Author Topic: "Electric Drive" Reel  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Grizzle

"Electric Drive" Reel
« on: September 07, 2011, 08:35:12 PM »
Halibut fishing this year I found out that cranking 16oz - 24oz jigs up from 300' all day gets old, really old.  I needed a better solution for my wife who LOVES to bottom fish.   I couldn't afford an off the shelf electric reel (much less 3 of them) so I put together a 12v electric drill solution.  

Battle tested for 11 days on Nootka sound fishing HARD...works AWESOME.  I'm blown away how good it is, highly recommended.  I run the Daiwa Saltist LW 40.  Yes they are levelwinds.   http://www.bajafishgear.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1229

The only really tricky part was the machining needed to create the custom drive nut.  Its a metric thread, the nut and plate you see on the handle is actually a single piece cut on a lathe.  The "nut" is cut to 9/16, the plate (starting off round) was cut to the shape of the handle, and then a set screw tapped in.  It cost me $40 for each "nut".

The driver is simply a 9/16 craftsman socket epoxied onto a 3/8 driver.

I used a 12v drill I had lying around.  Soldered in a cord with a Scotty male plug.  Runs all day off the boats 12v system.

I have a video I'll post of my wife cranking 1lb up from 600', I was surprised how easy and balanced it was.  My 6yr old daughter took on the role as the "Dewalter", she cranked up our reels all day.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:55:56 AM by Grizzle »
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

Offline BigMac

Re: "Electric Drive" Reel
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »
I have a fishing acquaintance that fishes out of Neah Bay who has done the same kinda thing.

He uses a 12 volt rechargeable screwdriver.  He somehow takes out the batteries and wires it so it plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet.  Swears by it.  He said the hardest part was to find a nut that would attach to hia reels.

Your rig sure looks slick.  With a couple of those bad boys, the 5-600' water can be utilized without fatigue.  Also I'll bet you get your offering back on the bottom sooner as you set up doesn't get tired and have to rest!

Thanks for the idea.

(Dave)

Offline Grizzle

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »
We searched everywhere for a nut that would work on the Diawa reels.  It was totally unavailable everywhere we knew to look, that's why I had it machined.
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

Offline CanvasGuy

• ArimaOwners.com Sr. Banner Engineer
  • Fisherman
  • aka king slayer
  • View Gallery
    • Smart Custom Canvas
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 05:19:58 AM »
Great Idea Griz..
 thanks for sharing all your great Ideas here for All  Current and future Owners..

Nice Work.. :bowdown:

CG
Gary Smart
-1980 Hardtop Glasply Sedan"VistaCruiser" 
 http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

Offline GoodDays

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 06:54:11 AM »
Pretty slick !!!!!   Looking forward to hearing your Nootka stories ! I hope it lived up to your expectations.. I understand the Rain had an effect on the fishing... looking forward to a few fish and scenery photos too !!

GoodDays Greg
Canadian Arima Addict and Chinookaholic !!!

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 08:45:53 AM »
Well if that ain't the dangdest thing I've ever seen!

Very...uh...ingenious(?)  ...or maybe I should say slick?
Man I tell ya...If my brain would think in those terms I'd be a multi-millionaire!  Of course then I'd could afford to have someone else reel it up for me too   :whistle:

Well done Grizz...
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:13:54 AM »
There are a few folks who manufacture nuts to use a set up like that on Penn reels, no need to customize.  Link to one of them below:

http://www.huntingfishinginc.com/turnamatedrive.html

After doing halibut bait checks in 700' of water this summer out of Tillamook, this looks like a pretty attractive option to me.  Especially for the price!
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Grizzle

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 10:16:16 AM »
Those Turn-a-mate drivers look like a good solution for guys running Penn reels.

I take a lot of casual fishers out on the boat so a levelwind is a must, after comparison shopping I went with Daiwa.  The Daiwa saltist LW is one hell of a reel that everyone on my boat likes.  Lightweight, 450yds of 65lb braid, nice handle, AND a solid levelwind.  The Penn GT series levelwinds arent what I'm looking for, the Penn Fathom Levelwind is comparable to the Saltist.

Even on low speed the line retrieves fast, it might be a challenge to manage a conventional (no levelwind) reel. 

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »
Great work!!!!

I'm kicking myself because I threw away an older Makita 12v driver because the cost of a new battery pack was about as much as a new driver.....  Would have been perfect for this!!! :doh:
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 10:48:11 PM »
Great Idea!
My inspiration came from a Cook Inlet halibut trip with the 300 ft. bottom running like a river so we used 5lbs lead, and I was pooped after a few bait checks.  I even allowed the bait boy to hold my rod on his shoulder for the 85 pounder...
Mark
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline SRanger

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 11:05:34 AM »

Most Excellent idea Grizz.  Deserving to be bookmarked!
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)