News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

19' SR Trim Tabs?

Started by rp2000r, March 01, 2016, 05:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2000r

Looking to help with the ride and leveling abilities depending on weight load.
What are the best tabs for the Arima's?

Instatrim
Bennet
Lenco

How hard is the install?

Measure, Drill, 4200 bolts in and hook up pump/power/switches?

I not the most mechanical guy but do most repairs/oil changes on my vehicles.

Thanks for any info!

Ryan in Bothell, WA

Markshoreline

They all work well on our boats and are a must have as far as I'm concerned.  I believe the Arima factory uses Instatrim which are electric/hydraulic.  I prefer the Lenco brand because they operate faster and are simpler to install because there is no hydraulic pump and hoses to install.  However, everyone has their favorite.  You will be able to do the installation.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

rp2000r

When screwing to transom is it drill first or just screw in?
Do they bolt on the backside with any nuts?
Is 4200 ok or something better to seal?

I prefer no Hyd pump or wires for a cleaner install.

Thx for info!

Markshoreline

The tabs usually come with SS wood screws in the package, there are no nuts.  They require an appropriately sized pilot hole prior to screwing them in and as you stated use a sealant, 4200 is a good choice. You can run the power lines over the top of the transom to avoid drilling holes with the electric models, however the hydraulic ones I've seen usually have holes in the splash well to route the hoses through from the pump which is mounted under the bait well.

wedocq

You must drill proper size pilot holes first. Fiber glass does not give like wood does. If you try to force a screw into it (or even into a wrong size hole), you will break the screw off into the fiberglass! 4200 is fine, I used 5200. The installation is pretty straight forward, you shouldn't have too many problems. The factory installs Instatrim 12x8. I have 12x9 and they work fine as well. I am not sure which brand is the "best", but the three you mentioned all make quality products. Do some research, I found pricing for these things to be all over the place! Also, I am pretty sure the Instatrim Boat levelers are going to be the most reasonably priced. If you look hard enough, you should be able to find the whole kit for $325-350 if I remember correctly. Good luck! There is a lot of info on the board if you do a quick search.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Salmon Hobo

Yes on the 19 the tabs are essential. I use them all the time on my 19..getting up on plane, levelling the ride and for trimming the bow in rougher weather. Also I find the boat runs nicer with the 14 gallon water tank full...that extra weight really helps in the bow.

rp2000r

Thanks for all the info guys!

Markshoreline

If you can swing it, the LED indicator switches let you know the tabs' position at a glance and make them much easier to use.

Packman

I installed Lencos on my 19 Ranger; they work just fine. Installation was fairly straight forward as long as you follow the instructions.  I used silicon sealer installing the tabs and have had no problems.  Do not use 5200 if you think you might ever want to remove the tabs.  I too recommend the pricey indicator switches, I like knowing exactly how much my tabs are down, even though you can usually "feel" their effect. 
Sea Ranger 19, Mercury 115 4-stroke

rp2000r

Definitely getting the indicater switches.
As far as wiring is it just power/ground to the batteries and running the wire for the switch to the helm?

DSCS

For the Lencos you will have a cable from each actuator to the control unit. Also a power cable to the control unit. Then a cable to connect the switch to the control unit. The cables between the various Lenco units have the plugs/connectors on them.

Alan

We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

Markshoreline

Quote from: DSCS on March 01, 2016, 01:06:17 PM
The cables between the various Lenco units have the plugs/connectors on them.

Alan

The Lencos are very easy to install- I didn't even have to bother Alan!  You have to drill one hole in the dash for the switch (or in my case I drilled below the dash through the starboard).  Make sure the spot you choose it easy to reach from the helm while you are steering.  I positioned it to use my left hand so I could steer or control the motor with my right.

Yachter Yat

If I recall correctly, the Bennett tabs have the hyro lines that go through the transom at the top of the actuator.  A lot neater, IMO, as you don't have those lines cluttering-up the transom.  That said, I'm not exactly sure if Arima's hull design would allow the Bennett lines to be run that way.  Reason is, the tabs are mounted so close to the center of the boat that the motor well fiberglass appears such that it may interfere with the lines coming into the bilge.  ???   :shrug9:

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

ATGEP

I did the insta-trim and have been very happy with them. For me the clutter of the lines going over the transom was a better option than drilling new holes through the transom.  I mounted the switch flat right above the engine control box.  It seemed like a good place ergonomically and it easy to reach being right next to the power lever(throttle).

beancounter

I installed the Bennett M-80 tabs on a 19 ranger before. 8x10 tabs nice and compact on our space challenged transoms. The lines went thru the transom very nicely at the top of the actuators and were below the motorwell and above the gas tank. In other words I got lucky and they were just right. Liked them so much I just bought a set to go on my 19 Chaser. I didn't order the expensive led switch as I never felt the need for them before. Play with them some and you get a feel for where you want them. I generally set my motor trim to be as level as possible for best thrust and then use the tabs to set my bow where I want it depending on sea conditions. When running an inlet with a large trailing sea I always retract them fully.

Salmon Hobo

Yes, I think you can get away without the LED also..it gets pretty intuitive anyway. When touching the trim while running generally I am running and looking out for traps/ crap in the water, not looking under the dash for LED. If the boat came with it great but if you are spending money now to upgrade I dont think it is full necessary.

Diablo

:yeahthat:
I have hydrolic without the indicators. When running it doesn't really matter what angle the tabs are at just how the boat is trimmed. If I am not sure where the tabs are I just run them all the way up and adjust from there. I can hear the hydrolic pump change pitch when at the upper limit.
There is one other option that when you shut the main off the tabs automatically go to fully raised.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

TJ Arima

Quote from: beancounter on March 03, 2016, 06:49:23 PM
I installed the Bennett M-80 tabs on a 19 ranger before. 8x10 tabs nice and compact on our space challenged transoms. The lines went thru the transom very nicely at the top of the actuators and were below the motorwell and above the gas tank. In other words I got lucky and they were just right. Liked them so much I just bought a set to go on my 19 Chaser. I didn't order the expensive led switch as I never felt the need for them before. Play with them some and you get a feel for where you want them. I generally set my motor trim to be as level as possible for best thrust and then use the tabs to set my bow where I want it depending on sea conditions. When running an inlet with a large trailing sea I always retract them fully.

I have 19SR HT and when running, I close the door so I can't hear the pump. Is there option to install the LED Switch? I saw wires at the pump but didn't know where they go to.  :doh: mine also goes thru the transom.
Island Time
1992 Sea Ranger 19 HT
2012 Suzuki 140

beancounter

The wires go to your control switch at the helm. Call Bennett if you have questions but adding the switch after the fact should be a piece of cake.

OnA

I see that the Bennett has an optional NMEA 2000 Indicator Kit for your multi-function display, in lieu of the lighted tab position indicator.  Has anyone had any success with this option?