News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Bad dog food - Could harm your dog!

Started by AJFishin, February 24, 2016, 04:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJFishin

I wanted to share some information with dog owners and with people that know someone with dogs.

Our dogs became sick 3 days after we changed over our dogs to Science Diet on the advice of the vet we saw. The worst was one of our dogs died 6 days after changing over. My wife and I are sad, heartbroken and mad.

Science Diet dog food is not a healthy choice in dog food, it can be dangerous to your pets!  People have linked Science Diet in making their pets become weak, sick, and death in some. The amount of time their pets went from being healthy to being sick or even dying, was from days to a year. You can do a simple search and find all of this information online yourself. Science Diet is mainly made with corn and corn filler, hardly anything healthy or natural is in it.

Here are just some of the stuff I recently found online regarding Hills, the maker of Science Diet.
Hills has given vets a kick back on selling their products and is one of the main contributors of money to people going to veterinarian schools, veterinarians, and some dog food testings. This could make sense why Science Diet is plastered all over a vets office.

We took our dog to another vet and we noticed there was not ONE Science Diet ad or product in their office. I asked why? The response from the vet was, "that stuff is not good for animals".
We visited a couple more vet offices that also did not have ANY Science Diet products or ads and we asked why they don't carry Science Diet. Similar responses were given; Science Diet is not healthy for animals and they (vets) noticed declines in pets health after switching over to Science Diet.
The reason for our vet visits is to find a good vet that we can trust.

I've gone online and searched for good healthy dog food and I ended up giving our other dog Natures Balance. So far she loves it and we feel better knowing it's a better dog food. Since switching her over, she is doing great and is no longer sick. We just wish we could say the same for our other dog.

I know there are people that believe in Science Diet, but I just ask to take a look for yourself and be aware.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

rasslingref

Sorry about your loss AJ and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

T-Rex

GMO garbage no doubt....
Thanks for the heads up and sorry about your pet.
Sea Chaser 17, Suzuki DF90A

Shackleton

Thanks for the information and I am sorry for your loss

StreamFixer

Just got a new pup...  Looking hard at Kirkland puppy food.  Seems to be a rebranded quality food.

Thank you for heads up on Science Diet.  I'll ask my vet who carries it prominently on display in the receiving room.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

DSCS

Sorry to hear of your loss AJ.

I would recommend anyone who wants to give their dog a long healthy life do some research into the food you are giving them. Sam, our Husky-Blue Heeler mix has been with us for 16 yrs. He is basically in hospice care with us now but still alert and bright eyed. When he stops getting excited about his morning walk I think it will be the time to say good-bye.

By coincidence my wife asked this morning what Sam would be in human years. Looked at several online apps and charts and for his weight (125#) the average is +/- 100 yrs old.

When we first got him I spent a lot of time researching food. At the time a lot of the food, even so called "premium brands", contained carcinogens, fillers, and other crap. He ate Innova most of his life. It finally became almost impossible to source Innova locally. So the last few years he has been on Nutro Ultra, either Senior or Weight Control. None of it was cheap, but the 16 years of love, laughter, and devotion ... priceless.

Again AJ, sorry about your loss. I hope someone will be able to learn from your tragedy.

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

Arimaway

Really Sorry to hear that.

A lot of dog foods are made in China.   
I have been feeding my Oorang Airedale 4health dog food sold by Tractor Supply since we got her three years ago (she was about a year and a half then, we are her third owners).  Never a problem with the 4Health brand.
But then again, I've see her pass clay flower pots, our love seat, sofa, bottle caps  yada yada.   
Thank goodness she is broken of those habits.
Now she just chases skunks, it'll be another week before we get that smell out of the house. :doh:
1987 Sea Ranger 17.
2016 Mercury 90 Command Thrust 4-STROKE

Kingslayer

Very sad, sorry to hear about this.

When I got Maybea  over 8 years ago, I too went on a hunt for legitimate food, and settled on Taste of the Wild.  Fast forward three years, and I met my lovely lady and her dog Nova, who was eating Pedigree.  I pulled the switcheroo on Nova's food and the effects were immediate - increased energy, shinier coat, less dog breath. 

She also has a cat who had a cancerous tumor (small bump on his neck) removed last year, also on cheap petco type foods.  After the cancer episode we put him on the Taste of the Wild for cats, and again, immediate effects.  Healthy weight gain, energy increase, healthy fur coat, etc.

