News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

$!@#$%! Neah Bay! Who wants to Halibut fish Westport May 1st?

Started by wedocq, January 04, 2016, 10:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

Just skimmed through Eastsides post...  saw an 's' instead of a 'b'.  Thought I was going to have do some editing..  Horrible mental image...

Sure glad I was in error... :redface:

StreamFixer

P.S.  Note to self, read more carefully --- go away image---
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

wedocq

Quote from: PNW Pride on January 16, 2016, 05:46:07 PM
Shawn's hole is hard to get to, also it's really deep and wide.

Yup! My hole is 700' deep, and runs about 1/2 mile long. And you are right, not easy to get to, it's a good 35 plus miles straight out. That is why I want to explore up north!
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Keel-er

Shawn,
Is there structure closer in for getting lings, rock bass and other non-halis?
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

wedocq

You can fish the sunken Jetty right on the bar for bottom fish. You can start hitting some structure up north at around 15 miles.

BayWolf

I'm not 100% sure on the range of my boat with the Honda 90 carbed.  I guess the rule of thumb is 1/3 out, 1/3 back and a 1/3 for safety.  Not thinking a 35 mile run out and fishing all day would be wise for us???
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

rasslingref

Baywolf we are in the same situation. I'm throwing in a couple of 5 gallon containers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Keel-er

I think most (all?) of us are betting/hoping for success on the 15 mile north hole.
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

BayWolf

So, there IS a hole 15 miles north? Or, are we hoping there is? Being a total Butt noob, I would not even know what to look for. So running 15 miles in any direction would all look the same to me.  I'm all in for a cooler of black sea bass and a couple lings too!

First Sergeant

GregE

Perry don't look for details on line.  Folks are very careful with their spots
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Flying Arima

Quote from: GregE on January 21, 2016, 09:22:41 PM
Perry don't look for details on line.  Folks are very careful with their spots

:jester: Yep highly guarded / my suggestion would be to get a good map and draw fish where you want them to be and then go out and find them.  Westport is a lot of fun and there's always something new to learn its a big ocean you will always have a new spot to try and fish.
James

2015 19ft sea chaser / REEL TYME
2015 yamaha 115

HemiGTX

Eastside's advice is right on the mark. 

I approach fishing just like combat.  The enemy is not evenly distributed throughout the battle space, so we have to focus our efforts in order to find and kill him.  We have to know our enemy.  His operational and logistical requirements, his SOPs, his habits and tendencies. 

I use a wide range of intel products to assist my operational planning.  Open source products to include books, magazines, internet.  Meteorological and astronomical data.  Previous patrol/intel reports.  Maps and geo-spatial products.

I use all of this to determine his most likely course of action and critical vulnerability.

I can then conduct a map reconnaissance to identify likely enemy staging areas, attack or ambush locations, and the routes he will use to conduct his movements.  Of these, I select my primary objective.  If possible, I identify alternate objective areas nearby.   

I then assess the logistical assets at my disposal.  Do I have the ability to successfully move to the objective area, conduct my operation, and execute the retrograde movement?  How much time do I have for actions on the objective?  How will current meteorological/astronomical conditions affect my operation?  What is my 'no-go' Criteria?

What special equipment and/or weapons is required to execute my mission? 

Prior to stepping off I ensure that everyone receives the Operations Order and knows their role in it.  I verify that my (redundant) comms are working, all weapons are cleaned and then test-fired. That I have plenty of spare ammo.  My KaBar is razor sharp.  That all equipment is accounted for, properly stowed, and ready for immediate deployment.  Last thing is to make one last head call, and indulge in your personal good luck ritual.

When I get to the objective I attack with ruthless efficiency.  I attempt to take the enemy by surprise and hit him with everything I've got. 

If my intel and planning was good, I accomplish my mission and execute the withdrawal plan.  When I return to base I debrief the operation and then clean my weapons, gear, and vehicles.  Draw more ammo, re-fuel the vehicles, and organize my gear.  Then it's time to immediately begin the next planning cycle.

Oh, and chow is continuous!

AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

BayWolf

Quote from: HemiGTX on January 22, 2016, 09:59:25 AM

I approach fishing just like combat.  The enemy is not evenly distributed throughout the battle space, so we have to focus our efforts in order to find and kill him.  We have to know our enemy.  His operational and logistical requirements, his SOPs, his habits and tendencies. 

I use a wide range of intel products to assist my operational planning.  Open source products to include books, magazines, internet.  Meteorological and astronomical data.  Previous patrol/intel reports.  Maps and geo-spatial products.

I use all of this to determine his most likely course of action and critical vulnerability.

I can then conduct a map reconnaissance to identify likely enemy staging areas, attack or ambush locations, and the routes he will use to conduct his movements.  Of these, I select my primary objective.  If possible, I identify alternate objective areas nearby.   

I then assess the logistical assets at my disposal.  Do I have the ability to successfully move to the objective area, conduct my operation, and execute the retrograde movement?  How much time do I have for actions on the objective?  How will current meteorological/astronomical conditions affect my operation?  What is my 'no-go' Criteria?

Prior to stepping off I ensure that everyone receives the Operations Order and knows their role in it.  I verify that my (redundant) comms are working, all weapons are cleaned and then test-fired. That I have plenty of spare ammo.  My KaBar is razor sharp.  That all equipment is accounted for, properly stowed, and ready for immediate deployment.  Last thing is to make one last head call, and indulge in your personal good luck ritual.

When I get to the objective I attack with ruthless efficiency.  I attempt to take the enemy by surprise and hit him with everything I've got. 

If my intel and planning was good, I accomplish my mission and execute the withdrawal plan.  When I return to base I debrief the operation and then clean my weapons, gear, and vehicles.  Draw more ammo, re-fuel the vehicles, and organize my gear.  Then it's time to immediately begin the next planning cycle.

Plan A:  Follow that guy...  :whistle: :biggrin:

First Sergeant

GregE

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Wyrguy

Quote from: HemiGTX on January 22, 2016, 09:59:25 AM

WOW...!
And I thought I was really 'well prepared' if I'd checked that my alarm clock was set, lunch already made and had gassed up the boat the night before...

Wyrguy Rick

Sent from my iPad grudgingly using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

HemiGTX

Rick,  I bet everyone does something similar.  I just wrote it down  :wink:

rasslingref

I'm kind of like Mark. Got gas, boys, call Shawn and see if he has enough gear and bait for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

wedocq

Change of plans, I am following HemiGTX!  Haha! :biggrin:

HemiGTX

Wait a minute!!  wedocq, please re-read the part about using prior patrol/intel reports.  That's where you come in!   :bowdown:

Kimbrey

For your research I highly recommend these. http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/bathymetry/maps/area4.html
Bathymetric maps on paper.
I don't have the internet speed here on the boat in AK to be able to click on which map for you guys to get but I'm sure you can click and choose which map number would work for the area you fish.  I have several that I think covers from below Westport all the way up to Flattery.  They show depth, some structure and bottom type (gravel, mud, sand et cetera).  I've tried to suggest these maps to people but a lot of times I just get the answer that they have all the information on their plotters.  I find our plotters tedious at best and I have the good details chip in mine.  There is nothing like laying a paper Bathymetric map out on a table and going over it for new areas.

Pick the map #'s you want and if you live in Seattle stop by Captains Nautical.  If they don't have the map or nautical chart that you want in stock they have a "print on demand" printer and will print it for you.  Great store.  They may have or will soon move into Ballard.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Kimbrey

2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

StreamFixer

As usual secrecy once again prevails.  HemiGTX somehow failed to mention his real secret intelligence sources. 

It seems he met a witch doctor while on one of his deployments.  The W - Dr. taught him the secrets of reading cast bones and fresh chicken innards.  I have it on good authority those two skills play a very important part in his fishing intelligence conjugations.

If he won't share those secrets with you, you may as well just stay at the docks...   :whistle:

STreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

beancounter

Hemi I like the way you talk. Git er done killem up and all that stuff  :yeahthat:

wedocq

I know there are some good holes up north fairly close to the beach, I just haven't found them yet. If anyone wants to join us for some fun exploring the North near-shore area, LETS DO IT! I am pretty sure I will find us some Seabass and Lingcod. Halibut will be no guarantee. :biggrin:

-Shawn
[/quote]

Ok so I am quoting myself here from the opening post. I have no GPS #s for up north. We will be totally exploring.
-Shawn

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: wedocq on January 22, 2016, 07:13:23 PM
I know there are some good holes up north fairly close to the beach, I just haven't found them yet. If anyone wants to join us for some fun exploring the North near-shore area, LETS DO IT! I am pretty sure I will find us some Seabass and Lingcod. Halibut will be no guarantee. :biggrin:

-Shawn

Ok so I am quoting myself here from the opening post. I have no GPS #s for up north. We will be totally exploring.
-Shawn
[/quote]

I am sure Mark and I will be up for it.

John
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

BayWolf

First Sergeant