Author Topic: Another beautiful day at the Wall  (Read 566 times)

Online AJFishin

Another beautiful day at the Wall
« on: November 23, 2015, 04:37:23 PM »
Sunday my wife and I went out to spend a beautiful summer like day on the water. We headed out to one of our spots along the wall to do some fishing. The day was perfect, warm, offshore breeze, the water was crystal clear, and the ocean looked like smooth glass.

The fishing was ok and we did have a seal visitor for a little bit, but the cool thing was when a dolphin pod swam withing 10 feet of us around our boat. I was glad my wife used her phone to capture the dolphins swimming around us, since I forgot I had a GoPro.

We ended up catching a few Calicos, 1 was just legal (14") 2 female Sheepheads, and 1 Sculpin that my wife pulled in. I was excited to see her catch such a nice fish! And then of course we landed many Blue Perch. I was wishing for at lease one Mackerel, since we were out of them to use for bait. Oh well, hope we will have a few more days like this before our big "El Nino" hits.

:beerchug:

The Seal

Dolphin pod
'96 Sea Chaser 16 - Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoke

! Go Kings Go !

Offline Chasin Baitman

Re: Another beautiful day at the Wall
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 09:08:40 PM »
Nice!  I like the underwater vid.
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 09:26:49 PM »
Nice pics. Some of those perch look like Opaleye mixed with the Blue Perch I used to fish for them a lot when I was young. We would take frozen peas, moss, and live Red Rock Shrimp for bait. We climbed down the cliffs at Palos Verdes and caught gunney sacks full. We had to drag the heavy gunney sacks back up the steep cliff trails to the truck. There was an older lady on our block who loved them.

We used spinning reels with long Sila Flex rods to cast a bobber out past the surf crashing on the rocks.  Six foot drop on the leader from the bobber and a split shot to keep the shrimp down.

Try bringing frozen peas next time. Chum with them, then string them on a hook with bobber and cast into the wall. 4 to 5 pounders were not unusual. Opaleye love peas.

Ghost shrimp will work too.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:35:07 PM by Croaker Stroker »
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Online AJFishin

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 09:28:44 AM »
Nice pics. Some of those perch look like Opaleye mixed with the Blue Perch I used to fish for them a lot when I was young. We would take frozen peas, moss, and live Red Rock Shrimp for bait. We climbed down the cliffs at Palos Verdes and caught gunney sacks full. We had to drag the heavy gunney sacks back up the steep cliff trails to the truck. There was an older lady on our block who loved them.

We used spinning reels with long Sila Flex rods to cast a bobber out past the surf crashing on the rocks.  Six foot drop on the leader from the bobber and a split shot to keep the shrimp down.

Try bringing frozen peas next time. Chum with them, then string them on a hook with bobber and cast into the wall. 4 to 5 pounders were not unusual. Opaleye love peas.

Ghost shrimp will work too.

Yes you are correct, there were some opaleye swimming around.
They're fun to catch on light tackle, they feel bigger then they are, lol. We were just using cut squid, which they seem to like along with the seniority fish.
We caught the sculpin and sheep on chunks of old mackerel that I had left over. I just wish we could have caught some mackerel to be able to use as bait, but they were nowhere in our area that we fished.

I remember my younger days surfing luanda in PV before it became to local, but I know all to well those steep and unstable cliffs. I can only imagine climbing up those with a sack of fish, it had to of been rough for you.

Next time we fish off of the wall, I'll bring some peas and try those out. My wife likes the perch too and she does a good job on cooking them and making them taste good.

:beerchug:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:36:45 AM by AJFishin »
'96 Sea Chaser 16 - Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoke

! Go Kings Go !