News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Navionics charts

Started by billsarima, September 13, 2011, 07:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billsarima

Anyone using the Navionics cards with their Lowrance Hds units?  I'm thinking about getting the Puget Sound chart for the HDS 5.
High Hopes a 1987 Sea Chaser 17', Honda 8hp and 90 vtec, with scotty 1106's, Lowrance HDS5

Vancouvertechie

I would highly recommend it.  I know 3wt has one, and in my old setup it was very nice.   The Raymarine has a nice 3D option too with the Platinum cards.

Here is the shot of the Camas/Washougal ramp.

http://www.raymarine.com/ImageGalleryWin.aspx?type=Product&site=1&section=2&page=1863&product=4203&file=865

2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

billsarima

Wow!! Nice!  Really like the graphic!!
High Hopes a 1987 Sea Chaser 17', Honda 8hp and 90 vtec, with scotty 1106's, Lowrance HDS5

Grizzle

Today is your lucky day!  Here is a piece of info I so wish I had before I bought my Puget Sound Platnium Plus 639P+

The Navionics 913P+ covers Vancouver island, British Columbia, AND the Puget Sound.  Same price as the 638p, its a way better value.

Now I own two chart chips that cover the Puget Sound, at least I have two HDS units so I have a chip for both.
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

billsarima

Grizzle

Depending on the age of your HDS you may need to upgrade the firmware.  Current SD Navionics cards come in a micro SD format which the older firmware cannot read correctly.
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

billsarima

Threeweight

I have the Lowrance HDS "Nautic Path" version, with a Navionics chip for the OR/WA coast + Columbia River and tribs.   Best of all possible worlds, I think, if you are going Lowrance.  The Nautic Path is built in maps for all of the Coastal US, and is pretty decent.  And you can use it in combination with a Navionics chip for your home fishing grounds (it has better bottom contour detail).  You can switch back and forth in the software of the unit.

Re: the firmware for Lowrance, they put out software updates periodically that add features, fix bugs, etc...  Even if you have a new one, good to keep it updated with the latest version. 

Be advised that Navionics no longer bundles their "Fish N Chips" charts w/ their standard "Platinum" maps, it is a separate purchase.  This is the crazy high detail bottom contour maps.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

GregE

Always helpful info here!!  I bought a blue water chip for my Garmin 525 thinking it would fix my problem but it actually only needed a firm ware update.

I have an 2003 Lowrance 104  that covers Olympia north but doesn't cover me if I go SW of Westport.   I'd like to go past Vancouver Island inland passage to SE AK and maybe the up west side of Vancouver up to Uclet region.  any recommendations?
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Threeweight

I researched this a bit.

The lower-grade Lowrance and Garmin chips (gold on Lowrance, not sure what my Garmin hand-held's chip is called) will give you basic detail for both the NW USA, BC, and Alaska.  But for the detailed maps, you would need at least two separate chips from either manufacturer to cover both areas.

The Nautic Insight software on my HDS covers the Canadian side of the Straight of Juan DeFuca, but skips the bulk of Vancouver Island and the Queen Charlottes, then picks up again in Alaska.  I'm sure there is probably a Canadian version that covers their coast but not the US  :doh:

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

tubbs

Quote from: Threeweight on September 14, 2011, 03:36:22 PM
I researched this a bit.

The lower-grade Lowrance and Garmin chips (gold on Lowrance, not sure what my Garmin hand-held's chip is called) will give you basic detail for both the NW USA, BC, and Alaska.  But for the detailed maps, you would need at least two separate chips from either manufacturer to cover both areas.

The Nautic Insight software on my HDS covers the Canadian side of the Straight of Juan DeFuca, but skips the bulk of Vancouver Island and the Queen Charlottes, then picks up again in Alaska.  I'm sure there is probably a Canadian version that covers their coast but not the US  :doh:

Is yours the preloaded insight maps or do you have the extended base map and purchase the insight maps?  Is there a difference between the preloaded and purchased maps?  How do they compare to the navionics maps?
86 17 Arima SR
Suzuki DF90A

Threeweight

I have the pre-loaded Insight maps built into the unit.  Was about $75 more than the basic model when I bought mine.  Lowrance bundles the software+transducers for either fresh or saltwater (mines salt, came with the 50/200 mhz ducer).  The maps it produces are pretty good, as good or better than the Navionics "Gold" chips and the the basic Garmin chips (I have one of these on my hand held).  Only issues with it is the 3d function is lost when you zoom in very tight, and it does not show topo lines with very high detail (the basic Garmin chip is actually excellent for this).  It does have excellent detail on navigation hazards, marinas, etc...

Here are a couple of screenshots off it showing the Nautic software... both are of Dungeness spit and bank, one in 3d mode the other in 2d.  This area is 350' or so max

The Navionic's "Platinum" chip certainly has more detail.  It also has the 3d function, but holds it down to tighter zooms and shows more bottom detail.  It also lets you pan the "camera" and get a more directional view of what you are looking at.  Here's a shot of the Columbia River near Portland, using it.  Note this area is maybe 55' deep max... the detail is pretty good.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

tubbs

Is the preloaded the same as the nautic insight that can be purchased separately?
86 17 Arima SR
Suzuki DF90A

Threeweight

That I don't know... Channel Cat/Tony might.  I had a Nautic Insight a few years back for an older Eagle chartplotter, circa 2007 or so.  That older chip did not come anywhere close to the detail of the built-in maps on my HDS>

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Channel Cat

Do not confuse the" Nautic Insight" that comes built into some units, with the" NauticPath" chip put out by LEI back in 04. They are a different animal. The Nautic Insight that comes built into select HDS units, covers Marine waters for the entire US. The Nautic Insight chip covers only the region purchased ie; West coast, East etc..., but does show detail for the Lakes, within 75 mi, of the coast line.  Sound weird but, but very well thought out.
Team Arima
"07" 19'SR, 115 HP E-TEC, 9.9 Johnson 4 stk.

billsarima

So is the better chip navionics or nautic Path?

Threeweight

Navionics.

The Nautic Insight charts on the HDS units are a good backup/basic charts for places you occasionally fish, but I'd still get Navionics to cover your home waters.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

tubbs

Since I got the hds 5 with base map I am going to try the insight maps.  About the only info I can seem to find on them but it does say 4 times better detail than preloaded insight maps.  Not sure what that means but for just over 100 it covers marine areas and lakes.

From navico you can get it for 99.00 plus shipping.
http://www.lei-extras.com/store/search.asp?SearchType=Unit&Unit=HDS%2D5#Mapping

Nautic Insight™ HD U.S. West Coast Digital Map
Covers California to Washington & Hawaii
4 Times the Detail of Built-in HDS Insight Maps
High-detail Inshore / Offshore Contour Lines
8 More Zoom Levels of Shaded Relief Data
Exclusive Fishing Hot Spots® Covered
Large Free Space to Save Sonar & Navigation Data
High-resolution Shaded Relief Viewing
- 8 m/pixel Resolution Up to Canyons
- 32 m/pixel Beyond Canyons Detail
User-selectable Depth Contour Lines On / Off
Expansive Marine Charting Plus Inland Lakes Coverage
Accurate Vavaids & Information
Tides & Currents Displays

86 17 Arima SR
Suzuki DF90A

billsarima

Tubbs...
Keep me posted on your insight chip.  I found a Navionics chip I'm going to try.  I'll let you know how it works out.

billsarima

Grizzle thanks I purchased a Navionics 913p card.  I should get it this week.  I appreciate the info..
                                                              Bill