News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Arima's anchoring issue

Started by Yachter Yat, February 12, 2016, 06:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishin Machine

It is simple, I wish it was my idea, but Lvrwurst let me see his Arima before he sold his. The roller he had was wider than mine. Either way they both work Let me know if you need more photos. Today I went sturgeon fishing, didn't catch anything but Delta weed. We anchor 6 times and never went to the front of the boat. This anchoring system is easy and I do this outside the cabin. 
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

Yachter Yat

Fishin:

Thanks for the post and pics.  Certainly an interesting alternative to the anchoring issue.  That said, for some reason, I'm a little troubled by that interior cleat; could be a lot of strain on an anchor line in a nasty chop.  :shrug9:  Obviously,  that forward hatch makes that system possible, but I'm still thinking Arima could do well by giving the sliding hatch idea a serious look.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fishin Machine

Yachter I agree with what you said, about the strain. Yesterday the outgoing tide was moving fast along with the wind. I do not anchor in the ocean only in the delta. This is a nice alternative to climbing on top of the bow to drop the anchor or trying to do yoga and fit through the window.  :clap:
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

StreamFixer

Here's the system some of us use on the Columbia as demonstrated by Jeanne (Mrs. Woody).

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=179.msg1280#msg1280

It works well and keeps the lines away from the prop and rear cleats.  (Danno found it)

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

SC19

Back around 2008-9 I asked Belinda if Arima would install a Hatch on my Sea Chaser.   She said they didn't but sent me the part # for a West Marine Cuddy Hatch that would fit the SC19.  Unfortunately  I've lost her email but maybe someone on here did it and can give you the dimensions for ordering.  Or maybe Definance.

Hunter

I love Arimas and think they are the perfect balance for a fiberglass fishing boat.   The two main Arime deficiencies that I personally see are:    1) Anchoring capacity, storage and capability.   2)  Main fuel tank being placed above deck level and all at the stern placing all of that weight at the stern.     

Seems like some simple design changes like a larger anchor storage locker and a midships in-floor fuel tank would be a simple design change that would serve well to improve functionality and positively adjust the overall center of gravity on these already awesome boats.   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

disposable

i believe the 16x16 medium or low profile lewmar hatches fit on the 17 and 19' boats.

i hated walking around having nothing but the bimini in moderate seas. opening the front window to reach through sucked too. some kind of skip/hard top makes a world of difference. all the cool pullies and rollers seem interesting, too, and helm-deploy systems. surely you PNW river mouth chargers have some struggles that are different from mine in rough but deep waters.

i also covet a nice windlass, seen a few cool smaller applications for boats like mine... maybe next year
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

Norcalfish80

I just walk up to the bow of the boat. The trick is being young and physically fit ha ha. Or having friends who are. I do agree it's kind of a pain.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

Yachter Yat

Does anybody recall my "Tether" idea?   IMO, it's the easiest, and simplest, solution. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

85seahunter

I have a Lewmar hatch on my Hunter.  I stand up through the hatch and set anchor.
1985 Arima Sea Hunter - 2020 Honda BF60

DARice

My SC17 spent a lot of its life with prior owners on the Puget Sound. They installed an electric winch in place of the foredeck hatch that stores the rode, chain and anchor. I've only used it a couple of times, including the Columbia, but I have to say, it's fantastic!

Like someone else commented, I don't sit in hog lines...just not my thing even when that's the best fishing; if I did, I'd look for a different solution.

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

Yachter Yat

Kudos to 85seahunter.   I think he's got a great idea.....at least for the Arima Hunters and small Chasers.  My "Tether" though.......Ha

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

85seahunter

Quote from: Yachter Yat on September 18, 2020, 10:00:49 AM
    Kudos to 85seahunter.   I think he's got a great idea.....at least for the Arima Hunters and small Chasers.  My "Tether" though.......Ha

Yat
I have not tried it since I put on this Covid weight though haha.
1985 Arima Sea Hunter - 2020 Honda BF60

Redhawk

Since our windshield is lower than on Arimas I am able to drop and rise anchor just by holding the line up a bit over the centerline and jiggling it to let the anchor down if it is really nasty, otherwise I just clamber up onto the foredeck. We rarely anchor so we have a pin set on our roller and we are unlikely to anchor in nasty conditions. You could try a drum winch maybe?
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke