News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

19' SR Electronics Update

Started by Vancouvertechie, November 06, 2015, 07:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vancouvertechie

Well with the nice weather I decided to rewire the Sea Ranger and install my Raymarine equipment.  I picked up another Raymarine A75 head unit on Ebay to network with my A78.  A75 with built wifi will share data with my iPad that I will mount in a LifeProof case outside the cabin.  PIcked up a Simrad RS35 and the HS35 wireless handset for the port side passenger or attached to my life vest.  Hopefully this will all tie together along with the Raymarine Lifetag that is running on Seatalk(ng). 

VT

2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

BestBoats

Looks like a fun project! You will like the wireless network. I use my iPhone as a remote control to switch screens when I'm running tiller in the back....works slick. Enjoy your project!
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

GregE

... and keep those pictures coming VT 
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Vancouvertechie

I will try to get some more photos of the progress.  I want to get it done to do some crabbing.

VT

beancounter

Hey John kinda interested in how you plan to mount your displays especially since I acquired a 21ht. By the way still have that Penn Squall unused you were drooling over at Neah last year but I did put it on a Shimano rod. :biggrin:

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: beancounter on November 10, 2015, 04:01:17 PM
Hey John kinda interested in how you plan to mount your displays especially since I acquired a 21ht. By the way still have that Penn Squall unused you were drooling over at Neah last year but I did put it on a Shimano rod. :biggrin:

I was talking with Mark on how I should have both units mounted and I have some ideas.  I will try a couple of setups and take some photos.  As for the Penn Squall.. I took care of that itch.

VT

Vancouvertechie

I hope to finish the electrical stuff this weekend and here is a rough diagram of the network.  I could almost get away with one 5-way connector, but the devicenet cable from the radio to the bus is pretty short.  So I have to trunk the two connectors to give the network some length.  A network switch will be added sometime in the future for the radar dome.

VT

Threeweight

That is going to be a sweet package when you are done with it, John! 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

beancounter

John you put the handle on the wrong side. Didn't know you were a lefty.

HemiGTX

Lefties reel with their right hands.  I never understood why so many of you right-handers insist on swapping the rod to the left hand in order to reel!   :hoboy:
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Zarn

Very Nice Upgrades... Are any of your original electronics already spoken for?

Well... with respect to the pole switching thing... in my case it comes from using Penn reels exclusively for 25+ years.

Oh.... and yeah.... I surf goofy footed too!   :whistle:
SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.

HemiGTX

VT,

Is it necessary to connect the two MFDs via cable?  If connected, can they still display different data?

Also, what does a network switch do, and when is one needed?

I want to run two sonar modules and can't figure out whether I need a switch?

Thanks!

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: HemiGTX on December 09, 2015, 03:38:00 AM
VT,

Is it necessary to connect the two MFDs via cable?  If connected, can they still display different data?

Also, what does a network switch do, and when is one needed?

I want to run two sonar modules and can't figure out whether I need a switch?

Thanks!

Hemi,

Yes, they can display different data, but the A75 does not have a built-in sounder so for now I will use it to mirror data from the A78.  The network switch adds more Hi speed ports so I can attach the HD Radar and have the data displayed on all devices.  The answer for your sounder question is that you need to get a CP module.  http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=478  That's if you are running Raymarine.  This module will connect different types of transducers and allow the individual head units to use any transducer from a drop down list. 

Very Nice Upgrades... Are any of your original electronics already spoken for?

Zarn,

Unfortunately, I don't have any old stuff laying around. 

VT

HemiGTX

VT,  I currently have an e7d linked to a cp470 sonar module and a 265 1kw chirp transducer.  I also have a p58 transom mount transducer tied directly to the mfd.

I will be adding a CP100 Downvision sonar module before Neah.  I'll have to tie the two sonar modules to either a 5 way connector or a network switch.  I *think* I need the switch, but what are your thoughts?

I love the raymarine stuff, but the fact that they have ray met, seatalk, and seatalkNG cables just confuses the heck out of me.  If I were in charge, you would be able to build a network using only one kind of cable!  I would pay good money for a manual that described how to build raymarine networks...

Thanks!!

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: HemiGTX on December 09, 2015, 08:15:59 PM
VT,  I currently have an e7d linked to a cp470 sonar module and a 265 1kw chirp transducer.  I also have a p58 transom mount transducer tied directly to the mfd.

I will be adding a CP100 Downvision sonar module before Neah.  I'll have to tie the two sonar modules to either a 5 way connector or a network switch.  I *think* I need the switch, but what are your thoughts?

I love the raymarine stuff, but the fact that they have ray met, seatalk, and seatalkNG cables just confuses the heck out of me.  If I were in charge, you would be able to build a network using only one kind of cable!  I would pay good money for a manual that described how to build raymarine networks...

Thanks!!

I am sure you have done some research on this, but let me do some tinkering on paper of your setup.

VT

HemiGTX

I'm going to go the 'switch' route, because I know I'll need it when I add radar.  Plus, it's the expensive option.  I never seem to get away with the cheap option!  Lol!

Vancouvertechie

Sounds good.  I will be doing the same.  Are you going standard digital or hd digital on the radar?

VT

HemiGTX

HD, so I can better see birds.  But I also want a second, larger MFD.  I have the E7D, but want a 12" screen as well.

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: HemiGTX on January 22, 2016, 02:04:29 PM
HD, so I can better see birds.  But I also want a second, larger MFD.  I have the E7D, but want a 12" screen as well.

Does your E7D have wifi? I would get a large tablet and put the Raymarine app and controll app for a larger screen.  But if you are looking for redundancy, I can see that.  But a larger tablet 10" or 12" then install the app and run Navionics wouldn't be a bad secondary. 

VT

BruceL2_Fish

VT, maybe you can answer some of my questions.   I am setting up a second E7 next to my E7D.   I am hooking them up through a HS5 network switch, as well as my digital HD radar.  I currently have my Suzuki 115 connected with a seatalkng to NMEA 2000 setup.   I have added a SH GX2200 and want to connect it and was going to use the NMEA 0183 connection.   

I see you used an adapter cable to go directly to Seatalkng.  Why not use the NMEA 0183 connection wires in the E7D harness?

Also, are you setting your radio to MFD connection to 38400 baud rate?   Is that the right one?   

Any insights would be appreciated. 

Bruce
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: BruceL2_Fish on January 23, 2016, 05:52:07 PM
VT, maybe you can answer some of my questions.   I am setting up a second E7 next to my E7D.   I am hooking them up through a HS5 network switch, as well as my digital HD radar.  I currently have my Suzuki 115 connected with a seatalkng to NMEA 2000 setup.   I have added a SH GX2200 and want to connect it and was going to use the NMEA 0183 connection.   

I see you used an adapter cable to go directly to Seatalkng.  Why not use the NMEA 0183 connection wires in the E7D harness?

Also, are you setting your radio to MFD connection to 38400 baud rate?   Is that the right one?   

Any insights would be appreciated. 

Bruce

On both of my head units the power connection does not have the NMEA 0183 cabling.  But you are correct on the baud rate for your unit should be set for 38400.  I am using the devicenet cable to tie the RS35 directly to the backbone to keep everything running on NMEA 2K.  That way in the future if I want to share AIS data to other devices that data will be available.  Using the NMEA 0183 is a one to one connection. 

VT

BruceL2_Fish

VT, got me thinking maybe I should put in the Seatalk backbone and connect the engine data and radio feeds to it so both MFD's can use he data.    Something to think about.  That Raymarine network stuff is expensive, so that my temper my decision. 
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

HemiGTX

Vt,

Good idea on the wifi/tablet.

Nicole has balked at me using her tablet on the boat.  My mistake was asking her if has a touch screen..

I'll keep working on her.

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: BruceL2_Fish on January 23, 2016, 06:51:44 PM
VT, got me thinking maybe I should put in the Seatalk backbone and connect the engine data and radio feeds to it so both MFD's can use he data.    Something to think about.  That Raymarine network stuff is expensive, so that my temper my decision.

I know that most boating/fishing sites talk about redundancy.  I know John Keizer from SaltPatrol.com comments on running two units in case of failure while out on the water. 

VT

Threeweight

Also very nice to be able to dedicate one screen to sonar, one to chartplotter/radar.  That way you can make adjustment to the sonar on the fly without screwing with your maps.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson