News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Unusual Catch

Started by croaker stroker, January 30, 2011, 12:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

While fishing in the San Diego Bass Tournament, I caught two "Mantis Shrimp".  For those of you who have never come across one, Beware !  They have the nickname "thumb splitters", and many unwary fishermen have experienced the unfortunate results of a trip to the hospital for stitches due to the gashes in their hands caused by this mean little creature.

I have fished these local waters since I was a kid, and have only caught one Manta Shrimp in my life, so catching two is highly unlikely. The one that I caught years ago put a chip in my fiberglass gel coat when it came in contact with the hull of my boat. So I was immediately made aware of the nasty nature of these little guys.

I brought them home and cooked and ate them.  The meat is something like crab and nothing like shrimp.  

I took a pretty good photo of the armament that gives this critter its reputation. If you look closely in this photo, you can see the inside edge of the "weapon".  If you run your finger across it, it feels like a very sharp knife or razor blade. Then the point is like a needle and there are little "teeth" on the oppisite side that hold it's prey while it is being sliced open. The "knife blade" folds closed like a pocket knife to protect the sharpened edge.

These blades flash out and strike so violently and quickly that if you are close enough to provoke an attack, a nasty wound is almost certain.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Keel-er

Croaker Stroker,
I grew up in Seal Beach and fished San Pedro to San Diego and caught a lot of crazy stuff at different times but those shrimp are a new one to me.  I thought that they are tropical so it would make sense to find them if it was an El Nino year and the Mexican waters were pushing up.  We'd get into Dorado, Yellow-Fin and other southern fish on those years.  However, this is supposed to be a La Nina year so.....?
You are definitely right about those shrimp's reputation.  I have talked to a few salt-water aquarium enthusiasts who got on the wrong end of those shrimp while cleaning a tank.  Did not know they could do damage to gel coat, though.  Looking at them head-on kind of reminds me of that creature in the move "Predator". 
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

GoodDays

Cool Looking Crustaceans....Cant really see that paper you are holding...Send it up here so I can get a closer look !!! 

GoodDays Greg

StreamFixer

Sure glad those dudes live in your end of the world and not mine.  As far as that paper sample goes, send it to me first so I can be sure it is safe to export to GoodDays.   :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

Sorry, I'll be needing that to pay for the 6 gallons of gas I used for two days fishing in San Diego. (Notice I didn't hold it too close to the pets.)

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Sorry Croaker

Ain't buying that one,  $8+ per gallon, for two lousy shrimp that taste like crab no less   :doh:  I'm not near as dumb as I look, no matter what Woody says.  I just have to learn to quit paying him for lottery numbers.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Et Tu Brute'

(in reference to your shrimp)   :jester:

SF
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