News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

19' SR Electronics Update

Started by Vancouvertechie, November 06, 2015, 07:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beancounter

I would suggest a large open array Hemi if you want to look for birds. My experience with a Garmin 18hd was you only saw them very close to the boat. Guys with large open arrays do much better looking for birds on their radar. Maybe some others here have experience with other units. But I have heard that none of the closed domes do a great job finding birds.

Wyrguy

Quote from: beancounter on January 24, 2016, 03:59:31 AM
I would suggest a large open array Hemi if you want to look for birds. My experience with a Garmin 18hd was you only saw them very close to the boat. Guys with large open arrays do much better looking for birds on their radar. Maybe some others here have experience with other units. But I have heard that none of the closed domes do a great job finding birds.

My Raymarine RD 418 Colour HD has 'bird mode'

Raymarine HD Color Radome Scanners

Features:

48 NM range
Adaptive digital receiver automatically adjusts to changing environmental and sea conditions for a dramatically clearer picture
256 color multi-level target display with selectable color palettes
Bird Mode automatically optimizes the receiver for detecting sea birds above schools of fish
Dual-range mode allow you to monitor both long and short ranges simultaneously with a single scanner and display

Wyrguy Rick

Sent from my iPad grudgingly using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

BruceL2_Fish

OK guys, I am not a techie and need some help to make sure I understand if I am doing this correctly.  Here is a picture of how I "think" I need to set up my electronics to be able to share information from all components.

I used to just have the E7D with the Radar running into it and the NMEA 2000 backbone that was powered with a T in the back along with a T to connect the Suzuki interface cable.   I ran the backbone up to the front where I had a T with an adapter cable for NMEA 2000 to SeaTalkng.

What I am believe I can do is power the Seatalkng 5 way connector and connect the NMEA 2000 backbone with an adapter cable.  do I still need to retain the power connection to the NMEA 2000 backbone I originally installed?    I plan to add a NMEA 0183 E70196 adapter 5 way to feed the SH GX2200 AIS information to the system by connecting with a short backbone cable.  Does this look like it will work?

Thanks for any insight, corrections and advice.
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

HemiGTX

Rick, have you used the bird mode?  I also saw that raymarine introduced a new radar (Quantum) to further confuse the issue.  I know an open array is ideal, but I gave to draw the line (cost) somewhere!

Boats are just floating carrying cases for marine electronics.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

beancounter

I would be interested also if Rick has used it for spotting birds say 1-5 miles away perhaps. I am no expert actually I am very technologically challenged to be honest. It would be nice if there were a reasonable priced radome that actually could find birds. But I am guessing bird mode is marketing hype more than anything. I only spotted birds with mine when they flew within a 100 - 200 yds of me or so. Captains I know say that 4' open array is good but 6' is better to find the birds. Small radomes are good for navigating but I would have to see it to believe it myself if an 18" radome could find birds at any appreciable distance.

HemiGTX

Ha!  If I have to go to a 6' open array on my little arima, I guess I'm not going to be seeing any birds.  I'll have to be content to use it to get out of the way of all the bayliners blasting around in the fog.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Vancouvertechie

Bruce,

Looking at your drawing and I am not completely sure, but I would suggested a devicenet cable from your SH to the bus.  I would ask that question on the Raymarine forum and the techs will respond pretty quickly.  I don't think the NMEA 0183 data will transfer on that bus. 

VT
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

BruceL2_Fish

So, I learned something new. The E70196 is only a one way talker used to send GPS info to the radio.   I don't need that.   I will just Connect the AIS data Gray and Brown wires fro GX2200 to E7D Orange/White and Orange/Green respectively.   That will send AIS to the MFD. 
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Wyrguy

Quote from: BruceL2_Fish on January 25, 2016, 05:55:09 AM
So, I learned something new. The E70196 is only a one way talker used to send GPS info to the radio.   I don't need that.   I will just Connect the AIS data Gray and Brown wires fro GX2200 to E7D Orange/White and Orange/Green respectively.   That will send AIS to the MFD.

Yes Bruce, it's really that easy with your SH 2200 as it has the built in GPS antenna. You just need to remember to also change to NEMA 0183 port to the 38400 baud rate.

This is how I've made my NEMA 0183 connection (and also the power feed to my E120 W)

Wyrguy Rick

Sent from my iPad grudgingly using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

BruceL2_Fish

Rick, thanks for your feed back. Once I figure out the E70196 was one way ( the wrong way) I re-read the manual for the GX2200 and the E7D and it clicked.  I sure like how you know all the tricks to making the wiring so organized. 

I added a 8 gauge duplex cable from my safety hub 150 to a BlueSea 6 fuse panel up front.  I have consolidated the GX220 VHF radio, the (2) Raymarine E7's, the RD418HD radar, the Fusion Radio and the HS-5 network switch into that panel.  The factory fuse panel I am just using for what it came wired with and the GX1700 radio already on it.   I will post a picture when I am done. Definitely not up to your professional standard.

