Author Topic: "Lucky" break - 2004 Suzuki df140 neutral safety switch failed  (Read 2303 times)

Offline AP

Talk about a "lucky" break...

I fished for a few hours on Friday.  Good fishing, great weather, and easy water conditions made for an uneventful trip.  I trailered home, put the muffs on to flush the main motor, turned the key (all gauges lit up and hear normal "beep"), and nothing.  Not even a click or voltage drop on the battery gauge.  I checked to make sure wasn't in gear and had the clip in the kill switch. 

After some internet searching and basic trobleshooting, I found a broken neutral safety switch in the engine compartment.  Despite a short, smooth trailer trip home that the boat has done 100 times before, the switch must have broken on the ride. 

I'm just incredible fortunate that it happened in my driveway and not 30 miles from home.  The part is on the starboard side, just BELOW what is accessible by removing the cowling.  Like many things that break, it is a crappy plastic piece with plastic threads, held on with a plastic nut.  The area where the threads connect to the rest of the switch simply gave way, at which point the whole switch moves rather than completing the circuit.  It appears engineered to fail.

Offline GregE

Re: "Lucky" break - 2004 Suzuki df140 neutral safety switch failed
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 01:44:37 PM »
Yikes   :bigshock:

Thanks for the heads up.
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline Danno

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 03:14:40 PM »
Don't blame the plastic. Blame the engineer that didn't engineer it properly with the right plastic!
Previously owned a 1998 19' SR

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Offline AP

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 05:56:04 PM »
As a follow-up, I temporarily cut the wires to the switch and connected them together to trick the engine into thinking it is in neutral (I recognize the purpose of the switch and the safety I'm temporarily giving up).  The engine fired up without issue so I decided to take the boat out.  After launching, I quickly discovered that the ECM was limiting the boat to a max of 3000 rpms.  I've since learned that there is a 3000 rpm limit when the boat is in neutral. 

Normally, with a functional neutral safety switch, the switch is engaged in neutral and then disengages as you put the boat into gear.  With my temp rigging, the boat believed it was in neutral which was good for starting but then caused problems when trying to get above 3000 in gear.  I've since installed a manual switch at the helm to function as my neutral safety switch.  It has to be on to get the motor to start and off to go over 3000 rpms.

The new $30 switch should show up next week, at which point, I can get rid of this goofy work-around.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:11:14 PM by AP »

Offline La-Z-Buoy

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 08:31:08 PM »
 :flag: American Ingenuity  :flag:   (OSHA is probably having a conniption fit  :clap:
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 10:28:22 PM »
Give your shift cable a good look-over.  It is possible the broken switch might be related to a failure in the cable.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 05:12:09 PM »

Don't blame the plastic or the engineer. Blame the guy who outsourced the part to China where they substituted a cheaper plastic and modified the injection mold tooling to make a thinner part.   :jester:

BTW....shouldn't there be a backing nut ?
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline NoEcm

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 11:45:15 AM »

Blame the guy who outsourced the part to China where they substituted a cheaper plastic and modified the injection mold tooling to make a thinner part.   :jester:

Or were the specs for the outsourced part below standard? I would think any company would check the finished part against the design specs before putting it into production.  Blindly putting an outsourced part into production without a quality check? What does that tell you about them? Profit before quality perhaps?

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 11:51:45 AM »

.....or it's an aftermarket part.   :stooges:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."