News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Second battery and blue sea switch installation

Started by WVUElkman, May 09, 2016, 05:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVUElkman

I've purchased a blue see switch and acr. I've found this diagram from blue sea for installation. Questions are:

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1388

Mounting the battery in the starboard stern where the other battery is mounted defiance has 8 awg running from the battery up front to the circuit breaker panel. Will that be what I leave?

Also shows both battery negatives and one from acr going to a bus bar. I don't see that from the current battery. I will look again tonight but any help? 

I have a centennial mp24mf battery. I got another group 24 battery.

Thanks Wvuelkman
Thanks
2016 Sea Chaser 119
2016 Yamaha 115

Full-Pull

WVUE,
Blue Sea has a variety of ACR, Battery Switch, and Add-A-Battery Kit products available (yes, I work there).
Looks like you purchased an ACR and Battery Switch separately - correct?
For clarification, please post the part nos. of the specific items you have.

For starters, You're gonna need to buy a few more parts to complete  the install:

• A Negative Bus Bar. This will tie all the system Negative "grounds" (and batteries) together (aka 'bonding'). Several versions available, size it according to your equipment requirements.
  • 2 ea Fuses and Fuse Holders, 30A - 40A, one for each battery, connects between Battery Pos+ and ACR charge outputs. I highly recommend Blue Sea Terminal Fuse Block 5191 and mating 40A Battery Fuse 5176.
    Nice secure mounting directly to battery Pos+ posts. This is what I have on my personal boat, and also on the Blue Sea R&D Test Vessel (Pursuit 25 Offshore).
I recommend running all-new tinned marine-grade wire for all new connections on the ACR and Switch installations.
Please follow this link to our "Circuit Wizard", for useful info on wire sizing and system layout (you'll need to "Accept Terms of Use", on LH side of the screen):

http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com/

Hope this helps - for now. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Good luck,
Ted
'91 Sea Ranger 19HT
'05 Merc 115 EFI FourStroke - Main
'90s Honda BF-8A - Kicker

WVUElkman

Ted,
Thanks for the help. I'll look at the link you posted when I get a chance. I purchased Blue Sea 7649 Mini Add-A-Battery Kit - Boxed Packaging - 7649003 from anchor express. It came packaged with the mini acr. I found and read about it on this site and can't find my way back to it for additional information. I was ordering something else and added that on at the time.

Defiance used blue sea products and the existing battery has the set up you described I believe.

Thanks
Wvuelkman
2016 Sea Chaser 119
2016 Yamaha 115

Full-Pull

The 7649 Kit "should" have come with an instruction booklet.
If not, here is a link to it via our website:

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/instructions/980014350.pdf

An important thing I wish to point out:
On the installation diagram, look closely at the wiring connection scheme on both battery icons.
Notice that there are two wires connected to each Pos+ post as follows:

• Battery #1 - Pos+ post to Battery Switch Terminal #1: Direct, i.e. NO FUSE
  • Battery #1 - Pos+ post THROUGH FUSE (30A - 40A) to ACR Charge Terminal #1
  • Battery #2 - Pos+ post to Battery Switch Terminal #2: Direct, i.e. NO FUSE
  • Battery #2 - Pos+ post THROUGH FUSE (30A - 40A) to ACR Charge Terminal #2

I mention this because I recently helped another member of this board troubleshoot an issue during his M-A-A-B Kit installation.
Admittedly the diagram is a bit small; Turned out they had missed that detail, and had both Pos+ wires connected through the battery fuse...

'91 Sea Ranger 19HT
'05 Merc 115 EFI FourStroke - Main
'90s Honda BF-8A - Kicker

DevMah

WVUElkman

Please clarify this Quote.

Quote from: WVUElkman on May 09, 2016, 05:06:16 AM

Mounting the battery in the starboard stern where the other battery is mounted  defiance has 8 awg running from the battery up front to the circuit breaker panel. Will that be what I leave?

Do you mean both batteries are going to be in the aft compartment? Defiance has the original cable (8awg) form the front circuit beaker panel going the original rear  B+ battery pole?

If so then from output #2 pole of the switch is where you connect this lead, however I strongly recommend you follow ABYC 11E and add a fuse 7" or 40inch maximum if the conductor is housed in a sheath or enclosure in addition to the wire insulation. (between the switch output pole # 2  and the front circuit panel)

Please use the wire gauge chart provided in Full-Pulls link in accordance with the fuse size.

Factory Boats from Arima/Defiance do not meet this requirement as I has had to install a fuse hub in the rear to my boat.

FYI
ABYC Rule
Mounting placement dimensions for a fuse or circuit breaker (7"/40"/72" ABYC rule):7inch maximum if the conductor is not housed in a sheath or enclosure in addition to the wire insulation, 40inch maximum if the conductor is housed in a sheath or enclosure in addition to the wire insulation, 72 inch maximum if the conductor is connected directly to the battery and housed in a sheath or enclosure in addition to the wire insulation.

Dev

2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

WVUElkman

Yes, correct the aft compartment. Thanks for the help. I feel like I'm getting a handle on it. I was a residential contractor a lifetime ago and had a journeyman electricians license for residential electric. This is an entirely different animal. Thanks.
2016 Sea Chaser 119
2016 Yamaha 115