News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

what do you think about this 19 ht

Started by cobyb, July 02, 2016, 08:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobyb

howdy fellas,
i have been lurking this forum for a while and think i found a good boat to start with, its a 97 19 ht at defiance marine in bremerton. the wife and i went to look at it earlier and like it alot.
its very clean and looks to be in great shape with a ton of maintenance records, im a little leary of the 2 stroke with 633 hours but im told its a great runner. it come with a few extras 4 stroke merc 9.9, manual downriggers, gps/fish finder not sure which model, and even more. it was getting late and they were getting ready to close so we didnt get a lot of time to look it over but it seem like a decent deal, its on consignment and we put in an offer of 20k. what are your opinions as i dont have any experience other than this forum.
thanks for any help
coby

http://www.defiancemarine.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=2168075&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

Salmon King

If that main has been maintained as well as the rest of the boat you have no worries.
Those Mercury Offshores were ALMOST as bulletproof as the 2-stroke Yamaha's were.
I'd bet you'll get at least about 1000 hours out of it.
OR...you might get a decent trade value for it towards a new 4-stroke...
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

ATGEP

Compression test, compression test, compression test.  If it is good after these hours, The main should last for a bit.  Look closely for corrosion issues. The main engine is a great engine with a great reputation. I think it would matter how much you are looking to use the boat. If you are planning on running it a lot, the main may not be the best choice.

cobyb

definitely going to have the compression test done, and a general look over by a mechanic at defiance. is there anything else to look for regarding the main or hull. what do you mean by running it a lot, a lot of hours per year or several hours at a time

ATGEP

By running a lot, I mean:

If you are putting a few hundred hours a year, you may be looking for a motor sooner than later. If you log 60-100 hrs a year, the main may last a long time.

For me this year is going to be a 300 hr year.  :dance:

cobyb

ok thanks, 300 hours a year sounds like a good time

Markshoreline

Of course it is a two stroke with lower fuel economy than a 4 stroke and the smoke, of course.  They can be very reliable, long lived motors, however.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

beancounter

19' 19 years old just seems a bit on the rich side to me since you are asking. Even maintained well and running good that motor does not ring a lot on the resale register.

Yachter Yat

I like that model, but being a Honda fan boy, I'd want to know how much without the motors.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

cobyb

I understand that the price is a bit on the high but i think that is just how it goes around here. im hoping that ill save in the long run with not out growing the boat with the 2ftitis.

StreamFixer

2 footitis:  All that going to a 21 will get you, as far as usable space, is about 18" more length in the open fishing deck.  Being a bit longer (10% +/-) it will handle more smoothly on a rough sea also.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

La-Z-Buoy

Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. Sometimes private owners won't dicker but I've not dealt with a dealer that won't.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

cobyb

just out of curiosity what would be a fair price for an arima in this condition, do to arima's in good condition don't sit around for very long i have already put an offer on it.

WaterJunkie

Quote from: cobyb on July 03, 2016, 10:41:48 AM
just out of curiosity what would be a fair price for an arima in this condition, do to arima's in good condition don't sit around for very long i have already put an offer on it.

In my opinion since i was in the market myself a few months ago, it's a few grand over. Boat and trailer seems great especially for the year. Unfortunately the motor and hours on it are deal breaker to some people like myself. However, if this combo works for you, jump on it and push the price since you dont have me paying asking price for it.
1996 SR 17 w/2014Honda 75 and Tohatsu 6

ATGEP

Quote from: cobyb on July 03, 2016, 10:41:48 AM

Price depends on how patient you are. I would personally be looking to pay about 15k. Logic is main engine cost. Replacement is about 12K. This boat with new power would sell quick in the mid 20's. If you go in at 20 and have to repower you will be upside down when you sell. You do get to use your boat and can have it right now. If you plan on keeping it for many years, it matters less as the cost can be spread over many years. At the end of the day, only you can decide what it is worth. Waiting has the cost of missing out on what you want to do and you have to consider what that is worth.

