News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fillet Table Concept

Started by BruceL2_Fish, March 12, 2016, 05:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceL2_Fish

OK guys, looking for some input.   I have mocked up an idea for a Fillet table for my boat, primarily for Neah Bay although I may end up using it all of the time.  This mock up is big, it can handle a 47" fish, the front to back table will be 18" to 20" with a 2" drain trough in the back.   The idea in my head is to make the frame out of aluminum with a trough in the back that has two drain tube for blood and gunk to be flushed out behind the transom.   The top will be Starboard with a routed perimeter groove to help water flow to the back trough.   the sides and back will be Starboard as well.   I will have the table set with a slight angle to the back to help drainage.  I would plan to have some sort of accessory tray whatever and a block built on the side to safely store a couple of fillet knifes.  Finally a roller in the back so if I happen to lift the motor with the thing in the down position it will roll up with the motor and not damage the cowling.

All thought are welcome.

Bruce   
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

HemiGTX

It really sucks to have two people limit out and have less than 8 fillets to show for it....

Seeing as how I have experienced that...more than once..., I'm very interested in your project.

The design looks great.  It looks like you designed it to accommodate raising the main engine.  Which also puts it at a comfortable height for filleting. 

My only suggestion, having seen your work, is to consider making the frame out of stainless.  I doubt there would be much of a weight penalty, if any.  Plus, it would last forever and look good doing it. 

I suspect that, once it's built, your factory table will have a permanent place in your shop.  Your design is far and away more functional than the stock piece.

AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

tc808

looks like a great design, perhaps a provision for a cup holder add on?

BruceL2_Fish

Danan, I thought about stainless but, think I will use Aluminum, it does not stay bright but will hold up well.  I am also considering making it a bite smaller maybe only 36" wide.    I will do some more playing with it before starting to fav the real thing.   

Cup holders, might think about that.  The factory table cup holders usually end up with gear in them on my trips.   Not sure why?   Maybe relocated they might get used as actual cup holders.   
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

StreamFixer

Woody and I built such tables several years ago.  Pretty straight forward except we went all starboard.  The real genius of our design, thanks to Woody, was to build them waist high, none of the half crouch, bend the back to cut bait, fillet, whatever...   :nono:

Helped with motor and pukha access clearances too...

We used removable pin hinges to make install/removal easier too.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

BigMac

Where are you going to store it when not in use?
(Dave)

croaker stroker

Holes for drainage, holes for handles, holes for knives, holes for pliers, holes for scissors, holes for beer bottles, a hole to reach fuel bulb.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

BruceL2_Fish

Great feedback guys, keep the ideas coming.  Thanks. 

Bruce
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

croaker stroker

Remove some weight....

(Also allows fuel bulb access)

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Shackleton

The response from the non fisher - I wonder if there is some way to make it function as a stern bench when in the dotoo.n position and a dinner prep / bait table station when in the up position?

beancounter

Bruce looks good why not mix up some epoxy and coat it and put some cloth on to prevent checking paint it and be done. Looks like marine ply or luan on my little chromebook.

rasslingref

Bruce:  when you are done with your mockup I'll take it off your hands.  I like Beancounters idea.
David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Tunacious

I wonder how much a guy would use a cleaning box or some might call a gutting box in conjunction with a fillet table.

Im thinking a hinge somewhere near the middle of the fillet table but under the table so it is not in the way of a flat surface for a nice fillet surface.

You could flip up a portion of the table top exposing a cleaning box similar to what I recently made.

The cleaning box would be mounted to the under side of the fillet table.

It would not have the holes cut out like I have for the gills.

Just thinking out loud.

BruceL2_Fish

Interesting idea Walt, I will consider this as well. 
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

pescadore

Here's my low tech solution. I may cut out the gill notches on the band saw.

wedocq

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on March 13, 2016, 10:37:52 AM

Holes for drainage, holes for handles, holes for knives, holes for pliers, holes for scissors, holes for beer bottles, a hole to reach fuel bulb.

I don't know about those other lame ideas you have, but holes for beer bottles sounds reasonable!  :whistle: :biggrin:
-Shawn

I think a few of you guys missed the "mock up" comment. Bruce has a full sheet of Starboard and aluminum framing to build this thing. I have seen this "mock up" first hand. It's going to be sweet for cleaning fish at Neah Bay. He has it at just the right height that you don't have to crouch when cleaning fish, as well as plenty of room on the table for a 50lber!.
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

rasslingref

I think Bruce said no PBR on his boat. Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

BruceL2_Fish

Fabrication is starting this weekend.  I will be using some of the input from you all.   We will see how it turns out. 
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

croaker stroker

Reminds me of a Sony "dream meeting"....  Just missing paper napkin drawings, sushi, and Ichiban beer.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

tsuribaka

pescadore,

Thanks for posting that pic. I have the blue plastic "coho cleaner" but have stopped using it over the gunwale after losing a couple of fish under suspicious circumstances (I think the sea lions know how to "bump" fish out of the holder). Your approach would mitigate that risk.

blindmonkey

Quote from: pescadore on March 17, 2016, 07:10:00 AM
Here's my low tech solution. I may cut out the gill notches on the band saw.

I like this idea. What is the tray and where did u get it?
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

pescadore

It's just a plastic window flower box. This size fits in the fish box ( when it's empty) my larger one stows just under the bait table forward of the outboard.

Diablo

Probably too late now but here is what I did. The height is close to counter height, which makes for a very comfortable working height. It is hinged so the motor can tilt up and not hit poles in the pole holder below it, like the arima motorwell cover does. The hinge also allows access for refueling. it is not removable.

'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

BruceL2_Fish

That looks really good. :applause:
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

BruceL2_Fish

Here is my progress on the project.   Still got a ways to go.
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker