News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Thinking about downsizing

Started by Vancouvertechie, March 29, 2016, 07:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vancouvertechie

I know the phrase "go big or go home", but I think that is overrated to some degree.  I really am thinking about downsizing my 19' back to a 16' or 17' Sea Ranger.  I really like having the boat in the garage.

What do you guys think?

VT
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

StreamFixer

So -- What do we call wanting to go 2' smaller?  2 toof-siti?    :bigshock:   :stirthepot:

John, I keep my 19 indoors   :shrug9:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Tunacious

Going smaller just does not make sense.   :shrug9:

That is a whole new concept.   I can't imagine spending less money on my boat  :big shock:

In all seriousness:  What ever boat fits your lifestyle.

I think boats are a lot like guns.  You can't just have one.

Most of us only have one boat because you can't stick it in a closet like you do a gun. 

However because we only have one boat we are always wanting something else.

If you want a smaller boat you should do it.  Just remember when you get it you will be wishing you had something else. 

FWilliams

I tried it . It didn't work for me. we went from a 23 ft trophy to a 18 ft . figured a smaller slip would be less money as well, we found out we like taking other people out to much and was just to crowded even when just the 2 of us were on board. the only benefit was I found the arima I had been looking for when I decided to go back the other way.
2007 21 ft. Sea Ranger HT 115 Yamaha 4 stroke  9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke. sold

croaker stroker

I did.  The bigger boat was costly, a PITA to go to the storage yard to tow it home if something needed to be fixed. (And something always needs to be fixed).  Then we moved into an Association where I cannot park it where it can not seen from the street.  And it became too difficult for me to use as I got older.

So I got a "little big boat". I no longer have "Big boat envy"  :jester:

I realized "It's how you use it, Not how big it is".  :jester:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Hunter

10 years ago, our boat was a 1976 31ft Silverton kept in covered moorage in Edmonds.   We loved that boat and had many great memories fishing and diving from it.    But then there came a day after I had spent all afternoon changing the oil on both engines, then over to the fuel dock for a $600 fill-up, then home to open the moorage bill...that I had a moment of clarity.    We sold the beast and bought an 18 ft Trophy and parked it in the shop.   We had 8 great years on that Trophy and could drive it all day for less than 20 gallons on the Suzi 140. 

But then two years ago we had another moment of clarity and decided that we wanted something just a bit larger, enclosed cabin with heater, but still towable and shop storable.    I measured the shop carefully and the biggest towable boat that would fit was an Arima 22SL...... so the hunt began and we ended up with what we now think is the best boat yet.  A little big boat that's a big little boat....... Like Goldie Locks said about the baby bear's bed.............Juuuuuuuuuust Right!! 

PS..... Only two things that I slightly miscalculated.

1)   The storage shelf (loft) in the back of the shop gave me only a 1/4 in clearance with the Suzi all the way down.   That was just too close for comfort so I notched a couple of inches off the rim joist.

2)   Even though the tow rating on our 07 1/2 ton Chevy Silverado penciled out on paper, it became apparent after a few trips that the half ton gasser was just not the right tool for hauling the 22SL fully loaded with gear, water and fuel.   So we bit the bullet and bought a 2015 ¾ ton Duramax and couldn't be happier with this truck.   Tows anything uphill and the jake brake going downhill is the cats pajamas.     

Bottom line of all this is...... going smaller can sometimes be a good thing once you factor in all of the pro's and con's .    Ultimately going from the 31 beast in moorage to the 22 and storing at the shop has decreased our overall monthly expenses by more than enough to pay for the new boat and the truck..    It's also nice to be able to launch solo! 

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Tunacious

Hunter,
I am going to borrow your "Moment of Clarity" quote.

I can see it now.

"Honey, I just had a moment of clarity, we need to spend some more money on the boat"   :jester:

Shackleton

I had a 27 foot Albin Family Cruiser and had to pay someone to haul it every time she moved.  The bottom paint was a fortune and although I haven't used my Searanger 21 HT yet I am thinking it will do almost everything the Albin could and maybe  some things it couldn't.

GregE

1)The storage shelf in the back of the shop was just slightly too high and gave me only a 1/4 in clearance with the Suzi all the way down   

and # 2 is ......  :shrug9:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Salmon King

I've been contemplating a 19 or bigger... :whistle:
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

StreamFixer

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Hunter

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Hydro-Therapy

What is fixed now ?????? :shrug9: :shrug9: :shrug9: :anyone:

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

croaker stroker

The thing that he miscalculated.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Hydro-Therapy

He never did say what number 2 was .   Ahhhh PooP. :rimshot:

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

FWilliams

2007 21 ft. Sea Ranger HT 115 Yamaha 4 stroke  9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke. sold

Wyrguy

Quote from: GregE on March 29, 2016, 10:41:59 AM

1)The storage shelf in the back of the shop was just slightly too high and gave me only a 1/4 in clearance with the Suzi all the way down   

and # 2 is ......  :shrug9:

I've discovered that there are three types of people in this world:
1) Ones that are good at math

2) Ones that aren't!

'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Flying Arima

I downsized two feet from a 21ft trophy to a 19 chaser. I'm happy with my decision and the 19 has more fishing room and is a more seaworthy vessel in my opinion. It all boils down to personal preference.
James

2015 19ft sea chaser / REEL TYME
2015 yamaha 115

beancounter

I don't understand these people that can't decide which Arima they want.  :biggrin: Just kiddin there. No glass house here or anything. I don't think you would like going back to a smaller boat. The 19 rides a ton better than a 16 or 17. They are fine and can handle rough water but I am not that tough anymore. The 19 has more room for guests and power to carry them as well. Looks like you would go bigger being a ladies man and all that entails.

Tj805

I've got a 17 sea ranger and its been a badass boat.
That said
If I could get my hands on a 19 ft one I would be set for life.
The 17 does everything I want it to but a 19 would be more capable offshore
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

La-Z-Buoy

VT,
You yourself could probably answer that question better than most of us. You've owned 2 of the smaller ones, no 17 (yet). I know I'd like to up size, I think  :doh: . Too bad we are all not wealthy enough to own all of them  :rimshot: . Then we could never make up our mind which one to use.

I know  :whistle: , buy a 17 without a motor, put your 115 on it, and sell me your 19HT without the motor at a screaming price and we're all happy  :stirthepot: .

I guess I should probably just stop and be glad I've got an Arima. Seems us boat folks are (usually) never happy  :facepalm: .

Richard
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Marine40

My idea is to have a 21' and a 15'. That takes care of both worlds of a very nice ride and a small boat that can but put in a lake in a moments notice, now all I have to do is get them in the water......
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

Markshoreline

If you're talking about a Puget Sound boat, the 19 and 21 are ideal and they will also handle a lot of ocean days too.  And if you already have one, you don't incur any additional costs to keep it!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Omega3

I would build a bigger garage.! :dance:
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8