News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Looking into radar

Started by need2bleed, January 10, 2016, 06:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

need2bleed

I am looking around for my first radar setup. As I will be mostly using it for safety I have decided a nice 4kw dome looks to suit my needs well. I have a humminbird that is capable of radar but I think I would rather have 2 units running than trying to swap screens and drive. Or at least I don't think I am out of mind thinking that  :shrug9:  also very little is said about their radar and just the head is as expensive as a whole Garmin set up. That being said I have seen several good reviews on the garmin 18hd unit. I would love to hear some opinions from those of us who fish the same waters and the same boats. Anyone have any good suggestions or recommendations on what works best for our tuna needs??  :1zhelp: :bowdown:
Fishing is therapy for work, Catching is a life time of memories.

2004 Legend HT w/ 225 Honda & 9.9 Honda
Named the "2nd Answered Prayer"

ATGEP

My boat came with a Garmin Chartplotter with radar. It is wonderful being able to overlay radar on top of charts. It is my first boat radar but  the Garmin works very well for the size and is stupid easy to use. Whatever you choose, use it all the time and get proficient when you don't need it so you can confidently use it when you do need it.

Markshoreline

I have the Garmin xhd18 and it is great and easy to use. We commute by boat in all weather conditions and it always locates other boats?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Tunacious

croaker stroker

I have needed my radar three times in four years. The last time I tried to use it, it wouldn't work. Luckily the last time the fog was not too thick to navigate safely.

Stuff goes bad if you don't use it. I play Racquetball so I don't wind up like my radar.  :shark:

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

need2bleed

Thanks for the replys, that helps put things in perspective. I am still having a hard time biting off 2000$ for something I dont (need) but part of me looks at it like a luxury and the other like a life jacket. I have never had one or been around one but I have been there when we wanted one....

croaker stroker

Peace of mind. 

I felt very safe driving around with my inoperative radar.   :jester: :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

BestBoats

If your running offshore out of Tillamook and Astoria...I think your wise to invest in a good unit for you and your families safety. You will find yourself in pea soup if you go out much...no question. Imo having overlay on a good size screen is the best. I am running a 10" Garmin screen with their 24" HD raydome. So far it has performed great! It's sure a good feeling to know what's around you when crossing a bar with 10' of visibility...that makes the price tag seem real cheap!
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

BestBoats

PS...for what it's worth....I did pick up bird flocks on my unit this year while Tuna fishing.
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

First Cabin

Quote from: need2bleed on January 13, 2016, 12:11:17 PM
Thanks for the replys, that helps put things in perspective. I am still having a hard time biting off 2000$ for something I dont (need) but part of me looks at it like a luxury and the other like a life jacket. I have never had one or been around one but I have been there when we wanted one....

In the couple years we've had the Garmin 18xhd on our boat, we've only really needed it a couple of times and even then, we probably wouldn't have been in the situation if we didn't have radar available.  All that said, it's FANTASTIC.  What a comfort in the fog!  Use it once and it feels worth it.  No regrets, that's for sure.  Coming through a fogged in Tillamook bar....priceless.

I run it on a 10" screen.  I've run it on an 8" screen and it's okay, but a 7" screen is marginal IMHO, especially if you have to split the screen.

Though I love my Garmin, I'd fully support having a stand alone Furuno 1715.  Great little unit, great price, bulletproof, fire it up when you need it.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

need2bleed

When I was looking I ran across the wireless set up, at first I just glanced over it. Now that I go back and actually look into it. I don't think its a bad idea. I am no tecky guru for sure. But it seems simple and I don't have to permantly mount a screen anywhere. I do have an iPad and phone, so do my friends. Not a bad feature, no wires except power. Completely sealed and no holes in the cab!!! Not a bad price either at 1300$ for a 4kw dome. For as much as I would need to use it this seems like a fair deal. Thanks for making me look agian CS.

Yachter Yat

What about Raymarine?   
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

need2bleed

With raymarine its wireless to the screen, then the screen transmits a wireless signal to what ever device you want.  They are close but you still have to have a mounted screen in the boat. That's one I looked at but just skimmed over. The furuno one I hadn't seen before, and the more I think about it the more I like it.  :shrug9:

Threeweight

Think about using your phone or an Ipad in a nasty bar crossing, while trying to drive the boat and not get turned sideways, while trying to dodge other boats.

I would want a permanently mounted, waterproof, marine unit.  :twocents:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

BestBoats

Quote from: Threeweight on January 14, 2016, 02:55:47 PM
Think about using your phone or an Ipad in a nasty bar crossing, while trying to drive the boat and not get turned sideways, while trying to dodge other boats.

