Author Topic: El Cheapo bait "live" well.  (Read 774 times)

Offline AJFishin

El Cheapo bait "live" well.
« on: October 25, 2015, 08:30:15 PM »
I figured I would post this here since I've had some questions regarding my el cheapo live well.
I'm not saying I'm the first to do this or this is the greatest bait live well, but so far it has worked for me.

My wife and I also fish from the piers and to keep our bait fish, mackerels, alive. I bought a bass pro shop aerator for $8 that I clipped on the side of my 5 galling bucket. I figured since it works on the pier, I'll give it a try in one of my aft holds on the boat, which surprising it worked.
The unit I have has a high and low setting for air that pumps air in the hold. It's kind of like my aquarium air pump, just with out a water filter.

What I do is fill up my hold with about 4 gallons of water with a 2 gallon bucket I have on board. When the water starts to look a little dirty, I drain about a gallon or so out and replace it with fresh water.

So far this has worked pretty good to keep about 9 mackerels alive for about 5 hours. Once back to the dock I release the water and take the live fish out, and clean them.

Here's some pictures of my cheap diy  "live" well.

Here's the $8 areator that uses 1 D battery. (I've used the same battery now going on 20+ hours)

Here my left side hold with the air tube sticking out.
Also to clip the areator on, I use my Velcro rod holder I got from West Marine for $1.

Inside.

The set up.

El Cheapo bait live well working.

Other type of fish I had in the hold and kept alive, were 6 blue perch and 1 kelp greenling.

And that's it. Total cost about $10 and so far works good for me. I don't know how many it can keep alive though.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 08:34:56 PM by AJFishin »
'96 Sea Chaser 1511 - Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoke

! Go Kings Go !

Online Markshoreline

Re: El Cheapo bait "live" well.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 04:00:10 PM »
Great idea and thanks for sharing it with us!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Online tsuribaka

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 11:03:15 AM »
We use this in the place for the same purpose:

http://shoreline-marinedevelopment.com/products-bucketaeratorpump

Hooks to the house battery and circulates the water in addition to aerating.

Offline Ssericz

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 04:39:31 PM »
The bottom fish in that picture appears to be a señorita wrasse not a kelp greenling

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 11:38:06 AM »
The bottom fish in that picture appears to be a señorita wrasse not a kelp greenling

Yes you are correct. That was bad copying and pasting on my end when I was searching for the name of the fish.
'96 Sea Chaser 1511 - Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoke

! Go Kings Go !