News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Interest in trading a Arima for a Tolman Alaskan skiff with cabin and pilothouse

Started by amazing grace, December 07, 2015, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazing grace

1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Salmon King

AG...
What is this Tolman you are talkng about?
Must be something special...
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

amazing grace

1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Markshoreline

AG I like those boats- kind of a Arima CDory Nexus blend, and they are reported have great performance with minimal horsepower, though never rode in one.
I saw one on Seattle Craig'slist not long ago.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Salmon King

2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

HemiGTX

Intriguing.  If I didn't already have a lifetime of projects already, it would be very interesting to build one of those.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

amazing grace

Yes Mark, you are exactly correct on your explanation. They are big in Alaska and now in the lower 48 as well. Originally built as open skiffs but not have evolved in to full blown pilothouse boats.   
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Markshoreline

The boatbuilders in Port Townsend seem to make those... Keep watching over here.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

amazing grace

I actually acquired one Mark, but am thinking I would prefer a bigger Arima. While these boats have some exceptional qualities, a glass boat (arima/C-Dory) would be better for me.
Having decided that, a wooden boat is something that is hard to describe. Especially for someone who has a passion for them. Those that build them, absolutely love them. Mine is a gorgeous boat.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Salmon King

2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

HemiGTX

AG, what's the length and beam of your Alaskan?  How big is the deck? 

AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Arimaway

1987 Sea Ranger 17.
2016 Mercury 90 Command Thrust 4-STROKE

Full-Pull

I've always really liked the Tolman Skiff design, particularly pilothouse versions.
Back in the '90s, a good friend worked for System Three Resins in Ballard; we gave some very serious thought to building one.
And one of my current co-workers built & owns an open Tolman.

Renn Tolman passed away in July, '14; by all accounts he was a pretty cool guy, very encouraging and generous with information and advice.
There are a handful of shops building various versions of the Tolman Skiff commercially.

I'm also interested in seeing some pics of the boat at issue, AG. Did you build it personally?

'91 Sea Ranger 19HT
'05 Merc 115 EFI FourStroke - Main
'90s Honda BF-8A - Kicker