News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Thoughts on radar?

Started by DARice, February 03, 2024, 05:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DARice

Now that I have a perfect place to mount radar, it's a question of "when" not "if".

While the latest and greatest is tempting (low power digital radar), a lower budget is also appealing.

System setup:  I currently run a Garmin EchoMap 9" that meets all of my needs very well...but not my future needs when I add radar.

Same or separate screen as primary navigation?
I've been thinking that running radar on a separate display would have advantages, particularly now that I have lots of available dash real estate (or overhead). I'm sure that those who have radar have opinions--bring 'em on! My max screen size will be 9".

Of course if going to a single system with radar, I'd have to replace my 9" EchoMap. I do have ALL of the Garmin map upgrades which would transfer and am familiar with their systems. Of course, Simrad has great offerings, too.

Alternatively, I could continue to use the EchoMap for general navigation, AIS, and ff, and get a separate display for radar. If going that route, I gravitate toward finding something like a GPSMap 742xsv as the radar display and back up navigation system. I've seen lightly used systems at prices, radomes too, that make going with an older Furuno combo system unappealing (yes, still close to 2X the money of an older Furuno system, but less than 1/2 the price of a new mfd + radome.)

Looking forward to your opinions; I still need to let my wife recover a bit from my pilot house build...unless that magic opportunity crosses my bow.

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

longfield1

As I'm finishing up my pilot house I know I'm going to mount some sort of display up top. I don't know how many times I'm rigging up bait and have to ask my wife to please move a little bit so i can see depth/location/and any fish. Usually its depth/location as bottom fishing for us is always fighting the swell, current, and wind to stay in the area we want to. I would want 1 Garmin (the one i currently have echomap 94sv) tucked up top to display depth contour location, Then have the other one thats radar capable set up for Chirp/downscan/sidescan when fishing/trolling. But when underway in limited visibility have radar overlay on the map in the console.
1993 Arima Sea Ranger custom pilot house, Suzuki DF140, Garmin Reactor 40 kicker autopilot

fishmeister

Try this on for size!!!

1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

fishmeister

My pic is a General Electric AN/TPS-59 radar.  Repairing this was my MOS in the Marine Corps.  Yes, that is two people on a maintenance platform elevator that runs up the back side of the array.

The range on this is awesome.  Just not sure how to mount it on a pilot house. :jester:
1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

Hunter

Love my Garmin Fantom 18 HD Radar: Actually shows travel direction and identifies threat level by color. Could not be any simpler.
Instead of just showing location of a target (vessel)as a"Mark" on every rotation cycle, it shows a ghost trail that clearly identifies the direction that the threat is traveling. Also, it automatically assesses your direction of travel and the targets direction of travel and paints the target green if is not considered a threat and red if it is considered a threat. Also, the radar will overlay on any screen so doesn't require a separate display. 

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

JDB

I've got separate radar from sonar/GPS display.  It works fine, but I seldom use the radar, but when I do it's because I need it (better to have and not need...).  Convenience of an integrated system would be nice, but my fun budget just got really small so it'll be years until I can entertain the thought of the upgrade.
'04 21 SR Skip '24 Merc 150 4S ProXS 04 Honda BF8
'19 Lund Fury 16SS '19 30HP ETEC

Action Front!

Hydroman

Quote from: DARice on February 03, 2024, 05:36:12 PMNow that I have a perfect place to mount radar, it's a question of "when" not "if".

While the latest and greatest is tempting (low power digital radar), a lower budget is also appealing.

System setup:  I currently run a Garmin EchoMap 9" that meets all of my needs very well...but not my future needs when I add radar.

Same or separate screen as primary navigation?
I've been thinking that running radar on a separate display would have advantages, particularly now that I have lots of available dash real estate (or overhead). I'm sure that those who have radar have opinions--bring 'em on! My max screen size will be 9".

Of course if going to a single system with radar, I'd have to replace my 9" EchoMap. I do have ALL of the Garmin map upgrades which would transfer and am familiar with their systems. Of course, Simrad has great offerings, too.

Alternatively, I could continue to use the EchoMap for general navigation, AIS, and ff, and get a separate display for radar. If going that route, I gravitate toward finding something like a GPSMap 742xsv as the radar display and back up navigation system. I've seen lightly used systems at prices, radomes too, that make going with an older Furuno combo system unappealing (yes, still close to 2X the money of an older Furuno system, but less than 1/2 the price of a new mfd + radome.)

Looking forward to your opinions; I still need to let my wife recover a bit from my pilot house build...unless that magic opportunity crosses my bow.

Dave
My previous 2 boat had radar, one with stand-alone mfd * radome, the other an intergrade unit. My preference was the 2 separate unit. My preference may have been different if the MFD had been larger on the intergraded unit.

I do not have a radar unit on my new boat and not sure I can justify the cost. The 2 seasons that I have owned my new boat I have only fished the Columbia and the few times that I have encountered fog I have felt comfortable.  The GPS/chartploter and AIS has provided needed info that I have never felt that I was ever in danger.

If I was operating in the ocean I would probably feel different.   

17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Kimbrey

I'm a fan of separate screens especially for radar if you have the ability to have two screens.  But....the below picture is a shot of some of the screens, not all that I had on the bridge of the last boat I skippered before retiring so it's kind of ingrained.

