News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

New Truck help.

Started by croaker stroker, October 07, 2015, 11:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

Anybody have experience with the Dodge 1500 3.0 l. Ecodiesel ?

Wondering how well they tow up a hill ? And if they have any issues.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

wedocq

I just test drove one the other day! Surprising amount of torque and power for a 3.0 diesel. I did so because a farmer on my route bought one a year ago ago, and loves it! He said the lowest fuel milage he's gotten is 24 mpg for a tank.
Things I liked:
Roomy, quiet, and powerful. It has a 9,000lb tow capacity.

Things I didn't like:
The $8500 off MSRP they have been advertising the hell out of only applies to gas models.
The demand is high, finding one in stock to look at was difficult!
The long bed models only come in a standard cab. The crew cab has a 6'3" bed.
Good luck!
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Threeweight

I would comparison shop against the Nissan Titan diesel, which should be available soon.  Cummins engine.  Bigger engine, less fuel economy, but higher tow rating.  Also the new Ford F150's with the turbocharged gas V6's have similar fuel economy/tow ratings.

But... you will never make up the difference in $$ between a new gas rig and a new diesel based on fuel economy.  This is the problem with these new 1/2 ton diesels... at a $7500 or $10,000k premium over a gas rig, but with similar tow ratings/overall capacity, the economics of them are a little shaky.  IMO, the Ford route makes more sense (unless you just hate Ford).

Buy diesel if you need to tow or haul something really heavy, and you want a truck who's engine will last for 200-300,000 miles.  And buy a 3/4 or 1 ton.  And then my preference was to buy a 2006 model.  The very latest (2014+) trucks have the emissions issues worked out and the fuel economy is good.  The 2008-2013 or so trucks, not so much.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

ATGEP

I picked up a new F150 and am very happy with the purchase. I average 22 MPG not towing. And it tows my 21 HT with very little effort. For me, I chose the 2.7 turbo motor. It seems to be a very popular choice and runs very much like a diesel with all the driveability you need under 3k rpm. I looked at the small cummins but in the end the Ford won me over. I also was worried about a small volume engine becoming an orphan at the parts counter.

Do I feel the boat when towing?...Yes. I would say the 21 HT it about all I would want to tow on a regular basis .

StreamFixer

2010 Chev Silverado 4wd, small block --  19 - 20 highway goes to 13 when towing my 19SC (3500#)

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Salmon King

Quote from: wedocq on October 07, 2015, 12:52:41 PM
I just test drove one the other day! Surprising amount of torque and power for a 3.0 diesel. I did so because a farmer on my route bought one a year ago ago, and loves it! He said the lowest fuel milage he's gotten is 24 mpg for a tank.
Things I liked:
Roomy, quiet, and powerful. It has a 9,000lb tow capacity.

Things I didn't like:
The $8500 off MSRP they have been advertising the hell out of only applies to gas models.
The demand is high, finding one in stock to look at was difficult!
The long bed models only come in a standard cab. The crew cab has a 6'3" bed.
Good luck!

Yup...I agree completely!!
I got the same story from multiple owners AND Shawn is right on with the pluses and minuses...
-Shawn
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

croaker stroker

Just got back from a test drive. I was hoping to test out the four point air suspension. I thought this was a feature that you could get on any 1500, but it is only available on the "Limited" model and a few other four wheel drive models. I don't need 4-wheel drive. Oh well. Still an awesome little truck.

You guys are right about the power. Surprising out of such a small Diesel. I think it will tow my boat and TT nicely.

My Tacoma is a really nice truck, but this Dodge is so comfortable, roomy, smooth, and quiet...and powerful.

I don't want another 3/4 or one ton truck. Been there....done that. Just too big and not practical for driving around town. I have owned  6.2 3/4 ton and a Detroit 6.5 turbo one ton.(pre-Duramax)

I'm still in the early stages. I am cheap and my Tacoma is really nice. I am going to have to add another $20,000 above the value of my Tacoma and I am having trouble convincing myself.   :1zhelp:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

Yeah, if the Tacoma will do the job the $ is a stretch!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

La-Z-Buoy

I enthusiastically recommend the Ford F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Gobs of power and reasonably fuel efficient. Mine's a 2012 with 36K on the odometer and I couldn't be happier. Have a 28' trailer, dry weight 5330, and have about 7K miles towing it. If you're inclined to, go test drive one. They've been on the market long enough that you might be able to pick up a used one.    :twocents:   
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Threeweight

I think you would be shocked at how refined and quiet any of the modern 3/4 ton diesels they are compared to the trucks you had.  And the power.  Your old 6.5 only put out 250 pound feet of torque... my 2006 Duramax puts out 650, and the newer models are up to 850 (I think the Ram diesel is around 400).  At highway speeds, my truck is quieter than my old Tundra.

One of my neighbors just bought a new Ford F150 ecoboost (the 3.5).  It's a very nice looking truck, and he loves it so far.  Time will tell how well the aluminum body panels hold up, but he claims to be getting 22-23 mpg on the highway.  It's a 4wd. 

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

My old 1993 6.5 put out 440 lb/ft of torque. (215 hp) it had the non-electronic fuel injection and no smog control.

This "new" little Dodge diesel puts out 240 hp and 420 lb/ft of torque.

