News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Arima's anchoring issue

Started by Yachter Yat, February 12, 2016, 06:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yachter Yat

After owning a number of boats down through the years, I've pretty much come to conclusion (as I'm sure many of us would agree) Arima is, arguably, one of the best small ocean boats on the market.  This, obviously, is due in large part from the protection offered by their unique raised snout and closed bow design.   Unfortunately, like everything else in life, it seems that for every upside there must be a downside. In this case, it's the difficulty many of us encounter in anchoring.

So, with this in mind, I guess the question becomes......What's the answer?  One potential option that comes to my mind is from a runabout I saw year's ago. I can't remember who made it, but it had a center opening windshield like many runabouts; but moreover, it had a "sliding hatch" on the foredeck, that, when slid forward, allowed a person enough access to the bow to conceivably manipulate the anchor tackle from inside the boat.

The question then is:  Would such a hatch be feasible on an Arima?  Any thoughts?   :shrug9:

Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

fullphase

I am not sure i understand the difficulty anchoring from your Arima are you refering to it being difficult to get to the bow to set and retrieve your anchor?  If so check this video out.....works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnxr9itfVk

Tom Mac

In a Sea Ranger you can open the hatch in the cuddy and stand up to drop the anchor. The rest of the time I just use the method in the video posted by fullphase, works great in deep water.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

BestBoats

I think the best answer is that if a large percentage of your fishing arsenal comes from being a a rope-a-doper get an open bow boat. That makes the most sense to me. I like to troll by all those guys....so I don't ever worry about it. If I liked to sit in hog lines and visit I would get a different boat more conducive to that method.  :twocents:
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Chasin Baitman

Quote from: fullphase on February 12, 2016, 07:09:50 AM
I am not sure i understand the difficulty anchoring from your Arima are you refering to it being difficult to get to the bow to set and retrieve your anchor?  If so check this video out.....works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnxr9itfVk

yeah I use that method and it works great.  takes pretty much all the hard labor out of anchoring, and no need to go to the bow.
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Yachter Yat

I've done something similar to that, but only in shallow water.  That's okay for guys like us, but just thinking access forward would be a lot simpler and more encouraging for the "non-initiated".
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

I'll have to do a search, but I think some of the older Sea Ray or Cruisers, Inc. runabouts may have had that hatch I'm talking about.  BTW, another possible benefit of that hatch would be a little better air movement for those in warmer climates. 
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Tom Mac

The thing I like the best about the set up that fullphase posted is you can get off anchor very quickly and re-anchor up just as quick. The Columbia River guys use a similar set up, 3wt has some good info on that.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Threeweight

Some of us have used a somewhat similar anchoring system for Arima's on the Columbia.  The caveat I'd make to the video is don't ever, ever, ever try to use an anchor puller with the rode attached to the stern of the boat like that in the Columbia, or some other big, high-current body of water.  Not good to get whipped around with the stern facing the current should your main motor die, rope get wrapped into the prop, etc...  I always lifted my "slider" rope above the starboard-side front "shoulder" cleat, so that when the rode slid back on it's clip it would hit the cleat, then I could power forward and pull the anchor safely.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

I have an open bow now, but after lamenting over this same problem on my Skipjack which had a similar problem as you guys with the cuddys, I finally bought a horizontal windless which was controlled from the dash. Just flick a switch to bring the anchor up while motoring forward. The rope was automatically fed down into the cuddly where I built a box to catch the rode.

The windlass switch on the dash had the option to drop the anchor free fall or drop it slowly, using the motor.

One of the best upgrades I did on that boat.

There are all kinds of anchoring situations. Anchoring on the Columbia is different than we encounter down here so this system may not work well for that purpose. But, it sure works well for typical Ocean anchoring.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

Yeah, Croaker, I really like that set-up.  Any bigger Arima than mine and I would be looking to go in that direction.  Threeweight, good advice. I seem to recall reading of cases where boats were swamped from the stern in those strong currents.  I've never been on the Columbia, but I know it has a "reputation"; something like the Merrimack or Piscataqua Rivers up our way. 
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

GregE

ReBait had he full meal deal including windlass.

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Threeweight

Posted in another thread... you don't see many windlasses down here on small boats in the Columbia for a couple of reasons.  One is we are often anchoring in 4-5 mph current, and a windlass with enough power to pull a boat upstream in that is too big to fit in a typical small fishing boat. 

The other is the river bottom is littered with logs, root wads, boulders, etc... and anchors often get stuck.  The big orange buoy's you see on our anchor ropes serve as a pulley of sorts when we "power pull" using the torque of the boat's engine to pull upstream.  It will usually either twist a suck anchor free, or snap the break-away zip ties from the top and yank the bottom of the anchor up and out of our obstructions. 

I've love to be able to use a windlass here.  Would make things much easier (and safer!)

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Qwakwak

Yachter Yat, Sea Ray did have the type of hatch you are talking about. I used to own one.
Since 1958- 15' cracker box, '59 Performer, 18' Fiberform/90 merc, Sanger super jet/454 chev, 17' Seaswirl I/0, 20' Hydrosport/200 mariner, Grand Banks 36, 15' Proline, 19' Sea Ray,18' sloop, whaler/115 yamaha.
Now-1989 Arima Sea Ranger 17/90 merc

E-TEC Pacer

All ya do is get one of these little guys, problem solved. :dance:
17' '05 Pacer
2014 E TEC 90
I'd get rid of my wife before I'd get rid of my
E TEC and I really love my wife.

Yachter Yat

Nice boat Pacer, but, sorry..........I still like the sliding hatch idea. Don't think I could live without the enclosed cuddy. 
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Markshoreline

...and the Pacer design is about as rare as hen's teeth.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

E-TEC Pacer

I guess there's a 19' Pacer too, has scuppers up front too that the 17 doesn't. I'd like to find one. :party:
17' '05 Pacer
2014 E TEC 90
I'd get rid of my wife before I'd get rid of my
E TEC and I really love my wife.

Markshoreline

2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

StreamFixer

Woody did a great post on the river anchors system that works well in our area.  I'll go look for it in the next couple of days if someone doesn't beat me to it.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Yachter Yat

Qwakwak: 

You said you owned a Sea Ray with that sliding hatch.  Could you tell us if that hatch slid far enough forward to facilitate anchoring?  Also, do you recall having any other issues; I mean things such as water leaking or structural issues?    Thanks.

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Salmon King

Quote from: E-TEC Pacer on February 12, 2016, 09:16:44 PM
I guess there's a 19' Pacer too, has scuppers up front too that the 17 doesn't. I'd like to find one. :party:

QuoteAnd apparently a 21 as well.

When I was at the factory (a couple of years before the move to Defiance) they were building a 21 Pacer...
The technician had to ask me to please step away from the hull....
Seemed I was drooling all over the liner and he didn't want to have that extra "clean up".

My word that was an awesome boat!!
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Fishin Machine

I'm not sure what the problem is I anchor all the time without a issue.My anchor ready to go.
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

Fishin Machine

When I get ready to go I set my anchor like this.
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

Fishin Machine

I set the rope through the hatch and tie it off on a cleat that I installed by the driver side inside the door. I never have to climb on the bow. 
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger