News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Future combo unit with radar capabilities.

Started by amazing grace, November 03, 2023, 12:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazing grace

Looking for some thoughts. I have a Furuno 1870 unit now.
Wondering about possibly selling it and a couple other units I have sitting idle {Ray Marine A50D and Furuno 4100} to upgrade to a newer unit with the ability to add radar down the road.

I would need to do on a budget basis as we are working on some upgrades on the boat now.

Wondering what your thoughts are on a unit that would be something that fits the bill. Don't need a huge screen obviously. 

This is on my 19SRHT.

Simrad, Furuno, Lowrance, Raymarine, Garmin, etc?

What options am I looking at?

I do have an older Lowrance HDS-8 that was on my C-Dory when I got it 10 years ago.

Thanks guys.

1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

martin3

I am still fan of Garmin.  But A lot of guys are using SIMRAD EVO now.

If you do go Garmin.....look to buy GPSMAPS XS or XVS. 
Radar is plug and play on these models.
Stay away from ECHOMap series.....they do not run radar.

You can find the 741XS/941XS or newer 742xs/941xs used at decent price.

MJM3

1990 SR Skip Top  "Gypsea Soul"
2013 Etec 115H.O.

headduck

I've been really hip on new old lowrance. Got the carbon 12, 2 season's ago, and the hds live 7 as a companion/kayak screen.

I've been happy... but some folks have a strong opinion regarding the brand... and other things... I'm sure.  :beerchug:
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

ohmytodd

I'm completely happy with the Garmin 943xsv. I came over from Lowrance and really prefer the garmin OS. Adding radar, autopilot, motor connection and heading sensor have been plug and play.

The only thing I'd like more is the 12"
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

fishmeister

I'm happy with my Garmin EchoMap.  But, I don't have plans for radar.  Martin is correct that the EchoMap is not compatible with radar. 

If you go with Garmin, be sure to check out what map package is included.  Mine came with "LakeVUE" charts (excellent lake charts).  The downside is that the included bay, sound, and ocean charts sucked.  Had to pony up for a subscription to be able to download the high-quality saltwater charts.
1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

croaker stroker

I have a Simrad G09 and Halo Radar. Furuno is pricey, but you get what you pay for. 
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

amazing grace

Thanks guys. My brief and initial searching says that a Simrad is probably best bang for the buck on the FF/chartplotter. But looking at adding radar down the road Garmin may win out price wise once said and done. If the halo radar unit could be had for the garmin unit it would definitely win out.

Croaker are you happy with your system? $900  for a Simrad unit seems good as the Garmin unit is more like $1400.

Have not looked and RM yet.   

Again, thanks guys for your thoughts. 
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

martin3

What size screen are looking to buy?

Here is a really good deal on a 743XSV.
Seller is trusted member on Bloodydecks.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/classifieds/garmin-743xsv.32400/

He has another good buy on an used 741.
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/classifieds/garmin-gpsmap-7608xsv-741.31965/

I'm pretty sure both are still available.
I bet he would give you a deal on both.....maybe a grand for both.

Network them together with GARMIN cable.
That is how I am set up.
I like having double 7" screens over one larger screen.

MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

croaker stroker

Quote from: amazing grace on November 04, 2023, 06:29:01 AMThanks guys. My brief and initial searching says that a Simrad is probably best bang for the buck on the FF/chartplotter. But looking at adding radar down the road Garmin may win out price wise once said and done. If the halo radar unit could be had for the garmin unit it would definitely win out.

Croaker are you happy with your system? $900  for a Simrad unit seems good as the Garmin unit is more like $1400.

Have not looked and RM yet. 

Again, thanks guys for your thoughts. 

It works really good. The screen resolution is a little lacking compared to my previous Humminbird, but the Humminbird was a 7" and the Simrad is a 9". They don't tell you "pixels per inch" they always list Total Pixels across the screen. So, larger screens with the same number of Pixels are more "Pixelated".

I like the Halo radar because the dome is near my face and it doesn't output much, so eye damage is not as much of a concern. (It is considered as "safe") However, the old Furuno 1723 worked great although I  always felt like I was being radiated when it was on and I wanted the radar to overlay the map.

I also like the Simrad VHS which outputs AIS info to the GO9.

I'm sure there are better units out there, but I am happy with what I have for the money.

I use the Navionics "Relief Shading" a lot and I am mainley looking for Structure on the sounder. I typically use the standard 83 or 200 setting. Although I have "fish reveal" and "Chirp" I find myself reverting to what I am used to.

Honestly the old Lowrance 1500 paper chart caught just as many fish. Bottom line, the more time with your line in the water and the less time with your head in the electronics, the more fish you will catch 😂

You will need an electronic compass of some kind to work with the Radar. I have a cheap Garmin "Steady Cast".

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

amazing grace

Quote from: martin3 on November 04, 2023, 09:00:22 AMWhat size screen are looking to buy?

That is how I am set up.

That would be a good set up. You could add radar and have a tad over $2k.  Which is about as cheap as you could do?

I guess you would have the 741gps display radar and the 743 as your plotter/ff?