So far, I am impressed.  :bigshock:    .....but not by the price.   :1zhelp:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

Sounds like yours was the turbocharged version to make that power.  The early ones were snails.... and apparently they still use one of the weak versions of the 6.5 in military Hum Vees. 

There's some new out about the Nissan diesel, with it's specs.  They are calling it a "heavy duty" half ton... 12,000# tow rating, 2000# payload rating.

http://autoweek.com/article/detroit-auto-show/new-2016-nissan-titan-xd-cummins-diesel-power-rumbles-detroit-auto-show

--- Hunter S. Thompson

StreamFixer

My only problem (and it is MY problem) with Nissan is I don't like Nissan products since they changed from Datsun....

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Browneye

Get a '05-up duramax if you want a diesel. You'll pay half or less of a new truck and can pull anything your little heart could desire.
Mine got 22-23mpg on the hiway unloaded, 14-15 pulling 4500lbs. Was a '04 with the bad injectors, but they fixed that by '04-1/2. So anything newer is just gravy. Find one with under a hundred grand and you're golden. Absolutely fantastic trucks.

The new Ford is fine. They were really pissed when GM beat them out with the Colorado for MT truck of the year. You can get that in a mini-diesel now too. They actually call it a 'duramax' motor. LOL. I love mine and it's just a I4, but it's drives like a car and pulls the boat just great. I have been super pleased with the service, the performance, and the quality. GM has really stepped up their game. Well, they all have, but GM and Ford are way out ahead these days.

My '15 colorado x-cab 4x4

Chris Brown
Orange County, CA
'15 SeaChaser 17 - NEW!

Threeweight

I mentioned it in the other thread, but the 2006 to 2007.5 Duramax trucks are the holy grail.  LBZ engines had all the kinks worked out and put out slightly more power, and these were the first years of the 6 speed Allison (the older trucks had 5 speeds and have to rev higher at highway speeds.)

--- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

Done deal.  Fun new toy.   :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

wedocq

Well that didn't take long to decide! Congrats! So tell me, what extra special fun things does Cali put diesel owners thru? I am just wondering, because Cali sends all their diesel UPS trucks up to the PNW once they hit about 60k in miles.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Browneye

:applause: :applause:

New boat-puller!
Chris Brown
Orange County, CA
'15 SeaChaser 17 - NEW!

croaker stroker

Quote from: wedocq on October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 PM
Well that didn't take long to decide! Congrats! So tell me, what extra special fun things does Cali put diesel owners thru? I am just wondering, because Cali sends all their diesel UPS trucks up to the PNW once they hit about 60k in miles.
-Shawn

California has pretty strict smog control requirements.  This truck has a "selective catalytic reduction" system which uses "diesel exhaust fluid" (DEF)  that somehow turns the exhaust into h2O vapor ?

Maybe they send your older trucks up to Oregon to avoid Smog Certification.  :shrug9:

There's crazy electronic computer stuff on this truck.....even tells me if Im going to hit something. It has a backup camera and a cargo camera. The littlle window in the rear window is electric !!

Heated steering wheel.....really? Why?

Siri can talk to me in my truck now.  Oh, boy !!  :hoboy:

Still reading to see what I got ????   :jester:

Thanks for all of your valued advise.  :clap: :beerchug:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Peddler

Quote from: StreamFixer on October 08, 2015, 04:05:41 PM
My only problem (and it is MY problem) with Nissan is I don't like Nissan products since they changed from Datsun....

StreamFixer

Wasn't Datsun just a name they made up and used for introducing the brand to the U.S. Market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Browneye

Quote from: Peddler on October 09, 2015, 05:39:48 AM

Quote from: StreamFixer on October 08, 2015, 04:05:41 PM

StreamFixer

Wasn't Datsun just a name they made up and used for introducing the brand to the U.S. Market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much. When asked when they needed this name for the roll out the answer was, "Right away", and the response was, "Dat soon???"

Makes about as much sense as 'nissan'. I thought that was noodle soup? 

:rimshot:
Chris Brown
Orange County, CA
'15 SeaChaser 17 - NEW!

StreamFixer

I suspect all products from the Asian production system has some phony, made up name attached to them... 

Who would be interested in purchasing a Quang-gai?  Boy, talk about a tough marketing problem   :jester:

Could be Datsun means 'watch the dumb-ass American buy this'  Who knows..  I sure don't

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

croaker stroker

I sure can't complain about my Tacoma. I drove it for four years and It retained it's value. I was able to Wholesale it for just a few thousand less than I paid for it.  Except for a drive shaft vibration (two piece driveshaft for ground clearance) I never had any warranty repairs.

Only recently, we have been having age related comfort issues....my wife wasn't comfortable in the passanger seat......And Streamfixer kept bumping his head.  :shrug9:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

Congrats!  That is a really nice truck... will be interested in hearing what kinds of MPG's you get with it when it is broken in.  You really didn't need to upgrade on Streamfixer's account though.  People up here usually make him ride in the bed anyway.  :whistle:

I think the DEF fluid works by injecting ammonia into the exhaust and converting nitrogen oxide (the nasty stuff that causes smog) into nitrogen and h2o.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Fat Tug

Had a 2009 duramax motor & trannie Was good the rest of the truck was Junk only year with no recalls to.
Now have 15 dodge. :party:
fat tug