Author Topic: "No Mess" Oil Filter & Oil Draining Ideas  (Read 629 times)

Offline Old No7

• Chinook
  • Arima Sea Ranger 19' ~ Honda BF130 4-Stroke
  • View Gallery
"No Mess" Oil Filter & Oil Draining Ideas
« on: October 18, 2015, 04:30:32 PM »
Last fall, I posted this pix on the Honda/Marine Engine forum, as some of the gang there has helped me out before.  Since the gang here is helpful too, I thought I'd share this tip here too.

This pix shows how I cut-down a small juice bottle, cut it in half, and then zip-tied it halfway into the cut-down bottom of a larger bottle.  The small juice bottle just fits just under my Honda BF130's oil filter but above the metal flange that is supposed to catch oil (which it doesn't do well...) -- and voila!  No oil is spilled now whenever I change my filter each fall.  The pix shows the contraption as being level, but I do tip the outboard up before pulling off the filter.  With the 2 devices tied together, I can easily hold them in place with one hand, while the other spins off the filter.  (Just don't forget to loosen up the filter with the strap wrench first.)

Then yesterday -- A very sad day!  As it was "Fogging Day" and I put the outboard to bed for the winter... -- I came up with this idea to catch the oil from the lower drain hole.  It worked well, though I had to reduce the flow of the oil at the start (with my finger) as the oil was coming out FASTER than the funnel and hose would take it!  :doh:

But no spills were made, and by leaving this in place for awhile, I could ensure that all the oil drained out while I puttered with other engine maintenance.

These 2 contraptions worked really "slick" -- pun intended!

Hope they help those who are about to do their winterizing.

Old No7
"A bad day on an Arima, is better than a good day at work!"

Offline beancounter

Re: "No Mess" Oil Filter & Oil Draining Ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 04:53:57 PM »
Good engineering there. Thanks

Offline GregE

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 05:02:25 PM »
Old guy- still learning.  Thanks
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »
I have a West Marine oil extractor pump like this:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--manual-oil-extractor-6-5l--11047123?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-Shopping_PLAs-_-11047123&adpos=1o1&creative=65739116644&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CLLJm5rRzcgCFUVufgod4doMdg

Has tubing that goes down through the dip stick into the oil sump, and lets you suck the oil out with no mess at all.  When done, a plug can be removed from the pump so you can empty it into a container (or take it to the auto parts space for recycling.)

Used it this afternoon to change the oil in my wife's car.  Has probably done 20 changes in various vehicles now.  It works really, really well.

When i want  to do a standard drain, my Suzuki has a little ridge around the drain plug that a gallon milk jug fits over perfectly:

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson