News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Here I Go Again with the Cardboard

Started by Salmon King, October 14, 2015, 05:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salmon King

Those of you that followed along with my last build know that my Skiff Top started life as a Refrigerator shipping box.
Well it's time I quit putting things off and got started on the side windows.

At this point I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to make them out of...I just know that I need to at least have side curtains or windows in place before Winter BM season gets in full swing.

So I'm asking for opinions here...

1.  I want to follow the line of the arch BUT...
     Should I end the sides at the arch OR should I continue on to the back of the top and just carry the same angle down?
If I go to the back of the top and carry the angle the bottom will meet at the lower aft corner of the side window. 
If I end it at the arch it will meet at the upper aft end of the side window.
The difference is only 6" but the drop curtain will be more difficult to make (if I ever get that far).

2.  Material...
     Should I make a frame out of fiberglass and insert the window into it?
     Maybe just go the quick, relatively simple way and make the entire panel out of Plexiglass?
     Or should I go with canvas work?
Personally I'm leaning toward the Plexiglass panel using a thickness I can route an edge into to make an overlap.

As for mounting it to the top, I have that part pretty much worked out for any type of material whereas I will not have any fasteners going into the top

So help me out here with some thoughts on what would work best...keeping in mind that they really would only be used in the Winter and not be permanent.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tom Mac

I think canvas will compliment the great job you did on the top  :beerchug:
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Salmon King

Someone mentioned it would be better with a graphic representation so here is a shot of a cardboard template for the shorter version...
Keep in mind the longer version would simply end at the bottom of the side window and extend up and back to the back edge of the top.

2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

croaker stroker

Have you looked into Strataglas.??  It's kind of stiff. Like Plexiglass.  And very, very clear.

http://www.strataglass.com
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Salmon King

CS.
I did not think that strataglass would be stiff enough for this application.
I'll take another look at it though...
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Hydro-Therapy

SK how are you planning on attaching the side windows ? Just a thought when using something as stiff as plexiglass you will need some sort of frame with rubber support ,not unlike the windshields we have now. As trying to mount it with a hole and screw with rubber washers. The plexiglass will break out around the holes in a very short time due to the flex of the boat. I would think something like stratoglass mounted in a canvas border for attaching with snaps and zippers would be much more functional and easier to do. Although no one can accuse you of doing anything the easy way!! :stirthepot: If I was up your way I would be talking Canvas Guy for is ideas on how to get the job done.  He has come up with some great ideas on how to make enclosures on Arima's.  :twocents:

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

StreamFixer

In my opinion, humble though it may be, you would be embarking on a thankless task to build a fiberglass/window enclosure.  Unless of course you enjoy self inflicted pain.  And I sure would not go without windows (the black hole of Calcutta comes to mind).

The windows would need to be openable.  Granted, where you reside, the summer weather has only a few days of serious heat, and then seldom on the water.  If permanently closed windows were installed, that cabin would become an oven with even minimal sun exposure.

I recommend you go with a canvas/see-through system Terry.  Go discuss with Gary (Canvbas Guy) (hint---  he enjoys a good beer) and see what he thinks.  There are only very few canvas guys with his eye and imagination.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Salmon King

The ONLY reason the Canvas work is not at the top of my list is COST.
QUALITY canvas work does not come cheap and the entire reasoning behind building the top was because I could not afford it in the 1st place.
Believe me...if I could have had new canvas made I would have.

Sure I could just get Joe Schmuckatelli down the road to make it but then...How long would it last before I had to get it done over again.

If I had a sewing machine I would make it myself...
I did the canvas work on my last boat...it wasn't real perty but it got the job done and it was still in fine shape when I gave that boat away.
But we no longer have that machine.
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

headduck

Is there any flex...will a rigid piece need to give at all or is the top/arch/wind shield etc rock solid?
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Salmon King

Quote from: headduck on October 15, 2015, 06:46:08 PM
Is there any flex...will a rigid piece need to give at all or is the top/arch/wind shield etc rock solid?

The top, arch, and windshield are rock solid.
At least I can't get the to move.
I see no reason why the side would need to move.

My plan with the plexiglass is to install a type of rail mount for the top of it using longer bolts through the handrail mounts on the top while installing snaps along the bottom as if it were canvas.
Quick and easy install and removal yet fully functional.

The plexi would be thick enough to prevent flexing and allow me to route the lower edge to provide a lip for it to rest on the top of the window frame yet overlap the out side of the frame to snap into place.

Hope that's a clear explanation...
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Tj805

What if you just used it the way it is?  :shrug9:
I have side curtains and I took them off
Because they were really only helpfull on windy days
When I had no business being out anyways.

But if it was me and I was set on having them
I would rig up some plexiglass.  :twocents:
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Salmon King

I didn't have sides or a dop on my last boat and I did ok but...
I was 10 or 12 years younger then and the chill didn't bother me near as much as it does now.
Without at least having sides on I'll probably park the boat all Winter and miss out on Winter Crab AND Winter BM.

Whatever I do I'll be sure it looks great and enhances the look and value of the boat.

2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)