get all tangled up.  Plus I didn't want the bird patch to go to waste.

Who knows if it's actually over that is if there is another weather break to take advantage of. Coleman had tuna last year the 1st week of November.  I'm fairly certain it's over for me as I'll probably head back to Alaska in a couple of weeks or so to fish a Bering Sea POP opener. 

For the future of West Coast albacore.....I wonder what the break up of The Blob will mean?  There has been some fairly skimpy years in the past.  We might have to be trailering our boats down to California.....hope not. 
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

wedocq

Quote from: Kimbrey on October 13, 2016, 01:25:21 PM
For the future of West Coast albacore.....I wonder what the break up of The Blob will mean?  There has been some fairly skimpy years in the past.  We might have to be trailering our boats down to California.....hope not.

That's a very good question. I have been tuna fishing since 2009, and have done fairly well every year. The Blob wasn't detected until 2013.

Some observations pre-Blob and during the Blob. Out of Westport, the general area that consistently held fish every year never really changed. You could run out to about N46.42 W124.52 and would most likely find fish in the general area. Before the blob, that was the general starting point and you would troll towards the 125 line and beyond. Since the Blob, there has been many times I have started out well short of that area and then trolled West towards those numbers. This year was all over the map, but if you go back and read all the bloodydecks postings, what area seemed to get mentioned the most? Roughly 46.42 124.52.

With that said, let's hope what happened to SoCal a while back doesn't happen to us! Nobody knows for sure, but the migratory patterns of the Albacore changed and SoCal gets very few Albacore these days.

-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.