Again, not cheap at all, but neither are vet bills.  StreamFixer, I'd look carefully at the label on the Kirkland brand foods.  I believe they now have a "natural" option, but idk.

For that matter, the effects on our health when we make the effort to eat healthy, non-processed foods is fairly immediate as well. 
2016 SR HT 21
2015 Yamaha F175
2015 Yamaha T9.9

AJFishin

Thank you for the condolences.

Yesterday our pug came home so she can be laid to rest. With her arrival, it has made us feel happy that she is here, but just in a different form.
We could sense how our other dog is lonely and we are too without having our other dog around the house. I said to my wife, that I would like to wait about a month before getting another dog.
But the other day after a trip to the local animal shelter and seeing the dogs, we ended up adopting a little, what we think, is a Jack Russell/Pug mix. He has been a great comfort to us and our other dog. Plus to know that we were able to rescue a dog from the shelter made us feel great.

I'm glad to see there are people who want to make sure their pets eat a good diet of dog food to help them sustain a long active life. But please read the labels, do a little research, and know that the price of the bag of food is one thing, but to lose a pet suddenly hurts more then the cost of the food.

Sorry if I sound like I'm preaching

---------------------------------------------------

Our German Shepard and Pug

Our new little guy in Superman mode.

Danno

I have had a private conversation with AJ. From the ArimaOwners.com site management I would like to point out that there's no evidence that the Science Diet was the cause of his dog's death. It could very well be pure coincidence. Many in society take the most recent major change in something to blame on an unwanted event. Those on either side of the Global Warming debate use the most recent blizzard or drought to support their view. I could go on listing other examples.

I for one had fed everything around the house to my lab including grapes, chocolate and probably some other things that are bad for dogs yet she continues to whine for food all day long at 16 years old as of March. Following the same analogy, I would state that all food is safe for dogs yet I don't. Each should make their own decisions on these matters and take responsibility for them.

Let's just be supportive of AJ's loss and wish him well with his new pup.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

AJFishin

Quote from: Danno on February 26, 2016, 12:54:29 PM
I have had a private conversation with AJ. From the ArimaOwners.com site management I would like to point out that there's no evidence that the Science Diet was the cause of his dog's death. It could very well be pure coincidence. Many in society take the most recent major change in something to blame on an unwanted event. Those on either side of the Global Warming debate use the most recent blizzard or drought to support their view. I could go on listing other examples.

I for one had fed everything around the house to my lab including grapes, chocolate and probably some other things that are bad for dogs yet she continues to whine for food all day long at 16 years old as of March. Following the same analogy, I would state that all food is safe for dogs yet I don't. Each should make their own decisions on these matters and take responsibility for them.

Let's just be supportive of AJ's loss and wish him well with his new pup.

Thank you Danno.

croaker stroker

Just saw this today...

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Hunter

AJ..... Sheri and I are so sad to hear of your loss.  Those that get it...know, and those that don't get it will never know.   

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Fishgriller

Our hearts go out to you for your loss.  Ira has been 8 years since we suddenly lost our Cocker Spaniel, and that day is still crystal clear in my memory.  Dog food is a daunting task.  I found this website very useful when I was researching dog food for our Great Dane.    Nature's Variety Instinct, Orijen, and Taste of the Wild consistently get good reviews and have worked well for our dogs.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

I tend to stay away from buying dog food from a vet, just to make sure there is no financial incentive issue.  There are several good online dog food supply websites, the selection is great, prices are usually better than local stores and you can set up an automatic schedule for delivery, very convenient. I use Chewy.com, very happy with it.
2018 Sea Chaser 17, 2018 Yamaha F115

AJFishin

Quote from: Hunter on August 05, 2018, 06:39:56 PM
AJ..... Sheri and I are so sad to hear of your loss.  Those that get it...know, and those that don't get it will never know.   

Very true and thanks Hunter. Even though our pug Roxy passed away 2 years ago, I still get a little choked up when I see videos of her.
Fishgriller sorry for your lost too and we ended up choosing Canidae dog food for our dogs.
We have a 8 year German Shepherd dog and since feeding her that food, plus with our newest dog Buddy, both keep her young and active to where you might think she's only 3 years old, plus they both love that food.