Bruce
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

BruceL2_Fish

Well, I finally finished my electronics update, kind of in Parallel with VT.  Here are some pictures of my Twin E7D and E7 units, the Standard Horizon GX1700 and GX2200.   I am also including a picture of the new Blue sea fuse panel that is dedicated to the Electronics, including the RD418HD radar unit and the HS-5 network switch.   

The HS-5 network switch, made data sharing so simple, now both MFD's have access the my Navionics Platinum Chart data, my way points, routes and track information, Sonar, Radar and engine data.    Not sure if the NMEA 0183 connection to the E7D which serves as the data master will share AIS data with the second MFD yet.

As a side note, once I understood how the connection was made with the E7 having NMEA 0183 connection capability it was way simple.  Thanks for the help with that one Rick.

Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Vancouvertechie

Bruce,

That looks great.  Have you done the radar overlay on both units?  Be interesting to see what the AIS data does on that network.  I need to get to my boat wired up, but I am in the middle of some big projects right now.  Just got a lot going on and fishing season is right around the corner.

VT

BestBoats

2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

GregE

Very clean set up Bruce.  You learn quickly and have great skills.   :applause:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

beancounter

Nice work you have a lot of info displayed there.

BruceL2_Fish

VT, I still haven't really had a chance to work with the AIS data yet.  The Radar overlay works great.  Until I get the boat out on the water I won't be able to see how or if the AIS sharing from the data master. 

Greg, thanks for the comments, I really am appreciative of the knowledge of this group that has helped me figure this stuff out.   I got so much more to learn and this group is a wealth of knowledge and experience to learn from.

The more I play with what this set-up will do the more I am excited to put it to use.   
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

GregE

Now you have me thinking about moving the tach behind the wheel and adding another MFD.  Sure would be nice to update our olfer radar to a digital one.   $$$

Oh my, here we go.  Haven't finished the new to me tandem trailer yet ( longer bunks, new heavier rated wheels ) or added the hydraulic steering.   :shrug9:
Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Vancouvertechie

Hahaha.... the warning about this topic and the last post was over 120 days ago.... Well I am finally getting everything installed.  I had the Raymarine A78 installed, but didn't get any of the other stuff done.  So last Saturday morning along with last night I got the following completed.

Mounted the second head unit Raymarine A75
Installed the Raymarine Hi-speed switch
Installed two SeatalkNG backbones
Installed the Raymarine Lifetag and mounted the siren
Updated the Lighthouse II to R17 on the Master and then pushed to the A75
Installed Simrad RS35 and ran devicenet cable to the backbone
Configured AIS layer on both MFDs
Configure RayControl on iPad mini for 3rd screen

Pending...

Mount the HS35 remote handset and pair it with the RS35
Configure GPS input on the RS35
Finish installing new switch panel
Install 15w solar panel and charge controller
Wire switch to front water tank and run new hose (thanks Hemi!)
Install radar mount, radar and new anchor light

Not very good pics, but I will try to get some better ones once I clean stuff up.  What I have learned is the network is pretty fast.  The last update is almost 1GB zipped and the remote update took less than 10 minutes.  The AIS data is available across the network bus and there is no latency with the wifi and iPad when controlling the second MFD remotely. 

GregE

Looks nice.  Get some use on the system and give an application report.   :arms:
Greg

Vancouvertechie

Sure will.  I can't wait to try the sonarchart live mapping around some of the areas on the Columbia.  AIS is working great and will compliment the radar nicely.  Once I get that installed. 

VT

Threeweight

Curious how your live mapping works as well.  I just upgraded the operating system on my A98 to support live mapping, not much experience with it yet!
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: Threeweight on June 15, 2016, 01:41:14 PM
Curious how your live mapping works as well.  I just upgraded the operating system on my A98 to support live mapping, not much experience with it yet!

I am eager to test it out as well.  Didn't have enough time tonight, but if I can get out tomorrow evening.  Depends if we get those thunder storms as predicted.  Tonight's boat test went well. 

It is amazing how many boats have their AIS on even when docked or anchor'd.

So far so good with keeping bottom with the trim tabs installed.  Much easier to get on step now with the tabs. 

Here is the helm shot.  I should have charged the tablet and had that running as well.  I was just short on time.

Got the switch panel mounted, 12v gauge, and 15 watt solar panel.  I should have my charge controller tomorrow and the Yamaha NMEA cable on Friday.  Radar should be here within the next week or so. 

VT

Yachter Yat

Wow!  VT, when you're done, I'm thinking you should be able to get where your going without ever having to look out the window. Kinda like flying an F-16.  (ha)

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Threeweight

Yikes... you are making the electronics package on Wild Card seem downright modest  :bigshock:  That is going to be one sweet 19' when you are finished!
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: Threeweight on June 16, 2016, 04:43:38 PM
Yikes... you are making the electronics package on Wild Card seem downright modest  :bigshock:  That is going to be one sweet 19' when you are finished!

I doubt that, but it has been fun.  Just preparing and learning for when a bigger boat comes along.  I don't know when, but it will be much, much bigger than anything I have ever owned before.  I need to figure out a way to mount the Lifetag MOB modules on the girls life jackets and my mine. 

VT