Author Topic: Wiring question  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Mike Cronin

Wiring question
« on: September 09, 2015, 10:16:01 AM »
I'm in the middle of trying to straighten up the wiring in my Sea Ranger 17. The previous owner had all the accessories tied directly to the battery. I'm adding a fuse block,but for the life of me, I can't find a power source that turns on with the key.  It appears that the only place to find one is on the cable from the OMC control to the motor.  I would hate to cut into that cable and I could run a wire back to the motor but am I missing something?
I'm working in a garage in Phoenix so I start at about 5:30 am and quit when the temp in the garage hits 105 or when the hallucinations start.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Mike
Have a 1990 Arima Sea Ranger

Online Danno

Re: Wiring question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 10:38:32 AM »
Add two fuse blocks. One back at the battery and one up behind your helm console. The wire from the battery to the helm needs to be fused so the fuse block back by the battery covers that. Wire from the battery to the back fuse block and then a wire that is sufficient to power everything you have up at the helm from the back fuse block to the front fuse block. Then run the helm accessories off of the helm fuse block with their own separate fuses. Make sure to use marine wire (tin coated copper).

The fuse block back by the battery can then be used to power items that need to be connected in the back of the boat.

It's also a good time to think about a dual battery and switch if you don't have one.

Hey Wryguy, how about developing a generic wiring schematic for Arimas? It would include recommended part numbers for switches, fuse blocks and fuses. I think that would be a very helpful addition to this site.
Previously owned a 1998 19' SR

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 10:41:33 AM »
So you are putting a new fuse block at or near the helm, correct?

And you want to be able to shut off the power to that fuse block, right?

The proper way is to put a switch near the battery and run an adequately sized wire to the fuse block.  The Arima factory wire installed for this is probably size 10.  Depending on what electronics and accessories you plan to install, you probably want to upgrade this wire in size and quality.

You do NOT want to splice into the OMC wiring.  The motor needs to be on its own circuit.

Many of us have done rewires and it sounds like you are starting.  My suggestion is that you make a complete wiring plan and get it all written down, before you start anything.

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 10:46:56 AM »
Here's a basic diagram to get you started (this once includes an auto charging relay or ACR):

In Danno's suggestion, his rear fuse block would take the place of the fuse/breaker shown in the diagram between the battery switch and the House fuse/switch panel.  Agree with First Cabin... absolutely no reason to splice into your motor's wiring harness for this.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Vancouvertechie

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 10:55:12 AM »
Along with 3WT's drawing.  I would suggest a good bus bar for a common ground.  I found out rewiring the Yamaha's to the add a battery setup is that the motors like a common ground.  The Perko is o.k. but I don't like to have to switch to each battery all the time. 

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/bep-marine--pro-installer-500-amp-4-stud-heavy-duty-bus-bar--14981682

VT
Boats owned:

2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)

Offline Mike Cronin

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 01:31:56 PM »
I like the idea of two fuse blocks. I have one and a busbar also that was in a junk box included with the boat. I may use that one in the rear since it doesn't have a cover and get a new one for the helm. It looks like there was an abandoned glass fuse strip that may have been original.
I'm still unclear if there is a way to power the accessories with the key or am I better off just adding a switch to do that?
Keep the suggestions coming, I need all I can get.
Mike

Have a 1990 Arima Sea Ranger

Online Danno

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 03:22:09 PM »
A key for the accessories is just one more thing to fail. Use the battery switch to power off the accessory power if you need it.
Previously owned a 1998 19' SR

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.