News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Halibut reel - cordless drill adapter

Started by Threeweight, December 10, 2015, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemiGTX

Those reels look good.  I can see how the reel wobble would be somewhat annoying on bait checks, but I've got to think that the large handle is worth the trouble when you're reeling up a halibut. 

I built up a penn 349 Super Mariner (it's basically a very narrow 6/0H high speed Senator) with a 5+1 carbontex drag and I think it may be a good option for the halibut.  It should hold around 550-600 yds of 65 lb braid with 25 lbs of drag.  It has a 3.25:1 ratio, more compact and lighter weight than a 6/0 Senator and the narrow spool should resist torquing/deflection.  At least, that's the theory. 

I just bought another one off ebay.  If they don't work, I can always fall back on the 345 GT2s.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

StreamFixer

Picked up a Senator 6/0, full load of what looks to be about 80# dacron line, no corrosion or marks on the reel for $39 plus Orange County sales tax.  It has the big (what I call a winch) handle on it too...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

HemiGTX

SF, very nice score.  Those 6/0s are really nice reels.  Very manly, especially with the winch handle.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Threeweight

The problem with the really giant reels is how much they tire you out from a day of jigging with them, just from the weight.  I only use my big giant 345 at Halibut Hill out of Tillamook here (800-900' fishing).   That's the spot where I really want the cordless drill... bait checks are just brutal there.   :doh:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

StreamFixer

My halibut rod holder is the factory holder in the sponson. 

Bait up, drop rigging to bottom and put rod in the holder. 

When time to retrieve (bait check or fish on) I reel when the boat is dropping on the back side of the swell. 

Not the fastest method, but gets the job done...  arms and back don't hurt at the end of the day..   :biggrin:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Flying Arima

So my question is if I have 18v cordless and I add a cord with a Scotty plug will this work?
James

2015 19ft sea chaser / REEL TYME
2015 yamaha 115

Wyrguy

Quote from: Eastsidedrift on January 16, 2016, 01:49:43 PM
So my question is if I have 18v cordless and I add a cord with a Scotty plug will this work?

Not very well... [emoji16]

Wyrguy Rick

Sent from my iPad grudgingly using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

Flying Arima

Ok thanks Rick I guess I will have to order a 12v off eBay.
James

2015 yamaha 115

Threeweight

Hmm, I tried a Goodwill bought 18 volt drill motor wired to a 12 volt connector.  Worked fine... slower revolution speed, but still much faster than I can reel  :shrug9:

I suspect under a heavy load a 12 volt boat battery will hold it's voltage much better than the dinky 18 volt nicad batteries used in the drills.  Actual drill speed will be similar between wiring to a scotty plug or running off the nicad packs when there's significant resistance to the drill.

I believe this is what VT and MarkShorline did last year at Neah.  Worked great.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Markshoreline

Yep- 12v cordless drills hardwired to a Scotty plug into the Downrigger inlet.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Flying Arima

Thanks guys I just ordered a 12v drill off eBay and 2 of the drill adapters.
James

2015 yamaha 115

Markshoreline

They are also available at Goodwill type stores for around $10.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Zarn

If anyone is interested a fishing "buddy" of mine saw this adapter nut at Harry's in Newport. He had about 8 of them in a clear plastic box under the glass counter, $21.00 each. Jeepers...! And he did not even think of me for my birthday... either. He might just be pay'in to run for tuna this year... :wink:

Quote from: Threeweight on December 10, 2015, 10:26:15 PM
Last year around Neah Bay time there was some discussion of electric reels and crank adapters to allow the use of cordless drills to assist with bait checks.  Being a cheap bastard unwilling to spend $550 on a Daiwa electric reel, I searched all over Portland for hardware that would fit the crank shaft of my Penn 330's and 345, but had no luck. 

Broke down tonight and ordered two of the stainless crank adapters from the Electramate folks (link below).  $20 a pop is excessive for a glorified bolt, but alternatives are limited.  The pair + shipping came out to $50.  Will report back on them once I get them. 

http://elec-tra-mate.com/store/store.php?crn=229&rn=468&action=show_detail

I plan on hitting Goodwill for some old 12 volt drill motors, then I want to hack them to run them off a Scotty downrigger plug.
SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.