The radar picture gets kind of small when in split screen mode on a 9" screen.

Furuno is very hard to beat but I think most brands are good now-a-days.  Without doing a bunch of research I think Furuno has a wireless unit that you can use on a tablet.  Might be worth a look see.
FA5B8423-900A-470D-9707-2C7F63C1C7F5_1_105_c.jpeg
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

calcoast

It depends on how often you use it and what you use it for. I have a Simrad 4G radar attached to a 12 inch evo3. I think the 4G radar would be considered on the inexpensive side now. It is great for safety/navigating.

I use it to navigate in the dark and fog mostly. When it is clear it is not used. In the fog situation the screen is split radar/chart. Sometimes i split the screen three ways and the radar screen is still usable. You should check out a MFD in demo mode and see if the screen size is usable for you.

If you are looking for anything other than navigation help from your radar, you will need someone elses input.
2017 19 Sea Chaser Skip Top
2017 Honda BF 135
2019 Yamaha 9.9

DARice

Great feedback! I did get excited about the Furuno First Watch radar that displays on a tablet when it came out. There are many who cite poor performance, including large close targets that aren't displayed. Then again, that's the Internet.

I work hard to avoid fog, including not launching, but it has found me a few times anyway. In light fog, with plenty of visibility for 'responsible' boaters, having radar would be a big benefit, too—at least out of Garibaldi during salmon season it seems there often a few guys in sleds that go full tilt whether they can see or not.

Based on how radar operates it seems that the newer radar systems have big benefits when it comes to smaller, faster, closer targets, in addition to sipping power. Very happy if those conclusions are wrong and more reflective of marketing.

Dave

DARice

I agree with Hydroman that operating on the Columbia I'm comfortable without radar. I do find AIS extremely helpful on the river, and it displays the most dangerous targets long before they reach line-of-sight. Those container ships move with surprising speed and take up a lot of the river.

Dave

croaker stroker

There are too many crazies in my area with big fast boats who do not care much about the safety of others. I wish all boats over a certain length/horsepower were required to have AIS transmitters. (Not just commercial ships)

I replaced my Furuno 1623 with a new HALO radar.

Although the Furuno was an awesome Radar, I just wanted only one display on the dash.

I did make the Furuno raydome removable, but the HALO is not.

I absolutely cannot justify the expense. Just another toy that can be a lifesaver if ever needed. 

If you are concerned about cost, I would go with the Furuno. (Although there is a slight radiation safety issue)
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

christianbrat

im glad AIS isnt required so I don't have stalkers stealing my fishing spots
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

croaker stroker

Quote from: christianbrat on February 04, 2024, 04:08:09 PMim glad AIS isnt required so I don't have stalkers stealing my fishing spots

sharing is caring  :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

disposable

I think it really depends on how, and how often, you use the radar. Personally, I need a few times per year at most, and I don't need to read braille, just notice if that cliff/container ship is getting closer. Old furuno for me. Newer is better, but 1-3000$ is a lot of gas money.

And personally I like separate screen, but I have some real estate to spare with the house.  I chose to put the radar overhead, near center, so my passenger can also keep an eye on it if necessary.
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

GoodDays

On my work boat we run a system that can be layered over the Nav screen and show radar on top of the chart or it can be run stand alone on a seperate screen.  Really depends what we are doing and what other tools we have up on the secondary screen , (Flir etc) 

Takes a bit of getting used to on the overlay screen but it is super nice in poor vis. 

GoodDays Greg

croaker stroker

Good point greg! I should have mentioned that. The HALO overlays on my SIMRAD Navionics map. 

I intended to share some screenshots but between viruses, grandkids birthdays, and weather, I have not had the boat out in a while.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

DARice

Quote from: fishmeister on February 03, 2024, 06:25:30 PMTry this on for size!!!

Finally! A radar system proportional to my pilot house!!!

croaker stroker

Quote from: DARice on February 06, 2024, 01:24:32 PM
Quote from: fishmeister on February 03, 2024, 06:25:30 PMTry this on for size!!!

That thing will make your gonads vibrate!

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

DARice

Quote from: croaker stroker on February 06, 2024, 01:35:14 PM
Quote from: DARice on February 06, 2024, 01:24:32 PM

That thing will make your gonads vibrate!

Is that a bad thing?

Dave

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Kimbrey

Speaking of large sized radar's.  I don't think our boats would support it or supply enough electricity to turn it on.  Late winter & early spring we'd fish South of it for P-cod.  This is on Shemya Island which is in the last group of Islands in the Aleutian chain.  We called this radar the Darth Vader building.  Weird to see sitting out on that rock of an Island.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Hunter

Quote from: Kimbrey on February 06, 2024, 06:37:01 PMSpeaking of large sized radar's.  I don't think our boats would support it or supply enough electricity to turn it on.  Late winter & early spring we'd fish South of it for P-cod.  This is on Shemya Island which is in the last group of Islands in the Aleutian chain.  We called this radar the Darth Vader building.  Weird to see sitting out on that rock of an Island.

Being in the PAC NW......sure nice to know it's there........ And I've heard that there are folks from AK who apparently are of the opinion that " I can see Russia from my house"..     
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"