How do you have the two 7" unit configured on your Arima?

Thanks 
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

martin3

Quote from: amazing grace on November 04, 2023, 10:53:02 AM
Quote from: martin3 on November 04, 2023, 09:00:22 AMWhat size screen are looking to buy?

That is how I am set up.

That would be a good set up. You could add radar and have a tad over $2k.  Which is about as cheap as you could do?

I guess you would have the 741gps display radar and the 743 as your plotter/ff?

How do you have the two 7" unit configured on your Arima?

Thanks 

If you add in the network cable,  you can display whatever you want on each screen.
Plug all your input (transducer, radar, NEMA, etc) cables into the new unit.....and the older 741 is just secondary screen.
The network cable allows full functionality between the units.

I have one unit on drivers side and the 2nd screen on middle of the dash.
Usually I run GPS/radar on the dash and FF on full screen in the middle.
I feel the FF in the middle unit allows you and passenger to easily see the screen.
Plus the view is better from back of the boat when fishing.

I have smart gauges for my etec,  so I did not want put both screens at the dash location.
Just a preference thing.
MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

Tj805

I'm running furuno and have really be enjoying it the last few seasons .
I'm sure other brands are good, but for me it's furuno from here on out .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

amazing grace

Thanks Martin, that is a nice setup. I too like Furuno. Maybe not as many bells and whistles, but rock solid.

I think we have a plan. It is going to be stand pat for while (Furuno)
and then take a more non traditional approach down the road.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the thoughts.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

DARice

Thoughts on having a separate radar system from the MFD? I'm happy with my Garmin EchoMap and would like to add radar down the road. Upgrading to a GPSMap and Fantom radar is the ideal, but I'll have trouble justifying that expense (to myself) as I complete my PH build and expenses.

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

Hydroman

I have had Lowrance, Furuno and Ray Marine.  The Furuno was the NavNetIII System with all of the bells and whistles, Radar, AIS and flux gate compass. I installed this system in my 27' TJ OS in 2008 when the purchased the boat new. Never had any issues and still performed as new when sold boat in 2022. Only negative was cost, if I remember right, it was just short of $10K when I purchased in 2008.

I now have Ray Marine, sonar/GPS/AIS with touch screen display and find it much more cumbersome to maneuver thru the functions. The Furuno has multifunction function push buttons and track ball for control.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim

17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

FishAddict

I have had full radar, ap, 1k chirp and dual head units with Furuno TZT3, Simrad Evo and Lowrance HDS and New to me Raymarine Axiom.  I find each has certain features that I like more than the other.  For AP and Radar my favorite is Furuno, I like the sonar controls better in Simrad and the GPS mapping is better with Simrad/Lowrance or Raymarine over Furuno.  I have only had one small Garmin unit and been on boats that I did the install and I liked the sonar and the GPS maps.  The AP seemed decent on the Garmin I installed but I don't have a bunch of hours operating it compared to the other brands.
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

Domesticated Pinhead

Furuno has and will always be the superior marine electronics manufacturer.

I've had them all and nothing comes close to a TZT3 and associated toys (SCX-20, radar, NavPilot 300)
21 SR

Kimbrey

Quote from: Domesticated Pinhead on November 23, 2023, 06:03:01 PMFuruno has and will always be the superior marine electronics manufacturer.

I've had them all and nothing comes close to a TZT3 and associated toys (SCX-20, radar, NavPilot 300)
Yup agree.  They also probably have the best service in the industry.  I've used a lot of their commercial products through the years...current dopplers, radars, sonars and fish finders.  One thing about them is not much goes wrong.  Replace brushes and magnetrons in the radars once in awhile (maintenance items).  I have a couple TZT3's which seem to be very good.  Charting is good but could be better with bathy shading but they are supposed to be coming out with something better soon as far as I understand.  Pleasantly pleased with the NavPilot 300. SCX-20 is a game changer I feel for the Pilots and radars plus you get pitch smoothing on the sounder from it.  I have a friend I worked with through the years was Furuno USA's main sounder/sonar guy.  Bummer he is retired now as I lost a good contact.  He said Furuno tests and tests a product before they release it.  When I was buying my TZT3's he felt they got the internal sounder right on those units.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

PNWMatt2023

I was recently on the same hunt as well, Amazing Grace...Was really lucky and came across a heck of a find on FB Marketplace for a New Garmin 1042XSV w/out Transducer for $790 plus tax, so keep an eye out there as well! I have heard that Garmin is pretty easy to learn and navigate through. I also wanted a unit that could check off all three components, Nav/FF/Radar. Where I am stuck on is, the transducer... Currently, my SC 19 has older Raytheon units installed and I want to get the new unit up and running... I could go out and purchase the $200 stock garmin transom mount ducer, but many friends have said that upgrading to a 1kw unit would produce more favorable results in regard to reading displays on the screen. I'm looking into the Airmar TM275lhw unit. I am going to wait until Spring or so before I purchase the Radar Dome, as I won't be going further offshore until May or so. I did like the selling feature (as mentioned above) that the radar is a simple cable plug n play! Best of luck in your search!

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