Agreed
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

need2bleed

I agree as well, I would not want an I pad to keep track of while trying to drive the boat. I would have to mount it some how to be useful in any case. I am still working on that now that I am home and can go sit in boat I will continue to think on the matter. Btw with 3 kids the first purchase for the iPad was a nice water resistant case, and under the hard top it should be safe enough.  :shrug9: still working it out in my head.

croaker stroker

Quote from: Threeweight on January 14, 2016, 02:55:47 PM

Looks like the display could be mounted but removable. (Ram mount)

Would be nice if you were sleeping below at anchor with the anchor alarm set. Then you would not have to jump up in the night to check if your anchor pulled out when the tide changed....or you could just check your phone.

The price is also nice.   :wink:

There is a "Marine Radar Simulator" app in the Apple App Store. (Search "DRS4W")

I like it.   :clap:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

need2bleed

After much thought, speculation, reviews, questions and just standing there playing with the instruments I finally decided.  I am going to go with a new garmin 840xs screen with a 18xhd radar. I can't beat the set up. I haven't ordered it yet, I need to sell my freezer first. I may yet go with the 1040xs if I can get a good price. Only difference is 8-10in screen. I found I didn't like the touch screens as much, but I think that's just personal preference. Also we were talking about having it on the iPad. Well guess what garmin does just that I can lay in the cuddy and watch and control the garmin from my iPad. I only just recently found that out, but I thought a nice feature. I really wanted to thank you all for the great input it means allot to me. I will follow up with a review when it's installed.

Markshoreline

Good luck with it and be sure to post pics here of your new system. 

Your freezer ad is locked- does that mean you sold it?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Raghorn

Does anyone have the Furano 1st watch wireless radar setup on their boats?  I am very interested and the price is certainly right.  Just wondering if there is any feedback from someone using the system.  I was thinking I would need to wait another year before I could install radar due to $$$, but the price may make this season realistic as I wouldn't have to purchase a new chartplotter.

need2bleed

Raghorn, I looked at these and everyone I talked to said don't do it. The idea sounds great until you realize it is nothing but a radar and you would still have to mount the iPad somewhere for driving. There is no over  lay screens and I would have to find a way to keep my iPad dry, charged plus if you update it, the radar may not update and could be useless for a bit till an update happens for the app. I am not saying it doesn't work, but that's just some of the points that were brought up to me while looking. No one had anything good to say about it. That's why I chose the garmin the price is not that bad for what you get. Plus it connects to your iPad, which was cool to play with, because you can control your chart plotter with it and do custom routes that automatically enter into the garmin. One other thing I thought might be neat was now I would have 2 screens, so if need be I can have one person watching radar while I drive. Just my 2cents on it anyway.

Raghorn

Thanks, good info.  I  had talked to two different dealers and they said they have sold lots of these with positive reviews.  However, I am always suspicious of the sales pitch and was hoping someone could collaborate what the dealers are saying.  I will hold off for now and thanks for the info.

Threeweight

Raymarine just rolled out their "Quantum" solid state CHIRP radar.  Less hazardous than older open-array styles, less power  consumption, higher detail, and wireless (other than the power cable).  I am contemplating it for my new boat:

http://www.anchorexpress.com/Raymarine-Quantum-Q24C-Radome-with-Wi-Fi-Ethernet-10M-Power-Cable-Included-E70210

Wireless means they connect without a network cable to a head unit.  It doesn't mean you can skip buying a head unit and just display radar on your Ipad.  You can display whatever the head unit is displaying on your Ipad, but you still have to buy the appropriate Furuno or Raymarine unit.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

First Cabin

Quote from: need2bleed on February 09, 2016, 09:32:58 PM
After much thought, speculation, reviews, questions and just standing there playing with the instruments I finally decided.  I am going to go with a new garmin 840xs screen with a 18xhd radar. I can't beat the set up. I haven't ordered it yet, I need to sell my freezer first. I may yet go with the 1040xs if I can get a good price. Only difference is 8-10in screen. I found I didn't like the touch screens as much, but I think that's just personal preference. Also we were talking about having it on the iPad. Well guess what garmin does just that I can lay in the cuddy and watch and control the garmin from my iPad. I only just recently found that out, but I thought a nice feature. I really wanted to thank you all for the great input it means allot to me. I will follow up with a review when it's installed.

We have the 840xs networked with the 1040xs and 18xhd radar.  No regrets.  If you are in the Portland area and want to go for a ride to look them over, just say the word.  We can go map some cargo ships!
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8