News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

30 miles from launch 2 stroke Yamaha crap out

Started by Wiley, August 28, 2016, 04:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiley

So yesterday I took an ol' high school buddy fishing in bodega bay for lings  and salmon.normally I'd be a little apprehensive going that far in great white territory but He had friends in a buddy boat. So off we go. We cruised about 20,22 mph on flat seas. Beautiful. My little sea explorer was holding her own against the 25' bay runner..  Made our first drift, fish on a green ling. Fired the yami to get to the start of the drift again and smoke everywhere running like crap. Long story short we headed for home on the kicker a 2.5 hp Nissan for 30 miles. OMG 8 hours but we made it on 5 gas fill ups for the Nissan. I hadn't even started that little gem in 3 years but it sure saved my bacon yesterday. On the long ride home I found my top 2 spark plugs have water in them? Tried turning it over with plugs out to no avail. Anybody had similar problems with their Yamaha 85 hp ?
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

Salmon King

Wow!

My CV85 I bought new in 1983ish ran perfectly for me until I repowered with my Etec in 2012.
In fact....I sold it for $1600 to a guy living in Friday Harbor, WA and he's still using it...says he got a steal on the deal!!

Sorry to hear yours blew on ya.  No telling when that kind of thing is going to happen.
From your description it sounds like you cracked the Powerhead allowing water into the cylinders.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

GregE

Double Wow!!

Glad the kicker came through for ya.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

headduck

Never stranded 30 mi out, but let down 1 too many times...next things you know you got brand new power on the back...

pretty sure it was worth the peace of mind as the buddy boat was rarely there for us...but boy does that price tag sting....
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

BestBoats

That's a long boring slog! Too bad the buddy boat didn't have a tow rope!
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Tunacious

Wiliey,
My two cents just in case your interested  :two cents:

I often fish off shore and I never turn my motor off when I am that far from shore.  I find it is much better to just let the motor run.  Less chance of the motor not starting.

Also in regards to your kicker.  I no longer have a kicker but when I did when I launch my boat I always start my kicker and let it warm up.  If I was to ever need my kicker I want to know it is going to run and most of all I want to know it is going to start up right away when I do need it.  Just never know.

Tj805

That's to bad about your main motor.
I have basically the same motor and it's been good for me.
Although my local mechanic said its a ticking timebomb.
And my theory is when it breaks it breaks.
That's what the kickers for
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Wiley

Yup.. Had tow rope but probably couldn't go much faster than that anyway. So why mess up their fishing time? And yup I usually leave it running too, but not this time as we were trying to talk over 2 outboards. My mistake... I will employ the start the kicker at the dock advice though. Thanks for that one.. Brilliant. Unfortunately I may be dead in the water for quite awhile if my motor is toast. Have been pricing new ones and holy cow their a lot of money... Would probably need to finance for 30 years, so let's see new 90 etch at $11,700 installed for 30 at who knows what % equals anybody got an old surf casting pole for cheap??? :anyone:
10' Don Hill Pram

Yachter Yat

Wiley:

Let me ask you this:  At any time, while offshore, did you happen to be running the kicker in reverse, and backing down with the main engine shut off?   You did say you usually keep your motor running, "but not this time as we were trying to talk over two outboards".  If so, it might be possible that water was forced up into the power head.  This happened to a friend of mine, years ago, while anchored from the stern in the Merrimack River. (A dumb thing to do, I know) When he went to start the motor, all you could hear was a "click".  He pulled the plugs and turned the motor over a few times to see water spurting out from the cylinders.  Believe it or not, after reinstalling the plugs that motor started.  It was an Evinrude 4 cyl. two stroke.   

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Threeweight

$11,700?

You can get a 4 stroke Merc of Suzuki 90 for $2 grand less than that.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Tj805

Salinas valley marine has a 115 Yamaha for 8800
They keep telling me to buy it.
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Salmon King

That's overpriced for that 90 Etec.
They are great motors but let's not get crazy spending that much.
TW IS RIGHT...SAVE 2k and get a Suzi!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Wiley

Update: $2500. Quote for repair = pulled head, new gaskets, exhaust burned through plates to cyl.? = water intrusion? 6 bolts helicoil.. Or new Yamaha 90 for $8500. Plus tax and install labor, about $9500. Ouch :doh:
10' Don Hill Pram

La-Z-Buoy

I know you'd feel good with a new motor, aside from the price, but look for a decent used 4 stroke. They do show up and can be a more fiscally reasonable alternative. I picked up a nice Honda 90 several years ago and it was running like new when I sold the boat this year.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Threeweight

Put $2500 in that old motor, and you will have a nice running motor worth $2000, until the next thing breaks.

If you can afford it, repower.  Either with a used 4 stroke, or with a new one.

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Wiley

Yes and put $10k into a motor on a 1996 boat and I'll have a boat and motor worth $9k ??? :yeahthat:
10' Don Hill Pram

Threeweight

I sold my 1989 Chaser for over $16k.  A boat is always a depreciating asset, but a modern 4 stroke holds its resale value pretty darn well.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Red 22

Quote from: Wiley on August 31, 2016, 10:13:27 AM
Yes and put $10k into a motor on a 1996 boat and I'll have a boat and motor worth $9k ??? :yeahthat:

Repowered my old trophy (paid $6500 for it) with a $8500 Yamaha four stroke motor repower. Sold the set for $14,500 not bad considering I used the Yamaha for almost 10 years . Long term the repower should work out ok.
Tony

05' Red Legend 22 skip tower, Honda 225, Honda 9.9,  Garmin 740s, Garmin HD 18 radar Garmin GHP10 auto-pilot
"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go.
-Sterling Hayden

Yachter Yat

Resale value notwithstanding; if you plan on keeping that boat for a while, I'd seriously consider repowering with new.  I'm sure nobody has to tell you (given you're recent experience)  that it's a big ocean out there.  For me, the peace of mind alone is well worth it.  Think safety and stay safe.   My 2.

Yat

History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Salmon King

Wiley,

A while back I posted a for sale post on several used 4-stroke motes I found on CL.
The guy runs a shop in Concrete, WA.
His motors come with a warranty (although that may not be of much use to you, it may provide some peace of mind).

I just seen he placed some new ads on the Skagit CL last night.

You gotta do what you can do but...
New or used I have to agree with everyone else here, your old 2-stroke is not worth the money to repair it.

:twocents:
S.K.
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Wiley

Interesting, very interesting. With the four strokes weighing in at #100 lbs. more than my 2 stroke I've been thinking more along the lines of saving the $10k and the #100 lbs and investing in a 10 ish hp kicker at around a #100 lbs. and four times the speed of my 2.5 Nissan LOL. And definitely now a bay and delta boat. Really don't need to run 30 miles from launch offshore anyway. ???   :shrug9:
10' Don Hill Pram

La-Z-Buoy

Come on Wiley, you're really not living up to the expectations of the Arima forum here. We're seriously trying to help you spend YOUR money  :doh:  :biggrin: ! Now get with it. Pull out that plastic and let's see some results...........   :stirthepot:    :clap:

Lord knows I've done it enough  :facepalm:  :redface: .
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT

Salmon King

2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

La-Z-Buoy

Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT

Salmon King

well he was talking about an 85 so I thought I was in the ballpark.
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)