WaterJunkie

Quote from: ATGEP on July 03, 2016, 11:44:00 AM

Price depends on how patient you are. I would personally be looking to pay about 15k. Logic is main engine cost. Replacement is about 12K. This boat with new power would sell quick in the mid 20's. If you go in at 20 and have to repower you will be upside down when you sell. You do get to use your boat and can have it right now. If you plan on keeping it for many years, it matters less as the cost can be spread over many years. At the end of the day, only you can decide what it is worth. Waiting has the cost of missing out on what you want to do and you have to consider what that is worth.
Very well said. You and I think very much alike. My only weakness is patience. I hate waiting so I am willing to pay a little more if it is something that i actually want so i can use now instead of missing out.

Buying an Arima is tough. A good one priced right won't last more than a day.
1996 SR 17 w/2014Honda 75 and Tohatsu 6

cobyb

well i figured it a little high but not quite that bad, i have spent a few years looking at boats and thinking about getting one, and now is the time to pull the trigger. i have definitely seen some better deals pop up and have disappeared just as quickly. so i jumped on this one as quick as i could, and if we end up overpaying i think we will still be happy. like everyone has mentioned my main concern is with the main, of course its the most expensive to replace but hopeful it has a few good years left in it. i'm definitely a firm believer in maintenance.

we'll see what happens on tuesday.
thanks again coby

ATGEP

Post inspection and sea trial, there will be room to re-negotiate if there are any "findings" .  I only got my boat because it was overpriced. Even my low ball offer was a few grand over what I wanted to pay but I got the boat I wanted and she was ready to splash when I got her.

La-Z-Buoy

Quote from: LimitOut on July 03, 2016, 12:11:57 PM
Quote from: ATGEP on July 03, 2016, 11:44:00 AM

Very well said. You and I think very much alike. My only weakness is patience. I hate waiting so I am willing to pay a little more if it is something that i actually want so i can use now instead of missing out.

Buying an Arima is tough. A good one priced right won't last more than a day.

It is indeed a difficult balance: how bad you want it versus what you're willing to pay versus how long you're willing to wait. Good luck.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Rokefin

Very sweet boat! Sounds like you have spent a fair amount of time looking, and I know you know as well, but I would be pulling the trigger in the fall/winter for maybe a better deal. I personally would never buy a 2 stroke boat unless the price was good enough for an immediate repower.

Good luck and I know you will enjoy an Arima.

Chief of the Boat

Coby,
Nice boat, with a lot of factory options.   The clean ones sell  fast, this will  be no  exception! 
:twocents: :stirthepot:

troll4fish

I am going to throw my two cents in here...on the trailer! I do not feel it is near enough trailer especially if you are going on ANY road trips longer than a few miles or routinely trailer on a less than smooth road! That boat needs to be on a tandem axle trailer. I have a 92 Sea Chaser 17 with a Mercury 90HP EFI 4 stroke that weighs 386 and a Honda 8HP power tilt full remote kicker that all in weighs 165 and a single axle EZ Loader trailer and I am searching for a deal locally for a tandem trailer because at 3000+ lbs all in for a loaded boat a single axle trailer is not enough, especially in my case as I trailer at least 120 miles up into the Colorado mountains and a 3500 mile round trip fishing adventure to Vancouver Island every year.  :twocents:
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!

cohosalmon

I am not sure why you are saying this but I have a perfectly fine single axle trailer that is rated for 4000#.

rasslingref

Quote from: Chief of the Boat on July 03, 2016, 03:08:12 PM
Coby,
Nice boat, with a lot of factory options.   The clean ones sell  fast, this will  be no  exception! 
:twocents: :stirthepot:
I agree COB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

croaker stroker

Quote from: cohosalmon on July 04, 2016, 10:42:16 PM
I am not sure why you are saying this but I have a perfectly fine single axle trailer that is rated for 4000#.

I personally prefer a single axle.   :biggrin:

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/square-tube-trailer-axle-2-x-3-5200lb-capacity/

Do they offer any kind of guarantee on the outboard ?
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