News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Looking into radar

Started by need2bleed, January 10, 2016, 06:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BestBoats

Great products! IMO buy the biggest screen you can afford. If you know how to use an iPad/iPhone get the touch screen if you can afford it...it's a lot quicker to navigate! That being said I would get the 10" button over the 8" touch screen if I had to choose based on cost. With radar and overlay bigger is better! The wireless network on the Garmin works great!  :twocents:
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Rjr812

Does anyone have any experience and/or feedback or opinion on the Lowrance 4G broadband radar units?
Arima 22' Sea Legend 2005 w/ 250 hp Etec - 2006, Yamaha 9.9
🇺🇸 Dutch 142

(509) 430-2367  cell
(360) 406-1578. cell when fishing

Threeweight

I looked into the Furuno wireless radar, and I was wrong... it will run using an Ipad as the only head unit.

The downside is the reviews are not favorable on how well it performs:

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2014/10/furuno_drs4w_1st_watch_wifi_radar_niche_or_breakthrough_product.html
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Wyrguy

Quote from: Threeweight on February 14, 2016, 12:16:40 PM
I looked into the Furuno wireless radar, and I was wrong... it will run using an Ipad as the only head unit.

The downside is the reviews are not favorable on how well it performs:

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2014/10/furuno_drs4w_1st_watch_wifi_radar_niche_or_breakthrough_product.html

That's a great review/article Steve, but I'm still gonna stick with my tried and true magnatron Raymarine HD though...

Here's another article overview (light on 'nuts and bolts') for anyone undecided about what size/power/type of radar to get:

http://www.boats.com/reviews/choosing-the-right-radar/

Wyrguy Rick

Sent from my iPad grudgingly using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

Threeweight

I don't think the review was too favorable for the Furuno.  Last thing you want is your Ipad going to sleep during a nasty bar crossing, and trying to restart the radar while driving in the fog in 4-5' breaking waves!

Magnetron/open array styles will always have more range.  But the Simrad/Lowrance solid state "phased array" units, and the new Raymarine Quantum, are pretty compelling for small boats.  1/3 to 1/4 the power draw of a magnetron/open array style, higher definition at close to medium range, no delay in starting. and no high power microwave bursts pointed at anyone's head.  It's the direction the US military seems to be going as well.

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2016/01/raymarine_quantum_solid-state_chirp_pulse_compression_radar_in_radome_form.html

One of the big benefits I see with this technology is the ability to leave it on all the time without sucking too much juice, or cooking someone's eyeballs who walks in front of the dome.  I'm a radar novice, but what I've heard consistently from experienced skippers is you need lots of practice using it in good weather so you can learn to interpret what it is showing you, before relying on it in nasty weather.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Rjr812

Thanks guys.  I appreciate the feedback.
Arima 22' Sea Legend 2005 w/ 250 hp Etec - 2006, Yamaha 9.9
🇺🇸 Dutch 142

(509) 430-2367  cell
(360) 406-1578. cell when fishing